Torn insertion point

hi there

i am new to the yoga forums, and have enjoyed reading. thank you very much, it is a wonderful resource!

i am relatively new in my practice and unfortunately seem to have injured myself. ironically during class the instructor talked about how sometimes in yoga you can injure an ‘insertion point’ which she described further and pointed to her rear, underneath the cheek of the bottom. i am thinking this must be where the quad enters into the bone, at the top of the leg.

(sorry my terminology is not very good)

anyway, two days or so after that class, i awoke early from pain in my lower back. it kept me from sleeping so i arose early and proceeded to carry myself as usual. walking my dogs seemed to lesson the pain completely, but the next morning, the same repeated itself. that was yesterday. last night i soaked in epsom salt, and used two advil for some sleep and awoke rested, however it is feeling more painful today.

the pain is not so much in the lower back, as it is in my left rear cheek, radiating to the lower back and down the left leg.

can you help me understand what this is and what i should do? is it very serious? shall i go to my doctor or is that an overreaction?

i am guessing i should not be practicing so i am not, and will take rest until i feel better.

any help is greatly appreciated, i cannot seem to find much information on this anywhere else.

blessings to you!

andrea

Sounds like a strain to your hamstrings. Apparently your teacher is new to learning anatomy these concepts take some time to learn. The hamstrings are the muscles whose origin (end point nearest to the head - as contrasted with the insertion point farthest away from the head) are under the buttocks attaching directly to the sitz (ishium) bones. They are antagonistic (opposite) to the quadriceps. They extend the hip and flex the knee - move the thigh backward and bend the knees, when they contract. They are most commonly injuried by forward bending. It sounds like a minor injury as you recovered well from walking. I would suggest you let your teacher know the situtation and pass along my message to modify forward bends by keepign your knees bent until you more fully recover. I find that taking a warm bath using Bath Therapy (brand name) mineral salts (which you can find at a health food store) works wonders in a couple of days.