Torn meniscus - knee pain

may have torn my left meniscus, and have been unable to find good advice on whether to stabilize the knee and stay off of it, or continue moving and promoting circulation. I continue practice of Pavanmuktasana, though the ankle eversions are painful. After the first week, I stopped all Trikonasana and warrior poses because of ensuing pain.
I will get results of the MRI tomorrow and have engaged a chiropractor as well as an orthopedist to look at them. Do you know anything about the arthroscopic surgery? What I have researched so far leads me to believe that a torn meniscus is almost impossible to heal without the surgery, which often has people walking again within days. People I’ve spoken with who’ve tried alternatives for several years still have pain and usually wind up getting the surgical fix 2 - 5 years later. Any advice or guidance would be useful. I’m using ice for pain, arnica topically and internally (homeopathic). Also bromelain, glucosamine, and MSM for tissue repair. You are an angel, Mukunda, and your love and knowledge are deeply appreciated. Blessings, M

I assume you mean a medial meniscus (cartilage) tear, as this is the most common. A lateral tear is rare. I have suffered from this too when I was a teenager and had surgery. In those days the surgery was poor and I had trouble with the knee for the next 5 years until I began to create what is now called Structural Yoga Therapy. These days the surgery is quite excellent and prognosis for it is excellent. I do know of students who have gone without surgery and are fine no pain. I cannot give recommendations without knowing more – which meniscus is torn? I assume medial, as eversion would be most likely to cause pain. Main recommendation is do only the joint freeing series, nothing more. All other products you are using sound like a good idea. If you were here I would also do bodywork with a product from Dr. Christopher’s Natures Way called BF & S liniment. This is only sold through practitioners but it is excellent for healing connective tissue. There was a formula of the herbs in capsule form but I believe that is no longer available.

he MRI shows I have a tibial head bone bruise and micro-fracture and perhaps not a meniscus tear, they don’t believe. The pictures looked good, but inconclusive. The orthopedist Dr. Weiss says to stay away from any weight bearing that is painful (and it is) for 6 weeks and let it heal. If it doesn’t, then we will look at a possible anterior to medial meniscus tear and the surgery. So after a month of being on and off the leg, it’s now stabilized in a knee brace and I’m glued to the chair. Meditating lots and practicing Pavanmuktasana, writing and sending new material out to publishers again. And if you have different recommendations for a bone bruise/micro fracture. Blessings, M

I would give the same recommendations for this diagnosis too. I would continue to mobilize it with the joint freeing series 2 or even 3 times a day. That should be most helpful with both pain and any potential for swelling provided you avoid any stressful weight bearing poses like cat. Blessings to you too. Mukund