Trataka -Candle Gazing-

Sio i started with Trataka 7 months ago.

Each night im gazing at top of the candle light.

The first few months it was kinda difficult then i kinda started getting used to it. So each night i gaze for like 15 - 20 min.

But now the strange thing is i dont feel the flame so much its not irritating my eyes at all. No tears comming out …

Why is it like this ?

It is a natural to get the difficulty level to go down with increased practice in any human endeavour, as with regular practice it becomes a habit. And what earlier seems to unnatural and difficult becomes natural.
Eyes not getting contineusly irritated and tears not coming out, even after a long practice post 6 weeks, is not a crietria that you are not deriving benefit of.
Make sure to practice the techniques correctly and do not increase your practice beyond 20 minutes per day except under contineus personal guidance of an expert.

[QUOTE=HealthAndYoga;70735]Make sure to practice the techniques correctly and do not increase your practice beyond 20 minutes per day except under contineus personal guidance of an expert.[/QUOTE]

Are you telling me that because hormonal imbalance would take place if gazing more then 20 min ?

[QUOTE=wickeddeath2;70973]Are you telling me that because hormonal imbalance would take place if gazing more then 20 min ?[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily. Mild to moderate practice of 20 minutes is recommended to the person living normal life. Increased practice need deliberate change in diet, life styles under guidance of an experienced guru. It is secret path. Beyond 20 minutes practice may lead to experiences that may need to be related, guided and channelized.
Vijay Singh Gusain

[QUOTE=HealthAndYoga;70980]Not necessarily. Mild to moderate practice of 20 minutes is recommended to the person living normal life. Increased practice need deliberate change in diet, life styles under guidance of an experienced guru. It is secret path. Beyond 20 minutes practice may lead to experiences that may need to be related, guided and channelized.
Vijay Singh Gusain[/QUOTE]

Thanks ill keep that in my mind. :wink:

It’s not a secret mystic path. What you are doing is building your attention with this excercise. Basically building your brain. There is nothing secret or mystical about it, at least not at this type of level.

What you need to do is really push your training. Keep doing it with a candle for 20min a day since that helps to balance brain chemistry. But I would suggest that you bump your training and start doing both external and internal tratak. Focus on a external object like a fruit or toy. For internal just use a mental image like a soccer ball or anything. Push your training to 30min or an hour. Once you are feel good turn on the tv or put on some music, and try to train with the distraction. Words and music will create imagery in your mind and take your attention away, when this happens just go back to your focused image and keep holding it in place. Work up to 1 hour, or 2 or 3. Being completely 100 percent focused on what you are doing is the goal.

Your mind and brain are like muscles that can be strengthened, but only when you truly build them. You have been doing tratak for 6 months and have barely gone past 20min. Does a runner just stick to the same routine day in and out. No he pushes himself, he sprints, he lifts weights, he challenges himself. Same thing needs to be done with mind/ brain training.

[QUOTE=HealthAndYoga;70980]Not necessarily. Mild to moderate practice of 20 minutes is recommended to the person living normal life. Increased practice need deliberate change in diet, life styles under guidance of an experienced guru. It is secret path. Beyond 20 minutes practice may lead to experiences that may need to be related, guided and channelized.
Vijay Singh Gusain[/QUOTE]

Do you offer mentoring on Trataka? Or can you recommend an expert on this technique?

I’ve started practicing it based on the Bihar Yoga books, and I’m finding excellent results so far. But need to clarify some points.