Travel Yoga Mat On Carpet

I travel regularly for work and want to practice in my hotel room. The problem is it’s all carpet. What travel mat do you recommend? Tried Manduka eKo Super Lite and it kept curling up on carpet. Tried hotel towel or bed sheet both move around and slip. The thought of just using the carpet seems gross.

Any recommendations?

Yoga mat material is a matter of personal preference, beliefs, and how it reacts to your body.

Polyvinyl chloride (PVC): This is the stuff that keeps slippage to a minimum, is durable, provides the most “give”, and tends to be the cheapest material. A concern with PVC, without going into too much detail, is that it contains phthalates — substances that have been linked to health issues and negative impacts on the environment.

Cotton: A cotton mat helps to absorb sweat and can increase grip when wet, but doesn’t provide a lot of give.
Recycled, natural rubber: It may not be as sticky as a PVC mat, but will still provide great grip. People with latex allergies, however, should avoid it.

Cork: A natural (though expensive) material that becomes grippier with moisture, but tends to absorb sweat and be difficult to clean.

Jute: Made from the fiber of a jute plant, this stuff keeps you in place due to Polymer Environmental Resin (PER), a nontoxic material. Jute has the added bonus of having antimicrobial properties for those extra-sweaty practices.

I use a Manduka at home and on wood floor it’s great. Guess I’ll have to buy, try and return till I find a travel mat that works on hotel carpet.

Practicing yoga on hotel carpets can be tricky, huh? It's tough finding a travel mat that doesn’t slip or curl. Maybe look for a mat that's made for grip, even on soft surfaces. And since you’re on the road a lot, peeping some cheapair reviews might help you snag hotels with better workout spaces. Nothing beats a good stretch after a long day, so I hope you find that perfect mat soon!