Triphala and Chyvanaprash

I had an ashtanga teacher tell me that most ashtangis should be taking triphala and chyvanaprash. Ive done a bit of research o the interwebz, but found not much by way of a decent conclusion. Im trying some right now, ‘Himalaya’ brand, but have not noticed much. I have spoken with my good friend who is a TCM herbalist and accupuncturist and he said something along the lines of a nutritional prescription depends entirely on the individual, so a generalization such as ‘if you practice ashtanga you should take XYZ’ is short sighted. At any rate, does anyone have some insight about these?

Thanks!

Well, I have started recently to consume Chyawanprash. It is very good, both as a food
and as general tonic.

It is made of 30–40 herbs and spices. It is like marmelade; just use it on a piece of bread. The effects are great.

To my knowledge, there are four commercial producers: Dabur, Organic India, Himalaya,
and Banyan. I suppose that housekeepers in India make it themselves.

In America, you can buy it online…but it is rather expensive. If you go to local Indian grocery stores, you find it much cheaper.

Oh, I got my bottle for ten bucks at a local herb store but have seen it on amazon for about the same price + shipping.

Your response highlights one of my actual questions… what does it tonify? Cause, for example if it tonifies lung/liver then taking it during a chest cold or something then if could possibly tonify a pathogen (if Im thinking this through correctly).

[QUOTE=Karma Senge;80838]Oh, I got my bottle for ten bucks at a local herb store but have seen it on amazon for about the same price + shipping.

Your response highlights one of my actual questions… what does it tonify? Cause, for example if it tonifies lung/liver then taking it during a chest cold or something then if could possibly tonify a pathogen (if Im thinking this through correctly).[/QUOTE]

It is a general tonic, good for many things:

Thank you sir!

Himalaya brand contains preservatives, so does Dabur brand. Ashwagandha is a nightshade, so I do not take chyawanprash. If you do take it, it is is recommended to eat milk with it to avoid pitta predominance.