Trouble with Nasal Breathing during Yoga due to Deviated Septum

Hello, I’ve been getting more involved with my yoga practice over the past year or so. I’ve always tended to breathe through my mouth due to a mild deviated septum making nasal breathing more challenging. My yoga teacher indicated that in order to achieve the full benefits from your yoga practice, breathing fully through your nose is preferable. Surgery is not something I want to pursue right now, but I really want to be able to focus on breathing in the proper way during class, but it can be frustrating because I feel like I’m not “doing it right…”

I know that a deviated septum is an anatomical issue, but was wondering if there are any non-surgical options for alleviating the symptoms to make nasal breathing during yoga easier in order to fully access the benefits of the practice? Does anyone else have this problem too?

Thank you for any suggestions!

Tara

Tara, I would breathe anyway you need to, to be comfortable in class. Maybe instead of focusing so strongly on your breathing, focus instead on what your body is feeling and doing in each pose; focus on cultivating a steady quiet ease in the mind. There is no “right” way to do yoga, just what is right for you in that moment.

1 Like