Truth about Vitamin D

Greetings all!

I was recently diagnosed with severe Vitamin D deficiency. My level was 16 and should be between 30-80. I found this interesting as I am also a master gardener and am out in the sun (minus sunscreen) every day. I go outside for periods of 20-30 minutes at a time. I repeat this cycle throughout the day during Spring, Summer and Fall. I try to refrain from showering every day, except for those days where I do a lot of “dirty work” out in the yard, as I know your skin needs the oil to assimilate D. My Doctor immediately put me on RX Vitamin D, 50,000I.U. I take it once a week for 3 months. After 2 months, which is next week, he wants my levels rechecked.

Here is my question. After doing quite a bit of research on D, I have found that RX D is D2. D3 (human based) is naturally more easily assimilated while D2(plant/synthetic) is not. D2 should be toxic taken at the higher dosage, like me, but it is not. Why? The body can’t assimilate it. Case study after study has shown that Vitamin D2 (RX D) will elevate your level of D, but only in the short term. These studies have also shown that Vitamin D3 therapy will not only elevate your level but will sustain it in the long term. D2 is not very bioavailable, meaning short duration and poor stability. The GI tract is incapable of absorbing and the kidney’s can’t convert D to its active form. (D is fat soluble) Unlike D2, D3 is readily absorbed. In Vitamin D deficiency, the parathyroid becomes overactive, altering calcium metabolism. When replenished, it goes back to normal levels. This is not the case with Vitamin D2. In the Journal of Endocrinologist and Metabolism, they also show the same results in a recent study of D2 and D3. They state D2 and D3 are not one in the same. So, back to my question. Why are Doctors prescribing D2 for patients with Vitamin D deficiency? If D3 is readily absorbed and sustained, why would a Doctor prescribe the form of D that is not readily absorbed and sustained? I have no doubt it is the mighty pharmaceutical companies. So yogini’s, what are your thoughts or experiences with Vitamin D a/o Vitamin D deficiency?

When my Doctor phones me with the results of my lab work, I will discuss this with him. Fortunately, he is very open to alternative therapies. If my levels are well within the normal range, I will ask him about taking Vitamin D3 as a supplement at a higher dosage for maintenance of my levels. If my levels are still low, Biotech has D3 in 50,000I.U.'s, and I will ask him if I can try this instead.

Part of the overall problem here is there are few foods rich in vitamin D. This is especially problematic in Vegans and Vegetarians. Foods that are rich in D include, eggs (the yolk has 25 I.U), cod liver oil, liver and salmon. So you can see the difficulty in getting the recommended amount.

One final thought. Check your milk. Make sure it is Vitamin D3 enriched. Many are D2. Horizon Organic milk is D3 fortified. Silk and Almond Breeze are D2 fortified. And not only your milk, but all foods that are labeled D fortified.

I was honestly horrified at what I uncovered about all this. Thoughts?

[QUOTE=lotusgirl;52087]Greetings all!

I was recently diagnosed with severe Vitamin D deficiency. My level was 16 and should be between 30-80. I found this interesting as I am also a master gardener and am out in the sun (minus sunscreen) every day. I go outside for periods of 20-30 minutes at a time. I repeat this cycle throughout the day during Spring, Summer and Fall. I try to refrain from showering every day, except for those days where I do a lot of “dirty work” out in the yard, as I know your skin needs the oil to assimilate D. My Doctor immediately put me on RX Vitamin D, 50,000I.U. I take it once a week for 3 months. After 2 months, which is next week, he wants my levels rechecked.

Here is my question. After doing quite a bit of research on D, I have found that RX D is D2. D3 (human based) is naturally more easily assimilated while D2(plant/synthetic) is not. D2 should be toxic taken at the higher dosage, like me, but it is not. Why? The body can’t assimilate it. Case study after study has shown that Vitamin D2 (RX D) will elevate your level of D, but only in the short term. These studies have also shown that Vitamin D3 therapy will not only elevate your level but will sustain it in the long term. D2 is not very bioavailable, meaning short duration and poor stability. The GI tract is incapable of absorbing and the kidney’s can’t convert D to its active form. (D is fat soluble) Unlike D2, D3 is readily absorbed. In Vitamin D deficiency, the parathyroid becomes overactive, altering calcium metabolism. When replenished, it goes back to normal levels. This is not the case with Vitamin D2. In the Journal of Endocrinologist and Metabolism, they also show the same results in a recent study of D2 and D3. They state D2 and D3 are not one in the same. So, back to my question. Why are Doctors prescribing D2 for patients with Vitamin D deficiency? If D3 is readily absorbed and sustained, why would a Doctor prescribe the form of D that is not readily absorbed and sustained? I have no doubt it is the mighty pharmaceutical companies. So yogini’s, what are your thoughts or experiences with Vitamin D a/o Vitamin D deficiency?

When my Doctor phones me with the results of my lab work, I will discuss this with him. Fortunately, he is very open to alternative therapies. If my levels are well within the normal range, I will ask him about taking Vitamin D3 as a supplement at a higher dosage for maintenance of my levels. If my levels are still low, Biotech has D3 in 50,000I.U.'s, and I will ask him if I can try this instead.

Part of the overall problem here is there are few foods rich in vitamin D. This is especially problematic in Vegans and Vegetarians. Foods that are rich in D include, eggs (the yolk has 25 I.U), cod liver oil, liver and salmon. So you can see the difficulty in getting the recommended amount.

One final thought. Check your milk. Make sure it is Vitamin D3 enriched. Many are D2. Horizon Organic milk is D3 fortified. Silk and Almond Breeze are D2 fortified. And not only your milk, but all foods that are labeled D fortified.

I was honestly horrified at what I uncovered about all this. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Tell me about your diet and “we” might be able to work it out.

Also

“the context for the test”

I see your in ohio yes? Well its been damn cold here winter and all so I would imagine your sun exposure would be much less. Consequently your D levels ‘might’ appear low. This is simple cause and effect. I dont’ see this as a crisis.

The natural ‘manufacturing process’ involving "d’ and ‘sunlight’ is an ongoing process . . .
Once the body gets enough sun light on the skin it will shut off the process that ‘manufactures’ the natural form of D. HOW AMAZING THE BODY IS? !!!

Supplementary Vitamin D is fat soluble along with Vitamin E, and I think perhaps K (not sure on the K)

I would caution against the supplementation of fat soluble vitamins as excess amounts will be stored in Fat Tissue. (google this please) Whereas with Water Soluble vitamins (man made) - excessive amounts are simply excreted through the urine. This is not so with (man made) fat soluble vitamins.

They are fat stored and as their levels increase within the fatty tissue this can lead to cellular toxicity. This toxicity can cause all manner of seemingly unrelated problems.

I am no fan of supplementation for Many reasons.

I don’t think your low levels of D should be viewed as a Crisis. I think it’s simply a result of being inside for the winter.

When the sun is out enjoy it for 15 minutes or so. Your “d” levels should then be just fine.

Remember the Context of the Test!

The Nature of natural D production.

That Man made Fat Soluble vitamins can build up to toxic levels within the fat stores.

An area of inquiry could be "how long does natural "d’ levels , due to the sun conversion, stay viable within the body? " If I had to guess I would say not that long… Certainly not over a winter. But there is sun in the winter is there not? Where I work, during the winter the sun, if I can see him through the clouds, is in my window all day long.

Also I would bet that if you took no supplementation and retook the ‘test’ during the spring when your outside everyday all would look well on the ‘test’ concerning the levels of 'd." They would be just fine.

The doctor would then probably think “i’m a genius.” “the supplements worked as they should!”

When in reality it was simply Mother Nature’s Sun providing her child with what she needs. As she does so well.

Remember supplementation of “man made” vitamin D, and E can lead to toxicity because the body stores excessive amounts of that form of vitamin D in Fatty tissue.

Whereas the Intelligence of the body simply shuts off the natural sunlight conversion process of ‘d’ when the appropriate levels are reached. All without you even thinking about it.

Nature has been doing her thing for so very long. She’s very good at what she does.

Eat and live in Harmony with nature and all will be well. Eat in live in Harmony with ignorant man, and you will have troubles.

These troubles are good though - for they invariably guide you back to her.

“[B]severe[/B] vitamin D deficiency?”

Whos words were these? Yours or your doctors?

My diet, oh Dr. Scales could probably use some fine tuning to be certain! But here is a typical day for me:

Breakfast:
Coffee
glass of mega greens juice
Greek yogurt with granola
1/2 banana

Mid morning snack:
10 raw almonds
an orange or apple

Lunch:
2 slices whole grain bread
1/2 avocado
peppered tofurky
almond cheese
shredded carrots
diced jalepeno’s
a bit of leafy greens
a handful of red hot blues (I know, but I dearly love them!)

Snack:
piece of fruit
handful of homemade trail mix (dried bananas, cashews, cranberries, blueberries, macadamias, granola,dark chocolate)

Dinner:
Either a big dark leafy green salad with olives, shredded cheese, carrots, pumpkin seeds, cranberries in a light balsamic vinegar dressing, and a few croutons and tomatoes.
or
veggie burger, jasmine rice and a vegetable (Or something made of tofu)
or
beans and rice with homemade guacamole
or, and this is where I’m bad
a big bowl of cereal on nights when I teach as I get home late. But it’s always a healthy cereal, if that counts.

Other things I may eat or drink:
Usually several glasses of red wine a week
spinach on sandwich or in salad
hot cocoa during colder months
I also try to eat fish several times a week. Yeah, as my daughter (vegan) says, an almost vegetarian! A pescetarian!)
Fruit smoothies during warmer months made with organic lactose free milk
A spoonful or two of almond butter on pita or hummus and pita (whole grain)

I also take chia seed oil and vegetarian aquamarine calcium. BTW, my calcium levels were fine. I do think I need to add magnesium.

When I cook, I only use olive oil.

And there you have it!

[QUOTE=lotusgirl;52296]My diet, oh Dr. Scales could probably use some fine tuning to be certain! But here is a typical day for me:

Breakfast:
Coffee
[B]glass of mega greens juice[/B] (is this processed store bought stuff?)
Greek yogurt with granola
1/2 banana

Mid morning snack:
10 raw almonds
an orange or apple

Lunch:
2 slices whole grain bread
1/2 avocado
[B]peppered tofurky[/B] :frowning:
[B]Almond Cheese? [/B] WTF? WHY?
shredded carrots
diced jalepeno’s
a bit of leafy greens
a handful of red hot blues (I know, but I dearly love them!) [B]???[/B]

Snack:
piece of fruit
[B]handful of homemade trail mix (dried bananas, cashews, cranberries, blueberries, macadamias, granola,dark chocolate)[/B] [B]ACIDIC ASH RESIDUE[/B]

Dinner:
Either a big dark leafy green salad with olives, shredded cheese, carrots, pumpkin seeds, [B]cranberries[/B] (acidic Ash) in a light balsamic vinegar dressing, and a few croutons and tomatoes.
or
[B]veggie burger[/B], jasmine rice and a vegetable (Or something made of [B]tofu[/B])
or
[B]beans and rice[/B] with homemade guacamole [B](ACIDIC ASH)[/B]
or, and this is where I’m bad
a[B] big bowl of cereal[/B] on nights when I teach as I get home late. But it’s always a healthy cereal, if that counts. (it doesn’t count ACIDIC ASH)

Other things I may eat or drink:
Usually [B]several glasses of red wine[/B] a week (this would be okay if your diet didn’t tend towards Acid Ash Producing Foods upon Metabolism)
spinach on sandwich or in salad
[B]hot cocoa[/B] during colder months (ACIDIC ASH)
[B]I also try to eat fish several times a week. [/B] Yeah, as my daughter (vegan) says, an almost vegetarian! A pescetarian!) [B]( I would avoid “farmed Seafood” of any kind. It’s unnatural.)[/B]

Fruit smoothies during warmer months made with organic lactose free milk
A spoonful or two of almond butter on pita or hummus and pita (whole grain)

I also take chia seed oil and vegetarian aquamarine calcium. BTW, my calcium levels were fine. I do think I need to add magnesium.

When I cook, I only use olive oil. [B](Extra Virgin should not be used to cook with. If you use plain ol olive oil thats OK. Not great but ok . . . Extra Virgin turns inflammatory upon the application of heat (realitively speaking) [/B]

And there you have it![/QUOTE]

I hope you were smiling ( in a good way) when you wrote the Dr. Scales comment… because I certainly don’t spend my time writing things I feel will be helpful for people to be mean…

anyway…

UGH your a Vegetarian!

Edit I reread your post! YOUR A VEGAN!!! OMG!!!

Then I got to the part about seafood? UGH!!!
Thats part of your problem… THE SOY!!! SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!

I know this because I used to be a vegetarian and a Vegan.

[B]Are you as healthy as you would like to be?[/B]

[B]I suppose you didn’t read my post (written by Dr. Mercola / mercola.com) on soy? [/B]

You dont’ even eat EGGS? WTF? BBQ?

Quick and dirty?

[B]Replace the Soy with Egg. Always keep looking for the best source of eggs.

Reduce foods that produce acidic ash upon metabolism and increase foods that produce an alkaline ash upon metabolism. Give it a month. [/B]

Thanks Scales!

Yes, I was smiling when I called you Dr. Scales!

Is there a thread here in the forums or can you share a link about acid ash foods? So, basically I need more alkaline in my diet to balance.

I don’t like eggs. Can’t stand the look or the smell of eggs. If they are cooked in something, fine. But all by themselves, no way!

I do not buy farm raised fish. I do love fish and if it wasn’t for my love of fish, I would be a full vegetarian. My daughter is the vegan.

Yes, I do eat soy each day for lunch (my peppered tofurky) Will be hard for me to give this up I must tell you. It’s quite yummy. Guess I can try!

Almond cheese is made from almond milk and is vegan. They make a jalapeno jack that is spicy and good.

The mega greens I drink in the morning I get from the health food store. I’ll have to look.

I do use plain olive oil in cooking and extra virgin first cold press for everything else.

[I]Yes, I was smiling when I called you Dr. Scales!

Is there a thread here in the forums or can you share a link about acid ash foods? So, basically I need more alkaline in my diet to balance. [/I]

[B]The Research Keys are "p.h balanced diet’[/B]

[I]I don’t like eggs. Can’t stand the look or the smell of eggs. If they are cooked in something, fine. But all by themselves, no way![/I]

[B]An egg omlet with Cheese? Thats heavenly~ ! Try repalcing the soy patty in your sandwich with an egg patty. If you “CANT STANT IT ALONE”

Try differnt eggs. Ours have recently come from a friend who prides herself on ethics and organics. The Eggs are free range. The yolks are different than store bought. They are a more vivid and saturated shade of orange.

Eggs. They are a Perfect protein. All natural. Very clean. Good source of Essential Fatty acids. They simply destroy soy in all nutritional aspects.
Or organic chicken, or organic Beef. or Avacodo, or organic peanut butter or . . . so on.
Please research Soy. Theres a thread in this nutrition forum posted my me.
Plus your eating Processed soy in your spicy soy patty. [/B]

[I]I do not buy farm raised fish. I do love fish and if it wasn’t for my love of fish, I would be a full vegetarian. My daughter is the vegan.[/I]

[B]I have yet to see a fully vibrant and healthy vegan and vegetarian. The reason I believe is the reliance on SOY and the processing of soy to meet the protein requirements they think they should have. Funny that they substitute it for meat. Should tell you something about the way things naturally are…[/B]

[I]Yes, I do eat soy each day for lunch (my peppered tofurky) Will be hard for me to give this up I must tell you. It’s quite yummy. Guess I can try![/I]

[B]Research Soy. Then the decision, I feel will be easy…[/B]

[I]Almond cheese is made from almond milk and is vegan. They make a jalapeno jack that is spicy and good.[/I]

[B]Processed. Am I right? [/B]

[I]The mega greens I drink in the morning I get from the health food store. I’ll have to look.[/I]

[B]Processed? Am I right? Maybe Costly too? How about a piece of organic lettuce + a half a stalk of celery (organic. Celery is on the dirty dozen) + half cup of NON CONCENTRATED OJ + a squirt of NONCONENTRATED Lemon Juice?

Put all that in a little cup. Whirl it up with a hand mixer.

Its Alive. And vibrant. And fresh… compare that to the processed boxed "mega green’ which is dead and dead with a dab of this and a dollap of that and smeared with some marketing buzzwords…

With fresh you get the Phytonutrients and other goodies that you don’t get with ‘sawdust in a box.’

The Key concepts I’m trying to get across here are:

Fresh.

Natural.

not dead and processed. It’s like throwing your money in the wind. If your going to do that just give it to me. Or rather spend it on natural, fresh, organic foods. . .

[/B]

[I]I do use plain olive oil in cooking and extra virgin first cold press for everything else.[/I]

[B]Are you exclusive Olive oil or do you try other things like Ghee and Coconut oil and so on?
[/B]

[B]Follow nature eat her food. YOU WILL NOT ERR.[/B]

Thanks again. I’ll have to do some research and refine my eating habits.

BTW, I’ve been a vegetarian (really pescetarian) for several years and think I look pretty healthy and don’t look my age which is almost 53. Most of the vegans/vegetarians I know look quite healthy.

You are truly a man on a mission Scales. Thanks!

Well share what changes if any you decide.

Are you taking the infernal “vitamin D” supplements?
:-x

Im taking prescription vitamin D which is D2. I’m just now doing some research on pros and cons of soy. I’ll let you know what I find and we’ll compare.

I agree with Scales on this one. Most soy is GMO soy,90%+ and the Monsanto corporation (aka Monsatan) has a patent on GMO soy. The fine makers of aspartame, bovine growth hormone, agent orange, DDT, and many frankenfoods & herbicides. They are in bed with our congress thanks to their ex ceo Rumsfield, and lobby to push their population reducing products on our public. GMO soy fed hamsters were found on their third generation to be sterile in recent study. They are banned in the EU and have recently been pushed through the beautiful country of India.
A good natural D3 supplement would be best, but D is fat soluble so be careful if taking everyday. I personally think that getting the right amount D in your diet primarily depends on your genetics and skin color. If you are white with european genetics you don’t need as much sun as a darker person whose genetics were developed along the equator who would require more sun. Thats why the darker population has a problem with skin cancer in this country…because they’re not getting enough sunlight as their genetics demand. Just my opinion, not a fact.
Listen to your body and decide if your getting sufficient sunlight. Your prescription D2 is probably petroleum based, acidic forming, and possibly effecting your D spectrum obsorbtion. I’m no doctor, just my 2 cents.
Good luck and enjoy your sunlight.

lotusgirl - are you going to post your research results on soy here? I’m careful not to eat GMO soy, but did stock up on tofu bricks when they were on sale a few weeks ago. Next week (starting this coming Friday) is spring break, and I’ll help with research if you’d like.

The initial plan when I stopped eating meat was to eat enough eggs, milk, quinoa and nutritional yeast, but then I got B12 deficient (self-diagnosed, but very evident when I started taking a supplement) so I decided to try to eat a brick of tofu per week.

Thanks everyone for the info.

AthMJ,

I am still researching. (hosted a big party yesterday and had little time for anything else)
I did find a wonderful site: http://www.scribd.com/doc/2345138/Greenpeace-shoppers-guide-to-GMOFree-Food Nice to say after looking through the lists, I think everything I eat is on the good list. (no gmo) I shop at Whole foods and their 365 brand has no GMO. So I’m happy for that! If you’d like to also do some research and post, by all means do so! 2 minds are better than one! So far what I’ve found is not very positive for soy, but there are those out there who feel Soy (not GMO) has gotten a bad rap. I know the truth falls somewhere in between. So yes, help me out here!

I’ll devote some time mid week to doing some more research. Now off to eat my tofurky sandwich! LOL

I think nothing beats the sunshine for vitamin D formation.

This is common knowledge though.

@Oak333,

Yes, it is common knowledge, however this is only true during the mid spring to mid fall season for most. The suns rays are not strong enough during the colder months. We also need to NOT wear sunscreen all the time. And also when we shower, we wash away the oils on the skin that are needed to assimilate D. Daily showering, sunscreen and limited foods that are rich in D3 are the reasons for the alarming #'s who are deficient in D3. As stated in my original post, I am out in the sun all the time without sunscreen and I was still deficient, albeit the test was done in December which is winter here.

[QUOTE=lotusgirl;52758]@Oak333,

Yes, it is common knowledge, however this is only true during the mid spring to mid fall season for most. The suns rays are not strong enough during the colder months. We also need to NOT wear sunscreen all the time. And also when we shower, we wash away the oils on the skin that are needed to assimilate D. Daily showering, sunscreen and limited foods that are rich in D3 are the reasons for the alarming #'s who are deficient in D3. As stated in my original post, I am out in the sun all the time without sunscreen and I was still deficient, albeit the test was done in December which is winter here.[/QUOTE]

You are right, and I am impressed by the depth of your knowledge in this field.

My simple point: you MUST go to the sun. I live in Canada, not exactly reputed for a warm climate. Medical doctors PRESCRIBE Canadians to go to the sun one or two times a year.

This actually a very nice prescription. Eg over Christams 2010 I was in Aruba.
Beautiful island on the Caribbean. Beautiful sun, over 30 degrees centigrades
or 86 degrees Fahrenheit, beautifu sun, beautiful beach and great food and drinks-all inclusive.

After one week there-or in anothe warm country-you replenish your reserves of vitamin D. Plus that you have lots of fun.

[QUOTE=lotusgirl;52758]@Oak333,

Yes, it is common knowledge, however this is only true during the mid spring to mid fall season for most. The suns rays are not strong enough during the colder months. We also need to NOT wear sunscreen all the time. And also when we shower, we wash away the oils on the skin that are needed to assimilate D. Daily showering, sunscreen and limited foods that are rich in D3 are the reasons for the alarming #'s who are deficient in D3. As stated in my original post, I am out in the sun all the time without sunscreen and I was still deficient, albeit the test was done in December which is winter here.[/QUOTE]

I barely touch the water when I’m in the shower. The funky bunch gets the wash cloth and I’m out zippity do dah - less than five minutes - if that. Sometimes a little more, usually less.

I don’t do sunscreen either.

In my window, during the winter - I get the sun when I can see him. When He shines on me its just fine. Sunny days though are not ‘the normal’ round these parts.

If I feel I’m not getting enough sun for many days or weeks I heat up the house to 80 degrees :cool: and within an hour or so I’m ready to walk outside with just a pair of shorts on, and the cold won’t bother me for about 10 minutes.

As a vegan (with over 25 percent raw recipes), I take a vegan Vitamin D2 supplement about 2 or 3 days a week (I also take a Vitamin B12 a few times a week).
It was nice reading your info on Vitamin D, thanks, Gil.

@Gilyoga,

Unfortunately heat won’t give you Vitamin D. It might make you feel better, but not raise your D level. During winter, the sun will not give you Vitamin D. Generally, it is from November to February. UVB rays are not strong enough. And Scales, the UVB rays will not travel through glass, so sitting by a window won’t do any good. Sorry!

And you may want to do research on D2. It is quite tricky being a Vegan. My daughter is also Vegan. D3 is what you want, but D3 is what you get from sunlight or in supplemental form it is usually animal based, which Vegan’s cannot have. D2 which is used to fortify milk, cereals, etc, is not bioavailable.

Bottom line, D2 (Ergocalciferol) is synthetic and is not absorbed well. When you are deficient in D, the parathyroid is overactive which alters calcium metabolism. D2 supplements will not lower the parathyroid hormone back to normal. D3 (Cholecalciferol) will. There are few options for Vegetarian and Vegans. Because D3 is animal based in supplement form, it is not an option. Too few raw foods will give you the D3 you need. Spinach binds calcium, so it does little good. Kale however, is absorbed and has some D3. D2 will raise your levels if you are deficient, but in the long run it will not. If you are deficient and take D2, levels will rise, but parathyroid will still be overactive as D2 will not lower it.

As I’ve said, I purchased a HappyLight by Verilux. Light therapy has been shown effective in the treatment of D deficiency. It is close enough to natural sunlight that it allows your body to produce D. So far from my research, this seems to be the best course of action.