Truth about Vitamin D

Thanks TeeA! I’ll check out the links.

Well, I tried to but it says the link is invalid. I’ll google it.

[QUOTE=lotusgirl;53556]If my level did not come to within normal range, I would have been sent to an endocrinologist for further testing, with inability to metabolize fats being the possible diagnosis. But seeing that my level is normal, albeit low normal, my liver must be able to metabolize fats.

Curious is that my calcium level was good. All I know is over 50% of Americans are deficient in D. Because of pollution and sunscreen usage, we are not absorbing D.

We shall see in the coming months and in particular the late fall winter if my level remains normal. I see the doctor again in 4 months. I will be getting a bone density scan next month which will be telling.

Thanks CityMonk for your suggestions and input![/QUOTE]

It is good that your are in the range. Who knows maybe this is your range for this vitamin? I hope that your next test will be normal!:slight_smile:

Here is the site that I found the above link on.
http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind

This one was very informative

Since I started this thread, I wanted to give you all an update. Had my D level checked and it went from 30 to 53! So currently I am right in the middle of where I should be which is between 30 and 80. When I took Vitamin D2 (prescription) it went up 14 points over a span of 3 months, compared to going up 23 points with over the counter D3. I think I made a good call switching to D3.

I will be curious to see my levels during the winter months when the sun no longer gives you the D you need. But I do have the Happy light which will give me some. For now I’m just happy my level is normal! :smiley:

Hope someone can give me a good advice with regards on my dad. Since we’ve been talking about Vitamin D. My dad was diagnosed by a Vitamin D deficiency a few days ago. I would like to know, how much of vitamin D is required for one’s body daily? My uncle has a MX Vitamin D that contains 1000 IUs of vitamin D3 cholecalciferol. Is this okay for those people like my dad who had Vitamin D deficiency?? Answers will be appreciated and noted :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear about your Dad! Good that his deficiency was caught and is being addressed.

What did his Doctor recommend? In my first post, I went into detail about this. Give it a read and see if it helps address your questions. I’ve also included a link below that gives a lot of good info. TeeA also provided a good link.http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/how-to-get-your-vitamin-d/vitamin-d-supplementation/

Vitamin D 3 is what you want. Not D2. D2 is usually the prescription form and what they use to fortify foods like milk. But, like everything medical, you will read pros and cons. Your dad and his doctor need discuss this. Most will agree that D3 is more appropriate.

There is much controversy about toxicity levels, although recommended daily D amounts have steadily increased over the years. Some recommend as much as 2,000 IU’s per day as a supplement for an average adult.

I hope this has been helpful to you. If not, let me know and I’ll do my best to either address or point you in the right direction.

This is a very interesting topic to me. I have Hashimoto’s disease, a condition in which my own body attacks my thyroid. Part of my treatment is a daily dose of 50,000 IUs of Vitamin D3. My doctor, Dr. Joseph Pendergast in Palo Alto is actually on the Vitamin D council and at the forefront of some pretty interesting research on the implications of vitamin D deficiency and how much we as humans really need. My personal experience with this treatment has been wonderful. I can’t remember the last time I was sick, my skin, eyes and hair are better (not perfect but better) and my weight has stabilized.

I eat mostly vegetarian but no special diet.

Hope that helps. Holler if you need more information. I cannot share links yet in these forums but happy to help.

[QUOTE=MultitaskingMama;65196]This is a very interesting topic to me. I have Hashimoto’s disease, a condition in which my own body attacks my thyroid. Part of my treatment is a daily dose of 50,000 IUs of Vitamin D3. /QUOTE]

It is really difficult to understand RDA (recommended dose allowance) for vitamin, which can be a mixture of D2 and D3 or separate.

What I mean by that is that sun exposure produces 10,000 IU / minute,
depending on the sun intensity (UV index), geography and the human being involved.

I remember years ago RDA was 1,000 IU, not it seems to be 2,000 IU and so on-from the pills. Totally minuscule when compared to sun exposure.

Your own experience shows that a human being can take much more than that.

@MultitaskingMama,
Glad you are doing well now! Hope you continue to show improvement.

@Oak333,
Can you site references to the 10,000 I.U.'s per minute? In all the research I’ve done I’ve not seen that. Curious.

As with anything medical, there is conflicting info out there. Most research I’ve come across states you get approximately 4-5 thousand I.U.'s of D in about 30 minutes. This of course depends on exposure, time of day and your skin type. One thing to keep in mind though is that UVB rays can only produce Vitamin D and this is only during the 10:00 a.m. 0 2:00 p.m. window of time. And your body does not store D. Summer exposure will only remain for about 1-2 weeks. (again, there is conflicting info out there) Suffice to say, whatever we get in the summer, quickly fades. This is why supplementation of D3 is so important. Another thing that prohibits absorption of D is when we are outside and do get exposure, we come in and right away shower. We need to wait at least 1 hour after sun exposure in the summer to shower. The oils on/in our skin is what helps our body assimilate the D.

I think they are just beginning to understand the benefits of D. With the increase in melanoma and everyone under the sun (pardon the pun) saying to wear sunscreen, they are beginning to realize our daily “natural” intake of this vitamin (which is not really a vitamin, but a pro-hormone) is no where near what we need. Again, the only way is to supplement. And remember you want D3, not D2.

[QUOTE=AthMJ;52688]lotusgirl - are you going to post your research results on soy here? I’m careful not to eat GMO soy, but did stock up on tofu bricks when they were on sale a few weeks ago. Next week (starting this coming Friday) is spring break, and I’ll help with research if you’d like.

The initial plan when I stopped eating meat was to eat enough eggs, milk, quinoa and nutritional yeast, but then I got B12 deficient (self-diagnosed, but very evident when I started taking a supplement) so I decided to try to eat a brick of tofu per week.[/QUOTE]

why not eat lentils? theyhave vitamin b dont know which now but you can easily check that. and 24% prot. also chickpeas are good in india they roast it 20.5 proteins. and fills stomach quite good just chew and take some water and you feel full quick

the best source of Vitamin D is sunshine!.. doctors live in a world of names, definitions, and descriptions… they are only focused on the form… yoga is about 99% focus on the formless and 1% focus on the form… give or take… :wink:

your mentality about food, about others opinions, and about every form is the GREATEST INFLUENCE on the outcome… if you trust your doctor and take what he says to be true then you are may be in bondage… just remember that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE… the more you can sit in the fire of the unknown the more accelerated will be your spiritual and physical evolution… all matter is made of energy and all energy flows from consciousness… as you think so it becomes, as you imagine it so it appears… all sickness is born of unconsciousness… the simplest solution is consciousness… and the best solution… all forms arise from formless… you alone are the truth… you are the final interpreter… some people take their doctor’s diagnosis as the gospel truth… some don’t even go to doctors and think 99.9% of them are serial killers prescribing death by pills… Don’t get too wrapped up in the forms… focus on the formless… your illness is blockages of energy born of unconsciousness… focus on the epicenter of where the sensations manifest in your body… love and focus there and watch your “problems” disappear… consciousness is always the solution… love and blessings to you friend! I believe in you! ~*~ :slight_smile: You know what to do! You know who to be! Remember? :wink: