Truth about yoga (a article for discussion)

Amir

No doubt, the practices behind Yoga are universal and can be found in many cultures around the world. I get more into this in my posting “thoughts on meditation.”

The word ‘Yoga’ on the other hand was only used in the Hindu cannon of Sanskrit literature until recently. The means of combining asana, pranayama, mudra, dhyana and dharana is unique to Hindu literature (until recently).

But that does not mean that other cultures did not share a lot of similarities. It is almost the same ideas using different languages.

The Kabbalist uses light and ‘chakra’ like visualizations in a similar way.
The Kahuna of Hawaii use similar breathing exercises (as do the Taoists)
The Ancient Egyptians used ‘mudra’ like hand gestures in seated and standing positions that can be considered 'asanas.'
No doubt ‘dharana’ techniques are used in most mystic schools from Sufi to Magi to Druids. Most often as patterns similar to ‘yantras’ and holy words, letters and symbols (mantras, etc.)

Even though they are all similar, I would not use these Sanskrit terms for them because they are different routes to climb the same tree, and I want to respect the cultures they come from.

The Yogic terms you are using are from Hindu sources. You can do the same practice with no terms, or chose any other cultural term, and you will reach the same. The truth is universal.

But ‘Yoga’ is Hindu.

[QUOTE=AmirMourad;64386]But for one who has come to know oneself, through and through, it is simply a scientific fact.[/QUOTE]

I take it you must know yourself. Thinking this is the first step to not knowing ones self.

Having studied Yoga for decades, and having meditated every morning for 30+ years (and sometimes full days and nights or more when the chance was there), I have experienced many amazing things.

But I am much more rigorous on what I would consider ‘scientific fact.’ A personal experience is not a scientific fact, though I do think there are aspects of reality that science in it’s present state can not reach.

We interpret our experiences to what we know. Carl Sagan has shown how an experience that a previous culture would have attributed to daemons in our modern culture is attributed to space aliens.

I think ‘reincarnation’ is one of those kinds of experiences. I’ve experienced oneness with everything, had the feeling of a millions years in the past and in the future and watching it all from above, but from the present knowledge of ‘scientific fact’ my interpretation fits well with what we know about DNA and our genes - our real self as known at this point in ‘scientific fact.’

I am not saying that is it for sure, but I still try to match my observations with the observations around me. Have you heard of the blind men and the elephant?

Also, reincarnation is a late development in Hindu literature. Yet, the idea that we are made of the same star ‘stuff’ that reshapes itself from old life to new is acknowledged as far back as the Vedas. It still does not make it true. I just think it is an interesting coincidence. I am willing to go with this for now at least.

By the way, if yoga and meditation are all that great, than why are there so much greatness in the world done by people who don’t do yoga or meditate and so many wacked out yogis and meditation experts?

I think there are way to many delusional people, and the practice in it’s present form is not helping.

Time to get back to the source!

The skillful methods and techniques of the yogic sciences help prepare one to experience with pure consciousness, void of illusions, else one may simply catch a warped glimpse of what they want to experience. No doubt there have been those who have accidently stumbled blindly beyond the three consciousnesses into absolute reality but the encounter tainted with hard wired delusions.

May ‘your’ God got with you
Namaste

Kasi,

A personal experience is not a scientific fact, though I do think there are aspects of reality that science in it's present state can not reach.

There is a difference between a personal experience and a scientific process. The spiritual sciences involve the subjective, but that doesn`t mean it is not a scientific process. There is a certain science behind how the mechanism of the mind and body are functioning, as well as a science as to how to explore every dimension of what a human being is. When we say a science, we are talking about a methodology for exploration. Yoga is a science in that, through certain experiments, you can explore the deepest dimensions of existence within your own being.

[QUOTE=Kasi;64394]I take it you must know yourself. Thinking this is the first step to not knowing ones self.

Also, reincarnation is a late development in Hindu literature. Yet, the idea that we are made of the same star 'stuff' that reshapes itself from old life to new is acknowledged as far back as the Vedas. It still does not make it true. I just think it is an interesting coincidence. I am willing to go with this for now at least.

The idea of reincarnation is not something which is just limited to what the Hindus, Buddhists, Jains, and Sikhs have been talking about. In Chinese alchemy, they have always been talking about it. In Taoism, they have always known of it. The ancient Egyptians, who were adept in their own ways in the spiritual sciences, were familiar with it. It is something which has been known for ages, though the fact that many different cultures and spiritual traditions have been talking about it means nothing by itself. The reason why reincarnation is considered something scientific for those who have experienced it is simply because, if you access certain depths of the unconscious, one will find not just memories which have been gathered in this life, but memories which have been recorded which extend beyond this life which are impersonal. There are many methods in yoga to be able to discriminate between whether these memories are just your imagination, or whether they are actualities. In either case, whether there is such a thing as reincarnation or not is totally irrelevant. What is relevant is to come to know oneself right now. Whether or not there are past lives, it comes to the same - what you are right now as a personality is a result of so many memories which have been gathered in the unconscious, which are influencing the present in so many different ways.

By the way, if yoga and meditation are all that great, than why are there so much greatness in the world done by people who don't do yoga or meditate and so many wacked out yogis and meditation experts?

I do not know what you mean by greatness. Definitely man has achieved much without the spiritual sciences. But if we are to truly enjoy any of these achievements, man must be free of suffering. And, most of the problems of humanity are entirely creations of the mind. Unless we deal with the mind directly, we will be trying to solve all of the symptoms of a problem rather than striking to the root causes. At the end of the day, all of our efforts are just for one thing - whether we know it or not, happiness. Even the person who wants to enter into heaven with God, is only believing in such an idea because he thinks God is going to be the source of his happiness.

I think there are way to many delusional people, and the practice in it's present form is not helping.

Time to get back to the source!``

That is true. What is being offered today in the Western marketplace as yoga has not really helped people. In many cases it has only helped to magnify one`s delusions. A tool is just a tool. You can create medicine out of it and you can also create poison out of it. It all depends on the quality of the mind which is using any method.

Jesus taught the path of love - the purest form of Bhakti. Few really understand his message of tolerance and universal brotherhood. Real Christians commune with Jesus in the same way yogis worship their gurus. All is One, why see differences?

Do some research on christian mystics and saints. People like saint Theresa of Avila and others took Christianity to a mystic level that approached eastern philosophies in character and content. You may be surprised. Human “Spirituality” is the well spring of all religions.

I’m on the other side of the equation: I’m an agnostic with a deep distrust of all religions. I had a problem initially with chanting, yet a few stuck with me. I do the Anusara invocation to myself before class because it is no longer chanted out loud. I know it is to Shiva, but it feels like a Gregorian chant. I also chant the “lokah samasta sukhino bhavantu” chant, finding the “melody” contour pleasing.

Ed S.

Yoga is the reunion of body with soul. Once practised it definitely helps mind and body to relax.

Whatever religion we belong yoga causes improved health benefits due to more supply of oxygen in the body cells.

So do yoga…pranayama and meditation.

Read the article from the source,
they seem to be implying that yoga
is some New Age religion-which bothers me
a lot.

I can’t even consider yoga become a religion
on its own. The comments on the blog posts
are pretty disturbing as well.
Whatever floats their boat I guess.

XOXO,
Sexy Yogi

It looks like both religion and yoga are fighting the same enemy, which is our mind, the weapons are different though, the result (one pointed attention and focus on one thought) should be the same. After that it looks like it is no longer in the domain of our will power.

Who cares what silly people say. Do your yoga and enjoy it!

if you ( Surya deva ) can , and I am sure you can, it is a question of if you Will, if you can interpret this from Hindu scripture symbolically in the spirit of ahimsa and love then why can’t you do the same for the Christian scripture, eg. no one gets to the Father except by me. Christ does not exclude other cosmic men from being in the same place he is - he is simply there at the spiritual point before the universal ground of being. Here is the hindu scripture : The Lord said: “I am mighty, world-destroying Time, now engaged here in slaying these men. Even without you, all these warriors standing arrayed in the opposing armies shall not live. Therefore stand up and win glory; conquer your enemies and enjoy an opulent kingdom. By Me and none other have they already been slain; be an instrument only, O Arjuna. Kill Drona and Bhishma and Jayadratha and Karna, and the other great warriors as well, who have already been killed by Me. Be not distressed by fear. Fight, and you shall conquer your foes in the battle.” - I agree with yogandy- it is silly to argue- open your mind to interpretations not simple transliteration-Christianity can be simply love and that is inclusive of all

we have divided everything (country, casts, race, color etc) in the world, so keep at least yoga away from any division. It is universal, practice it and enjoy it benefit…that is it. It is like electricity, use it to glow bulb without any background theory.

‘happy yoga’ great book!

Yoga means harmony with body, mind and soul. Enjoy your journey, open your chakras and don't bother with stuff like religion and politics.

Hey everyone, here is a few products I got that helped me with my yoga:
https://bit.ly/3s3Y2AG

True also try this https://youtu.be/5PVXsUU7K_4 to to know the power of yoga

I have started yoga for a month through this book and I feel very balanced.
As you know, I was overwhelmed during the pandemic process we have been going through for a year, I was depressed because I could not find a job and my self-confidence was low. A friend of mine advised me to buy this book and I started implementing it. I was renewed by being able to feel self-confidence again. I wanted to share with you this kindness that my friend has done for me, and you will benefit. You can browse the book from the link below.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.