Udiyana Bandha vs Nauli?

Few days got in the dispute with respected 1000 hr ryt certified registered yoga teacher.

She convinced me that udiyana bandha is gentle contraction of the abdominal muscles.

All my life I was practicing certain that sucking the abdomen in (like in nauli) is udiyana.:confused:

Anyone here can comment on that? Not a big deal,but want to make sure that I’m using correct terminology

I am not sure…I think that Udiyana bandha is a gentle contraction/uplift that is done throughout Ashtanga ,power or vinyasa type yoga asana.

And Udiyana practice is the STRONG contraction/uplift…where the belly become hollow and is the beginnings of Nauli.

Different schools of yoga use different terms/names.

(Half Moon or Ardha Chandrasana is a totally different posture in different schools of yoga…this goes for many asanas/practices/mudras…very confusing)

It might depend on the lineage, master or system in which it is taught. The technique itself has to be considered in relation to others, as an overall effect is sought.

That kind of confusion is not rare, the same happens with ashwini mudra vs. mula bandha.

I have always seen udiyana bandha as drawing the upper abdomen inwards.

I was taught to refrain from using the word bandha or teaching bandhas in class. I think its because of it's coorelation with holding the breath, and we want students to breathe... If you have ever taught new students, you know how often one can observe them holding the breath...

I Was taught to use the word loops for describing the engagement of muscle energy.

[QUOTE=yogacambodia;65818]I am not sure…I think that Udiyana bandha is a gentle contraction/uplift that is done throughout Ashtanga ,power or vinyasa type yoga asana.

And Udiyana practice is the STRONG contraction/uplift…where the belly become hollow and is the beginnings of Nauli.

Different schools of yoga use different terms/names.

(Half Moon or Ardha Chandrasana is a totally different posture in different schools of yoga…this goes for many asanas/practices/mudras…very confusing)[/QUOTE]

this is how I learned it was well. And primarily as the lower abdomen.

although I don’t practice Ashtanga here is Kino MacGregor talking about using the Udiyana bandha and pelvic floor as a steering wheel

I post Kino b/c I thinks she’s a great teacher irregardless of your style.

and here’s a great 17min. video of Kino talking about Udiyana bandha, how to find your pelvic floor and why you should always have your lower abdomen tucked in a little during your whole asana routine. Well worth the viewing.

[QUOTE=Chitta Control;66046]

and here’s a great 17min. video of Kino talking about Udiyana bandha, how to find your pelvic floor and why you should always have your lower abdomen tucked in a little during your whole asana routine. Well worth the viewing.

yes, she says the same…udiana bandha is a gentle exhale with contraction of abdomen and udiana criya(nauli) pulling the belly in with vacuum created on the khumbaka…

Hi everybody :slight_smile:

i would like to give my contribution to this topic:

to dispell cofusion i make a distinction between:

Uddiyana bandha: sealing the lower abdomen
Uddiyana Mudra: sucking the adomen in
Nauli Kriya: moving the bowels after uddayana mudra is applied

each of this techniques has a different role in the yoga practice

:wink:

I was taught that to hold one’s uddiyana bandha is to engage the abdominal muscle, particularly about 3 inches below the belly button.

When I do nauli, I suck in a larger area of abdominal muscle.

In the Ashtanga practice there seems to be some misinformation regarding the lift in the bottom of the belly (an action that is not only safe but required to stabilize the sacroiliac joint and lumbar spine) and the kriya (or action) of Uddiyana Bandha. The latter is the drawing in of the abdominal contents on the exhalation (rechaka) from the xiphoid process to the pubis. The former is not :slight_smile:

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.