Vairagya

Hi!

A few comments and questions from your teacher training in April in NYC:

It was so powerful when you led us through the JFS and asanas, referring to muscles that were working vs. stretching. I hold a lot of unnecessary tension as I go about my daily activities. This exercise you led helped me realize how much the prana is being blocked by this tension and how I can strive to have a steadier and more open inner awareness by working more in some muscles and less in others. Before, it seemed like that kind of openness would only be possible in savasana, but I will eventually be able to take that power of awareness into my interactions with the world!
Thanks!

I was also so struck and impressed with what I perceied as vairagya in your work with us. This attitude is so powerful and sends the message that we have within us the power to heal or the choice to grasp a concept or not. I am a pretty enthusiastic person and when something grabs me, I have the tendency to try to shove it down people’s throats when given the opportunity. You have been a great example of how effective it is to present things in a non attached way.

Question: Do you have any suggestions on how to cultivate a more non-attached, patient attitude?

(I woke up this morning and noticed my mind churning about all the stuff I need to improve about myself. I then considered approaching my sadhana with vairagya. Perhaps having this attitude is as important as the practices themselves…)

Question 2: Do you have any suggestions on maintaining appropriate boundaries in teaching yoga and in life?

Thanks again for the powerful teachings, beautifully presented!
:slight_smile:

A good topic for discussion. Detachment is natural when you are being true to your self, following your heart, and listening to your inner teacher. However this takes practice and persistence over a long period of time. This is the essence of Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras on success as described in I, 12. Both together can help you are sustaining your wonderful enthusiasm yet being free of making others buy what you believe you possess. MOre is posted on this topic from those who are on my personal email Q & A list.

Boundaries are naturally arising in an appropriate manner from the previous practice of detachment.  Also read and reflect on the yamas especially purity see Yoga Sutras II, 40 and 41.  From the efforts applied to purify yourself mentall and emotionally will arise a natural desire to protect your attainment of an increased level of prana and a higher level of consciousness.  Protecting what is gained will naturally lead to having appropriate boundaries.  Give what is yours to give and receive only what is freely offered to you without asking.  This is a wonderful teaching of Yoga.  we are blessed in having such a rich heritage to help us lead more fulfilling lives.  thank you for your wonderful questions.  

namaste mukunda