Vata with a Kapha body?

I ‘test out’ as a definite vata dosha—when I was young, I was very thin, anxious, exciteable, you get the picture. I have all the vata characteristics except weight–anymore.

As I’ve gotten older (late 40’s) and had many stressful events in life that I believe contributed to vata imbalance, rather than lose weight like a vata, I seem to have taken on some Kapha tendencies, and gradually gained weight. There are no physical abnormalities such as hypothyroid or anything–I am in generally good health as far as western-medical doctors are concerned.
Trying to make some healthy cahnges in my diet only seems to throw me into what seems to me to be my vata flaring up. If I overexercise, and eat too many bitter/ astringents/ pungents in what would be a weight loss attempt, I really feel it despite all other attempts to pacify vata (abhyanga, warmth, etc).
I am at a loss to lose 60 extra pounds that have creeped on in the past few years. Is this a Kapha imbalance in a vata person? Is that possible? I am not able to see an Ayurvedic physician for evaluation. There are none in my area. I am going by books and online info about it and what I learn from my yoga teacher—although I sense she just sees me as a lazy, unmotivated Kapha-type (not that all are!) who doesn’t have any self-discipline. Nothing could be further from the truth!! Frustrating. :x

Dear Chervata,

I will contact Mukunda and let him know you are waiting for a response. Sorry for the delay!

Chandra

chervata,

You may be predominantyly vata, however no on e has a single dosha constitiution, we are all dual in nature. Hence you could be vata/pitta or vata/kapha. The increase in kapha is natural as we age and get settled into routines and family life. The best is doing Surya Namaskar (regularly until you can build up your stamina to 15-20 minutes of continuous motions). Doing this regularly for 6 weeks normalizes weight and should restore you to proper balance. If lack of motivation is not the problem then i would suggest this to increase pitta which will diminish kapha.

blessings,
mukunda

Thank you so much for your kind reply! I do surya namaskar, but not regularly, and I am sure it’s not for 20 minutes. I will let you know in a few months how this has helped, as I’m sure it will. I have never found a yogic/ayurvedic advice that didn’t ring true. :smiley:

Thanks again.

Best Wishes on success. Regularity and increasing time should make a significant difference. blessings. mukunda