Was it the wrong book?

There have been around 11 posts regarding The Heart of Yoga. I think I made 4 of them. Why so few? Was it the wrong choice? Should we start again with a different book? Would it be better to share a book with more philosophy, and less instruction of poses?

I stopped taking part because I was in the middle of a move and things got a little crazy. I think the main issue is not many people are taking part in the book club right now. These things take time to build I’m afraid. Maybe I’ll send out an email announcement letting old members of the forum know there’s now a book club.

I didn’t get that much involved because I work full time, am doing a part time yoga teacher training course and have just started teaching. :slight_smile:

But if picked a book, in the manor you say, and maybe focus on a chapter for a month, and then move on another month to another chapter. I expect I would definantly make time. I think the first book had alot of good stuff in it.

Maybe we are just getting used to doing the club. :slight_smile:

Oh, and another reason is that I haven’t been able to get email alerts working, ever on this site. I haven’t had time to investigate too deep into why, and I know there was a problem with this, which is fixed, but I still don’t seem to get notifications. Maybe I will take another look now :slight_smile:

My settings were definantly set to receive email notifications. I swapped it from instant to daily, maybe that will work :slight_smile:

There is a book by Donna Fahri - Teaching Yoga, there are some bits in there I would like to discuss. Not sure if it’s a book with too narrow a readership.

Im getting the replies now :slight_smile:

It’ll take a while to get going. I’m still reading it and it is illuminating so far. I stopped posting as I was racing through it a bit and didn’t want to stop and talk…

Im having to re-adjust to teaching and the time it takes out of my week. Planning and teaching etc. Im happy to continue to discuss. Especially if page numbers and paragraph numbers are used. :slight_smile:

Just got busy in life and reading a novel in between. I am on chapter 5 and I do relate to my class alot better now.

I read the book (large easy to read book) years ago and loved it. So I’ve followed this thread even though I haven’t been adding to it.

The book had a general theme and a few beliefs that kept appearing so I didn’t connect with the parts that pertain to many of you. I’m not a teacher and don’t attend classes so what I wanted from the book was much different from what is being reviewed. It has been interesting for me to follow this thread, none-the-less.

I also appreciated that the book had ‘yoga sutras’ at the end so I could get his view and translation of them.

Best wishes, Gil

It seemed a bit like an instruction manual at first. I love the photos of the poses. THEN I got to chapter 8. I may even read it again, I enjoyed it so much. So much to incorporate into your everyday life. I think this will help me in my search of what I want to get out of Yoga.

[QUOTE=gilyoga;29621]I read the book (large easy to read book) years ago and loved it. So I’ve followed this thread even though I haven’t been adding to it.

The book had a general theme and a few beliefs that kept appearing so I didn’t connect with the parts that pertain to many of you. I’m not a teacher and don’t attend classes so what I wanted from the book was much different from what is being reviewed. It has been interesting for me to follow this thread, none-the-less.

I also appreciated that the book had ‘yoga sutras’ at the end so I could get his view and translation of them.

Best wishes, Gil[/QUOTE]

I’m not a teacher either, and am lucky if I can make one class a week. I would be interested to hear what you did want from the book, and if you got it, but, of course, only if you are interested in sharing.

Namaste

I had heard that the book helped develop a practice for oneself, as opposed to teaching a particular style that should be followed by everyone. And thats what I liked and got out of the book.

I personally didn’t what to follow a particular style, for example ashtanga, I wanted to develop a style for myself, a style that fit myself, one that allowed me to get more than just the physical aspect of Yoga, and one that I could change as I age, etc. And this book seemed to do that.

The book often suggested focusing on the breath to judge if the asana was stressed or comfortable. That helped me realize and think about how a pose may be good or bad for me, instead of just concentrating on posture. And later in the book the same idea of focusing on breath seemed to lead to the union of two things by focusing on something. This seems like a natural progression in Yoga.

The book also gave reasons for putting asanas in a particular sequence and that helps as I age and want to shorten a practice and when I choose to add or remove any poses from my practice.

A recurring theme of focusing the attention on something for the sake of a union and understanding seemed to develop thru the book including the author’s interpretation of the Yoga Sutras.

Reading the book was also nice because of all the photo’s and info of the author’s father Krishnamacharya.

It’s interesting to read what others get from the book. It brings understanding from different viewpoints.

Thanks! I was looking for something similar from this book. I have found that by focusing on the breath - that is, [I]remembering[/I] to focus on the breath - can often help a pose that is very uncomfortable for me gradually become less stressful, and even, if not pleasurable, bring a feeling of peace and satisfaction. I’m not saying focused breathing is a magic pill, but it is definitely a very useful tool in yoga - and in life.

Namaste

When I used to practice ashtanga yoga (not the Yoga Sutra one, although I did/do that too) the breath was always a key indicator, and specifically used in a certain way. So even now, I make sure I pay attention to the breath both as an indicator and as part of the practice, it just adds so much :slight_smile: