Weird sensation in perineal area when in corpse pose

Hello everyone,

I’ve asked many people, doctors physiotherapists, naturaopaths, massage therapists, chiropractors and never got a satisfactory answer.

I thought that the yoga community might be able to provide some insight.

[I]Basically, the weird thing that has been happening to me over the last few years, is that when I lay flat on my back in corpse pose I get a pain in my perineal area.[/I]

It’s not an unpleasant sensation, more like a kind of pleasant pain.

Also, sometimes after I leave the pose I can continue to feel a kind of ‘flow’ down there. The ‘flow’ doesn’t pulsate with my heartbeat, it’s more of like a continuous ‘swishing.’ (Impossible to describe, sorry.).

I can also accentuate the effect by putting a tennis ball just below my neck right around the C7 to T1 vertebrae, and gently laying on that.

When I told my doctor, because I described it as pain, she suggested not to lay in that pose anymore (Like that old joke. Patient: “Doctor, it hurts when I do this!” Doctor: “Then don’t do that!”) but it seems to me this may be leading me somewhere, so I actively pursue the sensation and try to get it to occur.

Any ideas what this might be? Is it something trying to ‘release’?

This may be issue of referred pain of low back pain. In such conditions, problem is not present on the site but it is triggered by other areas of body. For example in sciatica nerve pinching, person may not feel tingling sensation on low back but can feel on other areas, sometimes only on toes.

Especially when you feel sensation in supine position, it is another indicator that you may have low back issue causing it.

You may be right except I think the sensation is triggered from a misalignment in my [I]neck[/I] rather than my lower back.

I work as a computer programmer, and that kind of work tends to give you a pointing chin.

When I lay supine, it counteracts this tendency and provokes the sensation.

At least that’s my theory.

Neck and back share one backbone and one misalignment leads to another because body tries to compensate to make you stand without fall.

Low back issue can aggravate more if there is already neck issue and vise versa.

If you fix your backbone issues then you may see positive result of your problem.