What are examples of selfless service?

Even volunteer for someone has expected and unexpected benefits. What would be examples of[B] absolutely[/B] selfless service than?

It might be so in the beginning for everyone but how can one be expected to have no expectations in the beginning? The less you let mind impact you , the lesser expectations to have something in return. Then eventually you will give without thinking of return at all. No one can be totally selfless without years of practice and you also need to have food , money to pay rent etc.if you dont have money or enough food you will of course be selfish to survive. Small steps will take you there but trying to take a big step will probably not be so good :-).

Unconditional love has no expectations, desire has expectations; Interest in others is egoistic, self-concerned, self-oriented, a way to enable your own image of yourself, perhaps be equally selfish on behalf of everybody i.e. everybody’s welfare is your welfare, realizing yourself as the world and the world as yourself there can be no way of being selfish.

NO NO NO.
You are selfish for a reason.
Survival.
If you wish to be selfless.
Then make virtues part of your self oriented self.
Thus you will be a selfish man who desires altruism.

How do you do a selfish act?
Do something that “takes” from you, and “gives” to another, “knowing” fully that you will be getting nothing back.
Take me. I give money to my ex constantly so she can help support her,her little one, an her mom. She works yes.
But doesnt make enough usually.
Do I enjoy giving her money?
No, is it the right thing to do? Yes, as long as she works towards being self sustaining.

Secure is to be without care.
Insecure is to care.

To be selfish is to care.
To be selfless is not to care.

Be secure, give without caring.
Want for nothing except the highest obligations and goals.
Lick the stars. Touch the sky. Visit the mad hatter an see straight.
Be well people.

thank you for the input, BUT i do not mean money or food, or other material goodies in return. I meant the question to be deeper and got misunderstood instead;) .

feeling good while volunteering or giving is an example of the benefit…or being a part of “selfless community” is benefit being in the community and feeling a part of it…

See now you have got a thought, if you really want to know how it feels do it, dont ask others how they feel. Other peoples experience will not be the same for you. If you really want to know you must do it. You dont need to be part of a selfless community to do good deeds. A place like that could be a breeding ground for competition.

Giving without the expectation of return.

Giving and not telling other people about it.

Giving and knowing you are the only person in the world who knows.

Selfless= to preform an action without the self in mind.
Unselfish=with self in mind, to preform an act with no benefit to self.
Selfish=to preform an act with self in mind.

Philosophy=semantics.
=P

YES!!! WITHOUT SELFISH MOTIVES!!! BUT IT STILL MAKES YOU LOOK GOOD and FEEL GOOD… this is an “unexpected” benefit that is UNAVOIDABLE!

In the beginning might it be so , eventually you will give without feeling that spacious good feeling and just feeling equanimous to it. In the beginning if you feel good it could be classified as selfish, you do it to feel good, but on the other hand if you did not feel good about it you would not continue to give would you? Just continue to do selfless service and with practice comes equanimity.

Back to your question do you mean selfless service in the beginning is not 100% selfless nor could it be as it makes you feel good, correct?

That is why you need to practice till you feel equanimous about it.

Then ask your self:
If it did not make you feel good in the beginning, would you continue doing it?

With all due respect, everyone here is over thinking the concept and adding style to it.
The concept of selfless service is just that, a concept.
There are rarely absolutes, especially in conceptual IDEAS.

The thing you speak of is akin to the common sense idea of kindness.
Specifically, doing something for someone that does not benefit you in any way.
Do not indulge your mind in celebrating, but if you perceive some sort of subtle blessing coming from that state, who are you to deny it? Let it happen. Stop it if you feel you cannot handle the responsibility of keeping your ego in check.

Peace and love.

Hi everyone.
Ive asked a lot of people why they are leaving, what for? Sex, drugs, family, health, money and all together in one time - i got in reply. Sometimes im asking myself what am i leaving for? And i cannt find any clear reason, coz i dont know. Do you know about yourself?

P.S. Im not a memmber of any religious churchs or sects. Its only personal question.

What are people leaving, how do you mean? What are you leaving (family?money) and what are you trying to achieve?

“Until you do something for someone that can never repay you, you’re just practicing.”~ Raymond Killeen

[QUOTE=ray_killeen;86451]“Until you do something for someone that can never repay you, you’re just practicing.”~ Raymond Killeen[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about something along those lines too. Try helping people anonymously, without being seen or heard by anyone. There’s always a risk that you might still enjoy yourself of course :smiley: . Then again, I’m not sure you should focus on achieving equanimity. That seems to include an awful lot of effort, like huffing and puffing, and in the end leads to suffering… doesn’t it? Seems equanimity needs to be attained otherwise.

We evolved to feel good when doing things for others. It’s hard wired into our DNA.

I think omshanti hit the nail right on the head.

It’s impossible for humans to be completely selfless. At some level you are always trying to attain something in return whether it’s enlightenment, peace of mind, or just the feeling that comes with general good will.

This leads to a desire to continue to give more and the cycle continues.

“That which you are, your true self, you love it, and whatever you do, you do for your own happiness. To find it, to know it, to cherish it is your basic urge. Since time immemorial you loved yourself, but never wisely. Use your body and mind wisely in the service of the self, that is all. Be true to your own self, love yourself absolutely. Do not pretend that you love others as yourself. Unless you have realized them as one with yourself, you cannot love them. Don’t pretend to be what you are not, don’t refuse to be what you are. Your love of others is the result of self- knowledge, not its cause. Without self-realization, no virtue is genuine. When you know beyond all doubting that the same life flows through all that is and you are that life, you will love all naturally and spontaneously. When you realize the depth and fullness of yourself, you know that every living being and the entire universe are included in your affection. But when you look at anything as separate from you, you cannot love it for you are afraid of it. Alienation causes fear and fear deepens alienation. It is a vicious circle. Only self-realization can break it. Go for it resolutely.” ~Nisargadatta Maharaj