WHAT'S wrong with this onion?

What is wrong with this organic onion? It sits like that in the water for a month …normal onions MUST sprout. My guess is that they modify the produce or spray it with some chemicals that it want sprout at all!

I used to do it with onions all the times and this is the second onion from the same organic store…that does not sprout ever…but one can see bunch of roots…

it still sits…no sprout… no spoilage signs…like a plastic…

Maybe the part that should sprout was already dried up.

[QUOTE=CityMonk;51394]What is wrong with this organic onion? It sits like that in the water for a month …normal onions MUST sprout. My guess is that they modify the produce or spray it with some chemicals that it want sprout at all!

I used to do it with onions all the times and this is the second onion from the same organic store…that does not sprout ever…but one can see bunch of roots…[/QUOTE]

It is Almighty’s way of telling you to stop eating onions. They are a complete no-no in yoga. So also garlic. And many other food items…

Yoga starts with eating the right food.
regards, anand

[QUOTE=Anand Kulkarni;60872]It is Almighty’s way of telling you to stop eating onions. They are a complete no-no in yoga. So also garlic. And many other food items…

Yoga starts with eating the right food.
regards, anand[/QUOTE]

onions…why?

[QUOTE=CityMonk;60876]onions…why?[/QUOTE]

Along with nutritive value for the body, the food we eat also conditions the mind in accordance with the inherent subtle aspect viz. the [I]“guna”[/I] it possesses.

The three well known [I]“gunas”[/I] are [I]“raja”, (which builds up ego, passion and excessive activity), “tama” (which makes a person dull and lazy) and “sattwa” (which prompts one to look inward).[/I] Needless to say, of these three qualities, the last is conducive to yoga.

Meat is mostly [I]“tama”[/I] and is shunned by yogis. In addition, eating meat translates into upsetting the journey of another soul. According to the Doctrine of karma, this may attract similar result on that person.

Even in vegetarian foods, at the top of the negative list is onion and garlic.

The best way is to experience.

regards, anand

Actually:
“Onions: Considered by the Egyptians to be a symbol of the universe. Onion juice is used to cure earache, colds, fever, laryngitis, warts and cancer. Onions stimulate blood production, purify the blood and balances blood sugar levels. Attacks bacteria.” (From website of “kundaliniyogabootcamp”)

“In the Hatha Yoga tradition, in which celibacy plays a role, they warn against the use of onion and garlic because they are said to stir up “passions.” In the Kundalini Yoga tradition, onion and garlic are prescribed for their healing properties because Kundalini Yoga is ideally able to transmute sexual energy.” (From website of “raviana”)

[QUOTE=Anand Kulkarni;60887]Even in vegetarian foods, at the top of the negative list is onion and garlic.
[/QUOTE]

I would add leeks, shallots and scallions, the rest of the members of the Allium family.

@CityMonk: They are chemically too strong and stress your body and finally affect your mind. Only eat them when you’re sick.

[QUOTE=daphnecrane;61071]Attacks bacteria."[/QUOTE]

They attack good bacteria as well.

[QUOTE=daphnecrane;61071]Actually:
“Onions: Considered by the Egyptians to be a symbol of the universe. Onion juice is used to cure earache, colds, fever, laryngitis, warts and cancer. Onions stimulate blood production, purify the blood and balances blood sugar levels. Attacks bacteria.” (From website of “kundaliniyogabootcamp”)

“In the Hatha Yoga tradition, in which celibacy plays a role, they warn against the use of onion and garlic because they are said to stir up “passions.” In the Kundalini Yoga tradition, onion and garlic are prescribed for their healing properties because Kundalini Yoga is ideally able to transmute sexual energy.” (From website of “raviana”)[/QUOTE]

Dear Friend:

Yes, onions do have medicinal properties. Onion extract was being used some decades back to treat even cholera.

However, there is no point consuming medicine when you are not ill at all.

As regards your point about transmuting sexual energy, I feel even a [I][B]kundalini yoga[/B][/I] aspirant would get a setback by ingraining [I][B]“rajas” / “tamas”[/B][/I] qualities through such food items, thereby creating a larger gap for [I][B]mother kundalini[/B][/I] to overcome.

Eating improper food would be akin to a swimmer tying a boulder to the chest and hoping to swim effortlessly. Or it would be like climbing out of a pit first and then beginning the climb up.

regards, anand