What's your Yoga Music

Hello. I’m new here and I wanted to ask everyone what is your favorite type of music to practice Yoga. I have only been to one beginner Yoga class, and enjoyed it.

After that, I began looking for some music that I can relax, meditate, or do yoga with, and I haven’t really found what I am looking for. Since I’m an aspiring film composer, I thought, “Hey, I’ll just make my own.”

So that is what I’m doing, just as a fun project. But I would very much like to know. “What kind of music do you like to do yoga, relax, or meditate with? …and why?”

Glad to be here, and hope I can learn a lot.

Michael

Hello and welcome Michael.

I'm finding it interesting that you pose this questions as I am new at Yoga Forums myself.  I feel like I'm am writing lengthy posts, but at the same time feel as if they are the Readers Digest condensed versions. That's fun!  I'm in the middle of both thoughts.  I had posted something with regard to what you asked just last night.  You can follow the thread for DVD recommendations, but I'll copy and paste a portion of what I had posted to Makena.  

Music selection is always fun. You will find different schools of thought on music. Should we be quieting the mind or distracted by music but I Like to experiment with both as options. Here is one of my playlist for an upbeat practice. Includes many genres of music. What relaxes one person definitely can upset another. Try some of these artists... 

Shiva Manas Puja Asana
Angels of the Sea Tajalli
Om The Moody Blues
A Smile That Explodes Joseph Arthur
Catch the Wind Joan Baez, Donavan
Reaching for Light Lizzie West & The White Buffalo
All We Have Brett Dennen
Beauty of the Sea The Gabe Dixon Band
Krsna Pranam Jaya Lakshmi & Deva Priyo
What a Day Greg Laswell
If Not for You Phil Keaggy
I Try Ben Taylor
Spirits Ty Burhoe
Samba Sadashiva Donna De Lory
Getting Some Fun Out of Life Madeleine Peyroux
Elements Into Light Layne Redmond (Bija seed sounds)
Yesterday (beatles) Judy Collins

It would be a nice mix of mantra… folk, soft rock, jazz, new age, etc.
Anything particular that you do like… world beats is always fun…
any of Shaman’s Dream, a compilation called Eden: Global chill…
Rara Avis. Well now that I’ve put some ideas down.

You can check some of the playlists on Itunes as well.  

There are different schools of thought about doing yoga to music.  Yoga Journal had an article at some point in time.  B.K.S. Iyengar says NO... David Life and Sharon Gannon, definitely YES..

Currently listening to: Tom Noble Indian Sunset  "Raj DUB"
1 Like

I really like Jai Uttal - Music for Yoga and Other Joys
Karunesh - Global Spirit
Dead Can Dance
Aria
Deva Premal

Then I also practice to trance, trip hop among other things…

We can practice together, each from our own remote locations. You can DJ!

I do not listen to outside music while practicing asana.
While working, sometimes I listen to this.
And if music … check this.

Hubert, The sweetness of melody can ignite, create, calm and even ingratiate. You have brought me into your favor this morning with your gifts.

1 Like

I do not use music when doing the things you mention.

I listen to music, I practice yoga, but I rarely do them together (anymore).

Hmm, I just recognized Inner Athlete from an all day intensive workshop in NYC, teaching Purna yoga. I was there with my daughter for the day. We did the morning series and hip openers. I am still using the sequences. Nice to see you and interact with you once again. You were assisting on that day, and a big help.

1 Like

Ah the Omega Conference, right?
Yes of course. What a group we had there. Some very interesting and diverse yogis for the workshops. I remember it well. But it does seem so long ago.

Lovely to hear you’ve gotten mileage out of the series and they are continuing to work for and with you. Very empowering.

Really interesting to read all thoughts. I recently wrote a blog post where 10 yoga teachers are talking about how they use music in their classes. I was really fun writing and interesting to discover how their thoughts differ.
Here's the post:
https://songsofedenmusic.com/10-yoga-teachers-use-yoga-music/

I go to a Yoga studio that has many teachers rotating, and each have their own play lists, so a lot of variety.

One of many groovy tunes . . .