When Yoga Makes Me Angry - Back off or Push Deeper?

I’ve been practicing yoga almost daily for the past two months (at home practices/online videos), and starting to bump up the intensity of the practice. I’ve noticed each practice pulling forth a different emotion every time. Much like a box of chocolates, I don’t know what i’ll get when I pull out the mat. There’s been laughter, crying, tingling, numbness, lightheaded, etc. This past practice I got so angry I didn’t even finish. Which I feel guilty about.

My question is, when the emotions get that intense (I was literally cussing under my breath and felt such resentment in my chest) what is the best coarse of action? Stop holding the pose and go into something calming like child’s pose? Do a yoga practice that isn’t as emotionally intense the next time around? Stay in the pose and breath through it?

Any suggestions of thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Without knowing your practice - since you've not outlined it, it's difficult to properly advise you. An inappropriate practice can certainly result in anything from a headache to rage, and all points in between. For example, students doing certain pranayama can absolutely churn up powerful emotions, not to mention direct energy into the organic body in ways that are, well, less than wholesome. My point is that in asking about your practice please share it so we don't have to guess what you mean.

Certainly asana brings up things for the student to look at, examine, and process. that is a fine process when it's supported and well guided rather than solo and isolated.

Balasana, or Child's Pose is an introspective pose which is incorrectly labeled as a "resting " pose. Not everyone finds introspection to be calming and not at all points in time. If you find it calming, that's fabulous. But it is not the posture I'd advocate for an overly introspective student as it can worsen the state of things.

There is no yogic reason to remain in a pose and breathe through it. If the emotion level is that powerful, remaining is the equivalent of the no pain, no gain" mantra of weight lifting in the 90s. This doesn't hold for Yoga. Of course there are times when self-exploration does warrant remaining int he pose. But not as you've described.

I'd be interested to learn what pranayama you are incorporating, when. Also the construct or sequence of your practice may not be suitable for your constitution. Since you've chosen online videos you don't have a teacher to turn to for guidance - a byproduct of the aforementioned choice. Tell me more about the practice and I'll tell you more about the practice.

Gordon Kaplan
Founder, Team Yoga

Hi, thank you for your response! I will try to describe my practice as best I can, being such a beginner I’m not entirely sure of nomenclature or how to correctly talk about it.

I started out with very beginner videos, working on flexibility, back and neck stretches and those were very smooth for me.

It’s when I started on harder poses that I would notice a headache at the end of the practice. For example, I started looking into practices that offered deeper stretches, and it was specifically hip opening moves and holding certain poses that would bring up the anger and just a feeling of inadequacy. Key ones would be moving through the warrior poses and holding them, lunges, and then holding a forward bend out of the blue would churn things up. When going to vinyasa or kundalini classes (as in going to a studio) I would notice resentment as well. It seems my body likes a more gentle flow?

I really want to get into a class and find a teacher to help with my ignorance and help guide me properly through practices. I am traveling right now, so I don’t have a stable home base to find a good community. I like the home practice because it does a lot of good for me when it is not too intense, clearing my head, putting me in a better mood, etc.

What would your advice be that I stick to while i’m on my own?