When you're sick

I have come down with a cold, a really nasty one. I can hardly swallow 'cause my throat is so soar, I cough constantly and I sound like a crow. My nose is not very runny yet, so at least I can breath through it - so far.

How do you do with your yogasessions when you feel like this? I haven’t been able to do anything for a few days and I’m so restless!!

Are there any asanas that are particularly good when you have a cold? No physically challenging ones of course, but maybe some that helps open up the throat, lungs and chest?

/Jenny - who’s feeling really, really sorry for herself!

when your sick it is time to go into cleansing mode, not postures but you may want to look into the six purification techniques of yoga. Personally I fast when my body does not feel hungry and this speeds up getting rid of the cold

I’m on a non voluntary fast since I can’t eat anything! :frowning: I live on warm water with honey and an occasional piece of chocolate (it makes the throat a little less soar, a trick I learned from my singing teacher). I’m not hungry though, just tired. To add to my misery I have to work this weekend, and I work with technical support over the phone. Excellent job when your voice is practically non existent…

I haven’t heard of the six purification techniques, but I’ll look into it! Thanks!

Best for a cold is forgetting about work, and rest. I realize this might be impossible but it is something should be given serious consideration. Think: if you notice the signs of a cold, if you take a few days off, rest, drink a lot of fluids, take huge quantities of vitamin C (preferably from fruit or vegetable juice), you probably get better in a few days, maximum a week, if it’s a really tough virus or you are weak (due to stress, to much work and so on).
If you neglect it, going to work, it will heal in much more time, and you might need antibiotics. (not against the virus,because they are not affected by them, but for the bacterial suprainfection what usually occurs)
It is hard to just relax and not do anything, but it is exactly what you need to do. Also, as far as I know, it is advised not to do any yoga when you suffer from an acute illness. The body has it’s own intelligence, much wiser than our average conscience. Let it do it’s job. beleive me, it does everything it can to get you out of trouble. Trust it, and all will be allright.
Anxiety usually makes the immune system weak. Any kind of anxiety. If you are anxious to continue your practice, you weaken your immunity. Any kind of agitation, restelessness of the mind just works against you.

THE BEST WAY TO CURE SICKNESS IS PRANAYAM.
IT IS THE MOST SIMPLE FORM OF YOGA.FOR MORE DETAILS LOG ONTO
yogcures.com

[quote=Sunflower;4372]I’m on a non voluntary fast since I can’t eat anything! :frowning: I live on warm water with honey and an occasional piece of chocolate (it makes the throat a little less soar, a trick I learned from my singing teacher). I’m not hungry though, just tired. To add to my misery I have to work this weekend, and I work with technical support over the phone. Excellent job when your voice is practically non existent…

I haven’t heard of the six purification techniques, but I’ll look into it! Thanks![/quote]

So it’s all about savasana for me for the next couple of days. :smiley:

The thing is I become so very very stiff in my joints and muscles when I just lie still and rest. And it begins to hurt. :frowning:

Very well… Thanks for you answer. :slight_smile: Now I’m just going to survive the last 90 minutes of work, then I’m planning on sleeping untill tuesday. :smiley:

You are welcome. :slight_smile:

Your body will indicate when you can do asana. If you have been practicing for a while, after the acute phase of your illness passes, you might feel again doing asanas. They surley will help you to recover. Just don’t push them too hard, until you are completely recovered.

I haven’t been practicing yoga for very long at all, but I have very good communication with my body. :slight_smile: My yoga instructor has many times given me credit for listening so good to what my body is telling me. It gets that way when you have had a lot of pain for many year, you learn to listen and respect your body very well.

If the chocolate you mention has sugar I would avoid it around throat issues. Refined sugars supress immune function.

I would increase my hydration and do supported asanas designed to open the respiratory system - open the ribs/chest/intercostals. I would imagine if the student can do Sarvangasana that would stimulate the immune system and generally speaking “feed” the throat chakra.

Honestly, it’s a cold and this too shall pass. So a bit of care, time, and rest will pass it.

I know that lots of sugar isn’t good, but for a couple of days I felt like I had barb wire in my throat. During those days I lived on warm water with honey and lemon in it, and a couple of pieces of chocolate (but most of the time even that was to much to swallow). That was the only thing that gave me some relief, I started crying a couple of times because it hurted so bad. I never felt anything like it, not when it comes to such a “small” thing like a soar throat. I don’t get sick alot, maybe once a year, and I almost never get knocked out in this way.

However. Yesterday and today I have begun to feel alot better. Last night I slept all through the night and I’ve even been able to eat! I just finished off a very soft yoga session, and I can feel the energy returning.

Now… It’s time to get ready for work!

:slight_smile:

The throat pain can be mitigated by garggling with either salt water or apple cider vinegar.

[QUOTE=Sunflower;4413]I know that lots of sugar isn’t good, but for a couple of days I felt like I had barb wire in my throat. During those days I lived on warm water with honey and lemon in it, and a couple of pieces of chocolate (but most of the time even that was to much to swallow). That was the only thing that gave me some relief, I started crying a couple of times because it hurted so bad. I never felt anything like it, not when it comes to such a “small” thing like a soar throat. I don’t get sick alot, maybe once a year, and I almost never get knocked out in this way.

However. Yesterday and today I have begun to feel alot better. Last night I slept all through the night and I’ve even been able to eat! I just finished off a very soft yoga session, and I can feel the energy returning.

Now… It’s time to get ready for work!

:)[/QUOTE]

I’ll remember that tip until the next time! :slight_smile: Thanks!

I think yoga meditation and breathing control can really helps when getting sick.

Hi There,

When I was in India in 2005 I also came down with a terrible cold which developed into a throat and chest infection. One of the Indian ladies on course with me saw this and she did the following for me:

Take 5 Cardemon Pods (it is the whole thing that house the seeds and it is a light greenish colour) and dry fry them over high heat in a pan until they are burnt light brown, you will start to smell them. This release the wonderful oils inside the pods.

Then after burning them, grind the pods, seeds and husks and all, in a mortar and pestle to a fine powder. Mix this powder with some honey and slowly allow it to dissolve in your mouth, while you swallow small amounts at a time.

As it is all natural you cannot overdose, I took it as often that day as I needed it and then the next day only about three times.

If taste terrible, but it helps and my chest was better within a day.

Hope it helps you also.

Fasting is usually best and if you are congested try a neti pot…fill it with a half teaspoon of tumeric. Tumeric is an natural antibiotic and has endless healing properties. There are many other ayurvedic herbs you can use to recover…ask your local Vaidya.

Lily Goncalves
Founder/Director of Blooming Lotus Yoga

[QUOTE=Sunflower;4365]I have come down with a cold, a really nasty one. I can hardly swallow 'cause my throat is so soar, I cough constantly and I sound like a crow. My nose is not very runny yet, so at least I can breath through it - so far.

How do you do with your yogasessions when you feel like this? I haven’t been able to do anything for a few days and I’m so restless!!

Are there any asanas that are particularly good when you have a cold? No physically challenging ones of course, but maybe some that helps open up the throat, lungs and chest?

/Jenny - who’s feeling really, really sorry for herself![/QUOTE]

restorative yoga poses would be good…maybe neti shatkarma to clean the nose and throat,…especially beneficial for colds - Lion Pose and ujai breath,

[QUOTE=BloomingLotusYoga;75517]Fasting is usually best and if you are congested try a neti pot…fill it with a half teaspoon of tumeric. Tumeric is an natural antibiotic and has endless healing properties. There are many other ayurvedic herbs you can use to recover…ask your local Vaidya.

Lily Goncalves
Founder/Director of Blooming Lotus Yoga[/QUOTE]

debatable… fasting might be good for a first day, when one feel so sick tat can not eat;) but after that one need to eat nutritious food to heal faster. Turmeric is good!

When your sick it’s best to take time away from strong asanas. Instead the restorative postures, ayurvedic herbs and neti everyone above recommended are great.

You can also try yoga nidra, which will allow you to balance out the prana in the body/mind and help you recover quicker :slight_smile:

Lily Goncalves
Founder/Director of Blooming Lotus Yoga School

Last winter i had the flu and my throat got so soar and worse when i swallow i then took two drops of wild oregano oil on my tongue and pressed it on my throat, within seconds it was gone and i went to bed, when i woke up it came back worse , could not swallow without severe pain and then i repeated the procedure with two drops and it was gone within seconds and it didnt come back.