Which is the best yoga style?

Hi all,

I’m trying to develop my presence and awareness of myself and my surroundings (rather than the awareness being stuck in the mind). I did acupuncture the other day and found out there was a knot of energy over my liver qi.

I want to be able to cultivate my energy (chi) and was wondering what the best style of yoga would be. There are some classes in my city for hatha, power, hot hatha, and pilates. I was thinking the power one as this would allow me to ‘feel’ my body more and also help develop strength.

Thanks

The best question to ask is: “What is the best yoga style for me?” Check out a few studios and try a class or two. If you want to develop awareness and become sensitive to your body and your energy (prana), then go for hatha yoga. If you are interested in strength and gross physical sensations only, try pilates (which is not yoga) or weight lifting. Hot room yoga can have negative side effects for some (check out this forum). Make sure your power yoga teacher is a good one, so that you remain free from injury.

Check out a few studios and try a class or two. If you want to develop awareness and become sensitive to your body and your energy (prana), then go for hatha yoga. If you are interested in strength and gross physical sensations only, try pilates (which is not yoga) or weight lifting.

Pilates, if you are lucky, can be about awarness, without any esoteric or traditional background. But because it does not deal with prana (qi), at least not consciously, and as far as I know, it will be hard to use it for the purpose you want. But this is true for most yoga classes, too, I guess. Teachers knowledgable in this area are hard to find, not meaning that there are a few, but … you probably need to go through a lot of things until you are ready for them.

For sentence one, presence and awareness, there are several styles and several teachers that might lead YOU to that end. I can’t pinpoint them but I’d look for a robust practice containing many facets, all of them taught within the practice, and a de-emphasis on the traditional western yoga context of yoga body.

For sentence two I sense you would be better served with a Chi Kung or T’ai Chi practice rather than yoga.

Answered as asked.

gordon

If you're new to yoga, you have a lot of options. There are many types of yoga to choose from.

With any style of yoga, you can improve your strength, flexibility, and balance. And all yoga styles release tension in your body, quiet your mind, and help you relax.

To get the most benefit, you should choose a yoga style that matches your current fitness level, as well as your personality and goals for practicing yoga

Try different classes and teachers, and see what works for you.

Ashtanga Yoga

What it's like: Challenging

You do a nonstop series of yoga poses. Ashtanga yoga also uses a special breathing technique that's said to help focus the mind and control the flow of breath through the body.

Bikram Yoga

You do a sequence of 26 yoga poses in a very hot room, above 100 degrees.

Check with your doctor if you have any medical condition, including hypertension or diabetes, before starting this "hot" style of yoga.

Hatha Yoga

What it's like: Gentle

"Hatha yoga" originally meant the physical practice of yoga; the poses rather than the breathing exercises. The term now is often used when a few different yoga styles are combined to create a simple class that's good for beginners learning to do basic poses.

Iyengar Yoga

Detail-oriented and slow-paced, Iyengar yoga is good for beginners.

You may use props -- belts, blocks, and pillow-like bolsters -- to get into poses with correct alignment. Similar styles include Anusara yoga and viniyoga.

Kripalu Yoga

Kripalu yoga begins with slow movements that barely cause a sweat, and progresses through three levels of deeper mind-body awareness.

Kundalini Yoga

What it's like: Kundalini yoga is more spiritual and philosophical in approach than other styles of yoga. Kundalini yoga classes include meditation, breathing techniques, and chanting as well as yoga postures.

Power Yoga

Power yoga is one of the most athletic forms of yoga.

Based on the sequence of poses in Ashtanga yoga, power yoga builds upper-body strength as well as flexibility and balance. You flow from one pose to another.