Which is the Yoga Book you like the best?

Yoga is 99% practice and 1% knowledge. ~Sri Krishna Pattabhi Jois

I feel practice of yoga without complementary study is incomplete. Although practice is the most important aspect if one wants to progress in yoga, I feel books are also equally important. Reading the books keep us motivated and every time a read about an asana I get new perspective on that asana.

The books which I have liked are …

[B]Light on Yoga[/B] By [I]Shri BKS Iyengar[/I]
[B]Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha[/B] By [I]Swami Satyananda Saraswati[/I]

Apart from these I also enjoy Yogajournal. I find the articles inspiring.

I would like to know which books you are reading.

Hi nilendub!

I am also a reader, and feel exactly the same as you about being inspired and motivated through books and articles on yoga. I have too much more to read before I can choose “best”. Actually I’m not very good at choosing just one, but will look through my shelves and see if I can list some favorites for you soon.

Right now I am reading " A Physiological Handbook for Teachers of Yogasana" by Mel Robin, “The Heart of Yoga” by T.K.V.Desikachar (for about the 10th time - great book!) and “Survival of the Sickest” by Dr. Sharon Moalem, which isn’t really yoga, but I’m fascinated by neurogenetics and evolutionary medicine.

wendy

Thanks Wendy for sharing your views…I think Each author has different perspective. Also Just going into a pose is one thing and knowing where to concentrate your awareness is another issue. Right method and right awareness are very important, which can be had from usually from a good teacher. Only problem is usually teachers may not be able to pay individual attention in a class.

If we come back home and study about that asana we add to our learning. So in a way study should be supplementary to Class room.

Hello,

In addition to the books you mention, I also use “Hatha Yoga Illustrated” as a reference guide for asana

Sean

I feel the same about reading nilendub. Most books that I keep at home are books that I can study my whole life: Sutras, Bhagavad Gita, The Yoga Tradition(Feuerstein), The Life Divine (Sri Aurobindo), anatomy books

[quote=nilendub;14653]I feel practice of yoga without complementary study is incomplete. Although practice is the most important aspect if one wants to progress in yoga, I feel books are also equally important. Reading the books keep us motivated and every time a read about an asana I get new perspective on that asana.
[/quote]

It sounds to me that you might like also Anatomy of Hatha Yoga - H. David Coulter

nile ~ i passed up on a discounted book at borders about a month back
it was the totally illustrated guide to yoga. it was about 2 inches thick and packed with pics and history. still kicking myself for that. its discontinued but i have seen prices in the 30.00 range used when this was going for 5.99 new.
: ( live and u learn ~

• my last comment was cutoff ? *
    anyways nile great choices…i have seen that book in the bookstores and leafed through it after watching various breathing exercises exhibits put on by the 90 something year old legend : )
    the current online course i am taking is based on Iyengar.
    with a whole set of courseware just on breathing exercise.
    peace and blessings

What am I currently reading?

I am about to finish Aadil Palkhivala’s book “Fire of Love”.
I’m also making my way through The Science of Yoga, Thoughts and Aphorisms, and Thoughts and Glimpses.

Picking a single book would be difficult for me as each has provided value in its own way.

“The Presence Process”, “A Massage Therapists Guide to Pathology”, “The Science of Fear” and “Trauma, An Osteopathic Approach” are currently strewn about my apartment for me to find and read when I feel like it.

Great question, I have been reading Ganga White’s “Yoga Beyond Belief” which I am really enjoying - well I am actually rereading it…its that good.

Also really enjoying Erich Schiffmans “Yoga The Spirit and Practice of Moving into Stillness” Loving this book!!!

I highly recommend both! And thanks to everyone for all the great input…

Oh! One more Krishnamurti’s (I think its called) “Think on these things”

The books I go back to again and again are
Light on Yoga : BKS Iyengar
Yoga for a New Age : Bob Smith and Linda Boudreau

light on yoga ,Sivananda book of yoga, for insparation and a wonderfull text.

[QUOTE=sanchin;14682]Hello,

In addition to the books you mention, I also use “Hatha Yoga Illustrated” as a reference guide for asana

Sean[/QUOTE]

Sean,

May I know the author. Also I wanted to know, in case you have read “Light on Yoga”, what is the new angle it covers compared to this book?

[QUOTE=Mirjana;14689]I feel the same about reading nilendub. Most books that I keep at home are books that I can study my whole life: Sutras, Bhagavad Gita, The Yoga Tradition(Feuerstein), The Life Divine (Sri Aurobindo), anatomy books

It sounds to me that you might like also Anatomy of Hatha Yoga - H. David Coulter[/QUOTE]
Mirjana,

I think I am getting interested in the book you mentioned and also " A Physiological Handbook for Teachers of Yogasana" by Mel Robin mentioned by Wendy. Thanks for your view.

[QUOTE=dancingmonkey;14723]Great question, I have been reading Ganga White’s “Yoga Beyond Belief” which I am really enjoying - well I am actually rereading it…its that good.

Also really enjoying Erich Schiffmans “Yoga The Spirit and Practice of Moving into Stillness” Loving this book!!!

I highly recommend both! And thanks to everyone for all the great input…

Oh! One more Krishnamurti’s (I think its called) “Think on these things”[/QUOTE]

:):slight_smile:

Are you more interested in spiritual aspect of yoga…I think more than 90% people start of with the physical aspect and much later graduate to spiritual aspect…Let me know what you feel about this…

[QUOTE=tommyd;14692]* my last comment was cutoff ? *
anyways nile great choices…i have seen that book in the bookstores and leafed through it after watching various breathing exercises exhibits put on by the 90 something year old legend : )
the current online course i am taking is based on Iyengar.
with a whole set of courseware just on breathing exercise.
peace and blessings[/QUOTE]

I don’t want to make you feel jealous but in India we can find excellent books for $ 4 to $5. Also the class where I go 6 days a week charges Rs 150 / month which comes to around $3 :slight_smile:

I am reading the [I]Hatha Yoga Pradipika[/I] by Swami Muktibodhananda for the third time again. I am also busy with [I]Anatomy of Hatha Yoga[/I] by David Coulter and a very interesting book on hypertension called [I]The effects of Yoga on Hypertension[/I] by Dr Swami Shankardevananda.

For fun and relaxation I am busy reading [I]Shantaram[/I] by Gregory David Roberts, what a great book, can’t put it down and would recommend it. It is a novel based on true facts.

u da man nile.
: )