Which yoga mat: Drishti Microfiber or Yogitoes Skidless?

Does anyone have any experience with the Drishti Microfiber Mat? I was considering just getting the Yogitoes Skidless Towel, but I wonder if it might be worth the extra $15 to get the Microfiber. The main differences seem to be that the Drishti is longer (72? vs 68?), which is a consideration since I?m 5?10?. Also, I practice at a studio that offers yogis a large base mat, with the expectation that we will put our own mats on top. Technically, I think they would not count the Yogitoes as a mat, but I have a feeling they wouldn?t hassle me about it.

Two other considerations that argue in favor of the Skidless Towel are size and washability. I have a fairly small gym bag, and the Yogitoes could definitely fit in it, which I?m not sure is the case with the Microfiber (hard to tell from the online images). Also, Skidless is machine washable; the Microfiber description doesn?t say, but it does have a silk lining, which isn?t encouraging.

If anyone has experience with one or both of these mats, I would really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!
Zorro for the Common Good

You should get the BIG skidless. I found it at www.absoluteyogi.com for the cheapest price after shopping around. I am pretty anal so I want to be able to wash the mat towel after I get sweat on it or step on it after walking on the studio floor bare foot.

You’re kidding right?

Granted that you are supposed to walk barefoot on the studio floor at our yoga studio, there are still people that walk with their shoes on. Then you don’t know if some people have athelets foot or not. And then your sweat gets on the towel and you also step on it. So I admit I am a bit germ-phobic but if you don’t wash it, don’t you think it is unhygiene?

Besides, haven’t you noticed some people sweat and they have bad BO? So may be you don’t think sweat smells but they do, just some people have particularly strong and unbearable scent than others. So yeah I wash my towel and that’s why I got the skidless because it is washable. If you go exercise and sweat or even just perspire, don’t you wash your clothes afterwards?

I wash my mat. I take it, carefully, whenever I go to practice or teach. I don’t use the mats of others unless I’m in a pinch or at a studio that supplies mats and I know they’ve been cleaned.

This whole bit is a Saucha issue. Students should be taught the Yamas and Niyamas and clenliness is a big part. I could not study at a studio that allows it’s students to walk with shoes within the studio. Shoes are removed at the front so as not to track “old” energy in from the out.

If the mat works for you that’s what’s important.

FYI there is an article in Yoga Journal that talks about foot fungus in yoga studio. People can catch foot fungus from the mat. That’s another reason why I use skidless on top of my own mat. I don’t wash my mat but it touchs the floor so it can pick up the fungus. So I put the Skidless towel on top of my own mat also serves as extra layer of protection while it keeps me from slipping during yoga practise.

See the article here:
http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/223_1.cfm

ok, i don’t know what the big deal is, i have used my $15 Nike mat for the past year and it has only done good for me, a standard easy-roll mat that I can take everywhere for a pop-up Yoga sesh!!

People using their own mat may be less at risk. But definitely be careful using rental mat. Another recent article from New York Times.

Communal Yoga Mats: Beware of Germs

I’ve personally never used a mat and never felt the need for one. I’ve done yoga in bare floor, carpeted floor, you name it. You could also try one of those plastic mats that go under rolling chairs if you have one handy. Or try a discount store and get a cheap welcome mat.

Probably in ancient time when yoga first started people don’t have yoga mats to practise on. But now almost everyone practising yoga use a yoga mat. I generally don’t mind doing yoga at home on the carpet with my SKIDLESS on top. The carpet is soft enough. But in a yoga studio or other hard surface, I prefer using a yoga mat and then put my yoga towel on top. In particular with the Paripurna Navasana (Full Boat Pose) it hurts my tailbone. It is all a matter of personal preference. I like clean smooth surface to practise on. Yoga studio floor are sometimes dirty from other people with dirty feet/athelete’s feet to dust and other debris that can end up on the floor. If I can help it I prefer doing yoga at home when I know I’ve kept my floor/carpet clean. Unfortunately I prefer going to class. Therefore my personal preference is to get a cheap mat that I don’t need to clean and use the SKIDLESS yoga mat on top so I can throw it in the wash after each use.