Yin Yoga Question

I was reading about Yin Yoga and it looks interesting and there is a seminar coming close to my area in about 6 months. I was wondering if anyone could give me more insight into it and if it would be a good choice for an old beat-up and injured martial artist that is now over weight too.

I have also been doing some web research and I am going to buy the book Yin Yoga by Paul Grilley.

Thanks

Paul studied Taoist Yoga with Master Zink for a year learning the beginner’s level practice which he later taught to Sarah Powers. So it depends on what “yin yoga” you are referring to. You can likely find all you need to know about “yin” yoga on the site above.

I did a Yin class last Sunday. Being a guy who is so deeply steeped in Yang energy, it was awesome. The teacher used terms such as Black Knight and Panda Bear and asked us to define which space we spent more time in. Black Knight here! So anything Yin is healing for me. The teacher was awesome and I hope to add this to my practice on a regular basis. It was one of those classes where I felt high afterwards and was in rare space for the following 12 hours or so. LOTS of stretching.

[QUOTE=InnerAthlete;28484]Paul studied Taoist Yoga with for a year learning the beginner’s level practice which he later taught to Sarah Powers. So it depends on what “yin yoga” you are referring to. You can likely find all you need to know about “yin” yoga on the site above.[/QUOTE]

Paulie Zink?. I don?t want to get to deeply into this but Mr Zink, although quite flexible and talented, has some questionable history on the Martial Arts side of thing.

I looked at his Yin Yang Yoga a while back and decided I wanted nothing to do with it.

Thank you, I will need to research this further? And I am still going to buy the book

[QUOTE=Yulaw;28493]Paulie Zink?. I don?t want to get to deeply into this but Mr Zink, although quite flexible and talented, has some questionable history on the Martial Arts side of thing.

I looked at his Yin Yang Yoga a while back and decided I wanted nothing to do with it.

Thank you, I will need to research this further? And I am still going to buy the book[/QUOTE]

Do you care to elaborate?:lol:

My comment and link were intended to encourage a more careful shopping and a heightened level of clarity around the yoga practice being “evaluated”. It was not intended to advocate or renounce either end of the spectrum.

[QUOTE=InnerAthlete;28511]My comment and link were intended to encourage a more careful shopping and a heightened level of clarity around the yoga practice being “evaluated”. It was not intended to advocate or renounce either end of the spectrum.[/QUOTE]

Thank You, I did not think it was. I was just kind of thinking out loud in a typing kind of way :smiley:

I’ve been taking a yin yoga class with a teacher who has taught himself this style through Paul Grilley’s books. I’m totally hooked on it, it’s a great antidote to my usual ashtanga and it helps deepen your practice - those hips well and truly open! Your mind totally shuts down during an hour of yin practice too, it’s heaven.

Thank You

I am still going to buy the book but after much contemplation I have come to the conclusion you can’t serve 2 masters.

Martial Arts and Yoga.

Not that you can’t do both, I really do not see a conflict there, it is just the time necessary for training both that I don’t have.

My knee is getting better slowly and I have been cleared to start training again as soon as I get a rigged knee brace. I am not doomed to a life of wearing it just a few month to let the silly thing recover. I have 2 tears in the cartilage of the knee that per the MD only require surgery should I decide to have it, he does not recommend it.

I think I will go way back in my training and buy the DVD for a book (Ultimate Flexibility: Complete Guide to Stretching for Martial Arts) I got years ago about Martial arts stretching to refresh my memory. I have been trained in most of these stretches over the years and I can do this with the time I have available in a day.

I did locate a Yin Yoga instructor 1.5 hours South of me should I decide to go train it.

Thanks everyone for the answers and I apologize if I have wasted anyone’s time.

I can’t speak for everyone, but I don’t think any time was wasted. Those reading this forum have learned something about Yin Yoga, and also about differing opinions on the subject. No time is wasted if there was learning.

Hey, do you want to learn yin yoga from experts? we are at Arhanta yoga offer yin yoga teacher training online at an affordable price. Become a certified and confident Yin Yoga teacher with Arhanta Yoga. Study and complete the course at your own pace. This premium online course is created by Ram Jain with his 21+ years of teaching experience. After the successful completion of the course, you will receive a certificate that allows you to start teaching Yin Yoga all over the world.