Yin Yoga Question

I have been looking into Yin Yoga of late, just looking into not taking any classes as of yet, and I began to wonder about something in Yin Yoga they are talking about stretching deep tissue and joints and also claims to help the bones themselves

Now when I hear or read this I start thinking ligaments.

From my past experience stretching ligaments is not a good thing, been there, done that and have the Doctor bills to prove it.

Am I missing something here, and admittedly it is likely I am. But after being injured as long as I have been and in the recovery phase I am extra careful doing anything that might reinjure me.

How does one avoid injury in Yin Yoga? Or am I just being silly and overly cautious?

Yulaw,

I don’t know if you are familiar with Sarah Powers and her views on yin/yang Yoga in her book Insight Yoga, according to her yin yoga is gentle, it is about feeling your way through all the sensations in your body. I have integrated her views into my classes and practice and both my yogis and I find yin yoga extremely gentle and sympathetic to our bodies. Perhaps you would like to read her views on yin yoga, because I ahve never got it from her book that the aim of yin yoga is to stretch ligaments, but rather that it is about working with meridians and accepting limitations in a gentle way.

I think I saw a video on youtube with Paul Grilley talking about stretching ligaments so the question is valid.

Hi Yulaw,

for more information get this DVD:

http://www.paulgrilley.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=24&Itemid=17

There are also “other places” to get it. Yaknow. :slight_smile:

I was also sent this link by one on the forum I have great respect for (Thank You LG) and I also found this The Goldilocks’ Position since I posted this

[QUOTE=Pandara;54892]Yulaw,

I don’t know if you are familiar with Sarah Powers and her views on yin/yang Yoga in her book Insight Yoga, according to her yin yoga is gentle, it is about feeling your way through all the sensations in your body. I have integrated her views into my classes and practice and both my yogis and I find yin yoga extremely gentle and sympathetic to our bodies. Perhaps you would like to read her views on yin yoga, because I ahve never got it from her book that the aim of yin yoga is to stretch ligaments, but rather that it is about working with meridians and accepting limitations in a gentle way.[/QUOTE]

It has been recommended that I buy her book as well as Paul Grilley’s before, I do think I shall pick them up soon, thank you

[QUOTE=Chitta Control;54902]I think I saw a video on youtube with Paul Grilley talking about stretching ligaments so the question is valid.[/QUOTE]

I shall check, thanks

[QUOTE=Quetzalcoatl;54912]Hi Yulaw,

for more information get this DVD:

http://www.paulgrilley.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=24&Itemid=17

There are also “other places” to get it. Yaknow. :-)[/QUOTE]

Thank You

If a particular practice resonates with you (whomever the “you” is that is reading this) then it is not for anyone else to really say that it is or isn’t “okay”.

However here you’ve raised a pragmatic point. Not everyone shares the same perch on the continuum between safety and efficacy in the transmission of yoga. That is clear, factual, palpable, and obvious in our world. As I’ve said, some practices are very effective and completely careless about safety. Other practices are so very safe but you get a smattering of effect.

Much like the word “ashtanga” the phrase “yin yoga” has a variety of meanings. There is a nature to all the elements of the practice of yoga of which yin is a part. There is also a nature to a sequence of elements AND the nature which is left in the student after practicing said element(s).

And then there is the label Yin Yoga which is being used to represent and market certain teachings. I don’t know the lineage of those teachings nor do I know the steeping of the teachers, nor have I taken classes labeled as such.

What is relevant to me in reply here (based on my practice, teaching, study et al) is that the physical practice be aligned so as to not foster imbalance and harm in the student’s body. Flopping into a position, remaining there for 3 minutes, being told to feel and breathe…this is lovely, even relaxing. Is it more than that? Is it (without alignment) appropriate for healthy joints and connective tissue in the physical body? I don’t believe so. Others may. Can it be an exploration of self, a connection to dharma? Perhaps. However the obstruction of energy channels in a malaligned pose might bring that into question.

gordon

I am I…or as I like to say by quoting my favorite philosopher… I am what I am and that is all that I am.

[QUOTE=InnerAthlete;55007]
However here you’ve raised a pragmatic point. Not everyone shares the same perch on the continuum between safety and efficacy in the transmission of yoga. That is clear, factual, palpable, and obvious in our world. As I’ve said, some practices are very effective and completely careless about safety. Other practices are so very safe but you get a smattering of effect.

Much like the word “ashtanga” the phrase “yin yoga” has a variety of meanings. There is a nature to all the elements of the practice of yoga of which yin is a part. There is also a nature to a sequence of elements AND the nature which is left in the student after practicing said element(s).

And then there is the label Yin Yoga which is being used to represent and market certain teachings. I don’t know the lineage of those teachings nor do I know the steeping of the teachers, nor have I taken classes labeled as such.

What is relevant to me in reply here (based on my practice, teaching, study et al) is that the physical practice be aligned so as to not foster imbalance and harm in the student’s body. Flopping into a position, remaining there for 3 minutes, being told to feel and breathe…this is lovely, even relaxing. Is it more than that? Is it (without alignment) appropriate for healthy joints and connective tissue in the physical body? I don’t believe so. Others may. Can it be an exploration of self, a connection to dharma? Perhaps. However the obstruction of energy channels in a malaligned pose might bring that into question.

gordon[/QUOTE]

Thank You

Become a certified and confident Yin Yoga teacher training with Arhanta Yoga. Study and complete the course at your own pace. This premium online course is created by Ram Jain with his 21+ years of teaching experience. After the successful completion of the course, you will receive a certificate that allows you to start teaching Yin Yoga all over the world.

What You Will Learn?

Here is a brief overview of what you will learn in this 50 hour Yin Yoga instructor course

• 32 Yin Yoga Poses
    You will gain deep understanding of the alignments, instructions, benefits, contraindications, physiology and variations of the Yin Yoga poses. You will learn how to practice and teach these poses safely and efficiently.
  • Proper use of Props
    You learn to the use the props (like bolsters, cushions, straps) efficiently and not taking the effect away from the pose. You will understand how and when to use a prop.
  • Yin Yoga Philosophy
    You will understand the philosophical perspective of Yin Yoga. You will learn the concepts like chakras, meridians, the three bodies etc. Ram uses stories & humor to simplify these complex concepts.
  • Anatomy and Physiology
    You will learn how the yin poses affect our joints and tissues and how practice of Yin Yoga can help to increase our range of motion. You will learn the important principles so that you will be able to avoid injuries in your personal practice and your classes.