Yoga after surgery

Hi

I have recently had surgery to remove my gall bladder (4 weeks ago) and I am not sure if its ok to get back to yoga yet.

My doctor said I should be ok, but I am still having some pain, so I guess I should listen to my body.

Has anyone else had experience of getting back into a daily yoga practice after surgery?

Would welcome any tips.

Thanks
Dawn

[QUOTE=wellbeingdawn;25649]Hi

I have recently had surgery to remove my gall bladder (4 weeks ago) and I am not sure if its ok to get back to yoga yet.

My doctor said I should be ok, but I am still having some pain, so I guess I should listen to my body.

Has anyone else had experience of getting back into a daily yoga practice after surgery?

Would welcome any tips.

Thanks
Dawn[/QUOTE]

My advice would be to wait for 6 weeks. The reason is simple: scarring takes exactly 29-30 days on an average individual with a good nutritional state. That takes exactly four weeks. Tissue remodeling takes 15 days (two weeks). You would have no problem on simple exercises, but some asanas
require an increase in intra-abdominal pressure and could (not very likely after 4 weeks but there is still a little chance) make some damage.

MEditate for a cuple of weeks and come back renewed afterward hehehehe

Thanks Xamilo, I will wait another few weeks & I meditate every day anyway, so its all good.

I had my gallbladder removed on a Wednesday and did restorative yoga on Sunday. You should be fine, but listening to your body is key. If you have pain…don’t do it. Do you have the option of a yoga class specifically designed for restoration after a surgery or other medical treatment?

For me there is a difference between “pain” and “stretch”. I don’t know how to qualify that here though. (Tough in just text!) After my surgery, doing the restorative yoga I felt a lovely stretch throughout my body but was careful of my belly. I felt it helped the rest of my body recover from the shock of anaesthetic and surgery.

Thanks for your reply Alix, I think I will take it easy a little longer as my liver tore when the gall bladder came out, maybe that why it is still sore.

I will check out if there are some restorative yoga classes in my area, that sounds like it could be useful.

Oh OW! I should have mentioned my surgery was arthroscopic. Thus much faster recovery time. Do be careful and listen to your body. If it says “No” LISTEN TO IT.

[QUOTE=Alix;25687]Oh OW! I should have mentioned my surgery was arthroscopic. Thus much faster recovery time. Do be careful and listen to your body. If it says “No” LISTEN TO IT.[/QUOTE]

Arthoscopic surgery would be a surgery done in an articulation, you might be refering to laparoscopic colecistectomy instead :smiley:

About 90% of gall bladders are taken out this way so Wellbeingdawn most probably had the same type of procedure.

What Xamilo said. Sorry, DH just had arthroscopic knee stuff…I get them mixed.

Xamilo, even if her liver got torn? Sounds a bit more intrusive than the other.

Hey Alix

Yeah I had keyhole surgery the same as you, but aparantly the liver got torn because the gall bladder was stuck to it, then tore when they took it out. Sounds hideous, anyway I am recovering nicely. Soon be back to normal.

[QUOTE=Alix;25689]What Xamilo said. Sorry, DH just had arthroscopic knee stuff…I get them mixed.

Xamilo, even if her liver got torn? Sounds a bit more intrusive than the other. [/QUOTE]

One of the most common complications in laparoscopic gall bladder surgery is the liver piercing. Liver bleeding is usually easy to control by electrofulguration or just point pressure, but when you can’t control it you have to “open up” with a laparotomy; so you’re right, it could have gone the whole way easily. :smiley:

postpone your daily yoga for some days but there after u could start picking up gradually .

i have my liver tissue taken for test for liver problem at early Nov but accident occured in hospital lab that causing internal bleeding, after release from hospital my yoga teacher adv me return to yoga after 6 weeks.

All the bones ache after so long no yoga so I start my class yesterday for a test , the testing was fine for me as I told teacher my problem ask her no need to correct my asanas and I had shorten the holding time , it’s so comfortable after an hr class.

Yesterday from the operation is 3 weeks.

Don’t do it until your wounds are healed.

yes, thanks for the advise but please be assured that i am very careful in it , i have practised yoga for many years and was yoga teacher myself that i know what’s the limit.