Yoga Anatomy Books

Hello All,

I am looking for recommendations on books that focus on the anatomy of the different yoga postures (the muscles, ligaments, and bones they use etc).

I have read some brief forum posts here listing David Coulter’s Anatomy of Hatha yoga and Paul grilley’s yoga anatomy dvd series. I also had a friend recommend Illustrated Light on Yoga by B.K.S. Iyengar.

If you could recommend any other books or provide personal feedback for any of the above it would be greatly appreciated.

“The Key Poses of Hatha Yoga” and “The Key Muscles of Hatha Yoga” both by Ray Long and published by Bandhayoga is in my opinion two excellent books. I studied from them and still use them. You can order them here: http://www.bandhayoga.com/

Also try “The anatomy of Hatha Yoga” by H. David Coulter. I think these three books should give you excellent insights.

[QUOTE=Distance;52063]Hello All,

I am looking for recommendations on books that focus on the anatomy of the different yoga postures (the muscles, ligaments, and bones they use etc).

I have read some brief forum posts here listing David Coulter’s Anatomy of Hatha yoga and Paul grilley’s yoga anatomy dvd series. I also had a friend recommend Illustrated Light on Yoga by B.K.S. Iyengar.

If you could recommend any other books or provide personal feedback for any of the above it would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Coulter’s anatomy is good. I have a copy and have found it useful.

Trail Guide to the Body.

I have “Yoga Anatomy” by Leslie Kaminoff/Human Kinetics. The illustrations are great and explanations and bulletpoints are easy to understand. ISBN: 9780736062787

thanks for info much appreciated. I am currently library diving to check these out =)

In addition to those mentioned:

Stretching anatomy by Arnold G. Nelson and Jouko Kokkonen This is a wonderfully illustrated book!

Anatomy and Asana: Preventing Yoga Injuries by Susi Hately Aldous This was the Anatomy book used in my teacher training. Personally thind the others mentioned are much better.

Yogabody: Anatomy, Kinesiology and Asana by Judith Lasater. This is one of my favorites in addition to ones by Kamikoff and McCall.

I have been reading ‘Ashtanga yoga practice & philosophy’ by Gregor Maehle. Quite informative and complete with anatomical drawings and clear explanations for each posture in the primary series.

leslie kaminoff “yoga anatomy” - nothing but poses an muscles…

****Yoga Anatomy By Leslie Kaminoff
Intelligent Clear Concise Beautifully illustrated
This is the book they gave us in our Teacher Training course and it was a good choice.

*****Anatomy of Yoga: An Instructor’s Inside Guide to Improving Your Poses
by Abigail Ellsworth

This is the book I would offer in a teacher training course
Very user friendly, excellent layout, with computer generated muscle models beside a real human, perfect for beginners through intermediate and a fine reference.

Anatomy of Hatha Yoga
by H. David Coulter
***** Advanced and the finest work on the subject in my opinion.
Might be one to hold off until you have really hit the others, as it may take away from their worthy efforts.

Anatomy for Yoga: An Illustrated Guide to Your Muscles in Action: An Illustrated Guide to Your Muscles in Action
by Leigh Brandon, Nicky Jenkins
**** This book is fantastic if you suffer from or would like more information on postural problems kyphosis, Lordosis, Flat back, Sway back. Contains a separate breathing and meditation sequence for each issue.

The Key Poses of Yoga by Ray Long and Chris Macivor
The Key Muscles of Yoga by Ray Long and Chris Macivor
***** 2 part series Amazing computer generated images, a work of art.
The potential for this work to take you places makes it more than worth a look.

That’s my library
Namaste

Anatomy of Hatha yoga is a quality textbook, but it is not light reading. It is worth having this in your library.

Paul Grilley has some interesting ideas on the topic of individual anatomy.

Iyengar’s Light on Yoga is a classic work, good to have as a resource, a more practical book is Iyengar Yoga: A path to holistic health.

[QUOTE=CityMonk;53111]leslie kaminoff “yoga anatomy” - nothing but poses an muscles…[/QUOTE]

I have this book, but it is pretty useless. It doesn’t offer more than illustrations.

“The Key Poses of Hatha Yoga” and “The Key Muscles of Hatha Yoga” both by Ray Long and published by Bandhayoga is in my opinion two excellent books. I studied from them and still use them. You can order them here: http://www.bandhayoga.com/

Thanks, This looks pretty interesting, you can even read the books on the website.

[QUOTE=Yogamark;53133]****Yoga Anatomy By Leslie Kaminoff
Intelligent Clear Concise Beautifully illustrated
This is the book they gave us in our Teacher Training course and it was a good choice.

[/QUOTE]

I have that book and I think it’s excellent.

Anatomy of Movement ~Blandine Calais-Germain, is another good book in addition to all those stated above.

[QUOTE=Newpractice;69553]I have that book and I think it’s excellent.[/QUOTE]

It is quite bad actually, it reminds me of those bodybuilding books with nothing more than pictures of muscle anatomy charts.

David Coulter and Bandha Yoga are much better, because they deal with functional anatomy and not just with topographic anatomy.

@Sarva,

While Kaminoff’s book is not one I typically go to for detailed info, what I do like is is details what joints are affected, which muscles are lengthening and working and obstacles. It can nicely augment other books mentioned to get a clearer understanding of what is going on in a pose.

It is best to have many books to reference.

To be fair Kaminoff has updated his book and it is a little more user friendly.

He also has an online course, and very informative live tour worth hitting if he attends to your region.

I’ve also taken the Ray Long seminars, and will refresh both again, as they are jaw dropping tours with on screen animations that you won’t find in the books, the book illustrator worked the visual presentation, truly outstanding value.

Note to beginners: I’d go to the beginner books first, they have a special subtle value as foundations but once you’ve read the advanced ones it is hard to go backward. Wish I had the words.