Yoga and Sex vs Celibacy

[QUOTE=GORI YOGINI;62440]Pan, what would you define as “wise conduction of the creative force”? On a practical level, what would that look like?.[/QUOTE]

To my definition could be added “sensory continence” or, as Scales just put, “temperance”.

But that continence or temperance cannot be withheld for very long, the “eros” load present in our sensory experience has to be channelized somewhere, or we could psychologically “explode”…

In Freudian terms, our [B]libido[/B] needs to cover an object.

And for that sake, Yoga, Tantra and other systems provide us a series of techniques or practices that allow us to divert our libido to the divine.

Some examples:

• For channelizing our passion for life we may practice Bhakti Yoga.
  • For our sexual drives, left hand Tantra maithuna.
  • For our gluttony we may pray before meals.

All this is Brahmacharya. Some could discuss that simply abstaining is Bramacharya, I wouldn’t agree. In my opinion, there must be a [B]sublimation[/B].

So, another definition of Brahmacharya could be: libido spiritual sublimation.

Have a look to the Vijnana Bhairava Tantra, a tantric text describing several ordinary situations in life in which we could discover a little gateway towards the divine.

Of course, saints and masters have transcended our actual evolutionary state, they don’t have the need for resorting to all this.

[QUOTE=GORI YOGINI;62352]Yoga requires celibacy - true or false?

Discuss…[/QUOTE]

Dear friend:

Repeating my post elsewhere on this forum:

I would like to take this (subject of celibacy) further into the realms of yoga science. I quote Swami Vishnu Tirtha Maharaj in this regard:

"Semen, the male impregnating fluid is called [I][B]Shukra[/B][/I] and also [I][B]Vindu[/B][/I] in sanskrit and the fluid discharged by ovaries of females, (that fluid which when combined with the spermatozoa of the male semen, develops instantly into an ovum of the embryo), is called [I][B]Raja[/B][/I] and is also regarded as [I][B]Vindu[/B][/I].

Ovaries of the female are glands similar to the testes of the male genital glands. The science of yoga informs us that [I][B]Raja[/B][/I] is also present in the males, but in an undeveloped condition and is situated in the region of the perinium, known to yogis as [I][B]Yoni-sthan[/B][/I].

Similarly, [I][B]shukra[/B][/I] in undeveloped condition is present in the females. Thus [I]shukra and raja,[/I] [B]both[/B] exist in the bodies of males [B]and[/B] females. A yogi combines the two oppositely charged fluids [B]in one’s own system[/B] and starts the evolutionary process.

Union of [I]Shukra with Raja[/I] [B]outside[/B] one’s body, i.e. within the womb of a female produces an offspring; but within one’s own system, starts the evolution of the involved [I][B]Prana Shakti[/B][/I], which in five known stages, evolves into [I][B]soma[/B][/I], the highest [I][B]vindu[/B][/I] in the cerebellum.

[I][B]Soma[/B][/I] in turn, brings [I][B]samadhi[/B][/I] through merging of mind and prana into the Self."

I hope this throws enough light on the importance of celibacy (to an aspiring yogi of course).

regards, anand

It depends on the need for which you practice Yoga :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Sahasrara;62533]It depends on the need for which you practice Yoga :)[/QUOTE]

Dear friend:

In yoga, by definition, there is only [B]one[/B] final goal.

regards, anand

[QUOTE=Anand Kulkarni;62531]Union of [I]Shukra with Raja[/I] [B]outside[/B] one’s body, i.e. within the womb of a female produces an offspring; but within one’s own system, starts the evolution of the involved [I][B]Prana Shakti[/B][/I], which in five known stages, evolves into [I][B]soma[/B][/I], the highest [I][B]vindu[/B][/I] in the cerebellum.[/QUOTE]

Anand,

Is Soma = Amrita? The wonderful intoxicating sweet fluid that drips down the throat?

How can one preserve ones bindu when testicles and prostate start hurting because of the abstinence?

[QUOTE=panoramix;62552]Anand,

Is Soma = Amrita? The wonderful intoxicating sweet fluid that drips down the throat?

How can one preserve ones bindu when testicles and prostate start hurting because of the abstinence?[/QUOTE]

Dear Friend:

Again to quote from works by Swami Vishnu Tirth Maharaj:

"(In a larger context), [I][B]soma[/B][/I] is described as the life giving fluid that descends from the heavens, and takes the form of [I][B]Parjanya[/B][/I] and showers down with rain, builds up vegetation, enters the body with the vegetable food and is ultimately transformed into semen (in men).

[I][B]Soma[/B][/I] is thus the highest form of [I][B]vindu[/B][/I] and semen, the [B]lowest[/B]. Science of Yoga prescribes practices which make a yogi taste the [I][B]soma[/B][/I] fluid. In case of ordinary persons, it flows down the spinal cord, in the ordinary course of nature and is burnt in the fire of the Sun; but a yogi through the practice of [I][B]khechar[/B][/I]i makes it drop down the nasal roof and by raising the tongue into the palatal cavity above the soft palate, begins to taste it. The fluid so tasted rejuvenates his whole system; perhaps all glands become charged afresh with vitality, bringing in youth-like age even to old bodies."

So yes, [I][B]soma is amrit[/B][/I]. To continue with the words of Swami Vishnu Tirth Maharaj:

“In conclusion we may say that a seed is the last product of creation and every seed possesses two lobes, serving the function of male and female, both combined, having the power of germinating. So is the case with the animal kingdom. In case of human beings, when the two are made to combine internally, they instead of procreating for the continuation of the species, evolve out a force which makes the potentially residual [I][B]Kundalini[/B][/I] Power kinetic and gives it the evolutionary turn. As in the case of sex enjoyment, both the parties experience a kind of sensual pleasure, in the same way, the union of all dual forces, viz. [I][B]Prana and Apana, Ida and Pingala, Shukra and Raja[/B][/I] make the forces of mind and [I][B]Prana[/B][/I] discharge themselves into the Absolute, yielding a higher sense of spiritual bilss.”

Please note classical [I][B]Vajaroli and Khechari[/B][/I] are extremely difficult Hatha Yoga practices. Hence in [I][B]Mahayoga[/B][/I], there is an extremely simple Introductory Practice, which takes the mind directly into [I][B]Prana,[/B][/I] whose form is that of [B]air[/B] that [B]automatically[/B] enters and leaves the body.

Regards, anand

I experienced Amrita for three years as a result of my Kriya Yoga practice, I felt really “high” and blessed, and it tasted like ripe pear juice. But eventually, it waned until disappearing. I have no more experienced it although my practice and lifestyle haven’t changed.
I know about many other yoga students who have undergone this process.

What could be the reason? Do you think our brain may develop “tolerance” to that substance, like happens with drugs?

[QUOTE=panoramix;62557]I experienced Amrita for three years as a result of my Kriya Yoga practice, I felt really “high” and blessed, and it tasted like ripe pear juice. But eventually, it waned until disappearing. I have no more experienced it although my practice and lifestyle haven’t changed.
I know about many other yoga students who have undergone this process.

What could be the reason? Do you think our brain may develop “tolerance” to that substance, like happens with drugs?[/QUOTE]

Dear Friend:

I think you have to ask these questions to your Guru, as only Guru will know the processes taking place in you.

Even then, if you ask me, perfection in [I][B]Vajroli[/B][/I] and [I][B]Khechari[/B][/I] practices of Hatha Yoga, lead to experiencing [I][B]Amrit.[/B][/I] This represents the physical plane of evolution. This phase for you has probably reached its end, via Kriya Yoga practices. Maybe, you should now touch the higher aspects of the internal unions.

The practices of Kriya Yoga eventually lead to awakening the evolutionary aspect of Kundalini. This may have taken place in you. Maybe, more time needs to be spent in sitting still, with body completely relaxed and [B]allowing[/B] the awakened Kundalini to carry out internal purification on her own, i.e. without your interference.

Regards, anand

[QUOTE=Anand Kulkarni;62536]Dear friend:

regards, anand[/QUOTE]

This is a simple but important statement for one to heed.

Thank you Anand.

[QUOTE=Anand Kulkarni;62536]Dear friend:

regards, anand[/QUOTE]

The goal may be only one, but the needs for which yoga is customized and adopted in the western world is not as per the only one goal as set forth by the hindu scriptures. Yoga in the western world is adopted for ones own need and is different from each other. Whatever goal you are talking about is not the same as the need of many who are contradicting celibacy here.

whats the one goal?

[QUOTE=panoramix;62552]

How can one preserve ones bindu when testicles and prostate start hurting because of the abstinence?[/QUOTE]

Yes, any brahmachari guys on here can answer that? I’m a female so wouldn’t know but I’m curious as to how the celibate life works for men (if it works for them at all).:wink:

Anand, where are you getting your definition of “soma” from? Can you cite a reference please.

Does anyone have any books tips meditations that can help with trying to keep Brahmacharya ~ Celibacy

I have been trying to keep this but its getting really really hard. I am a massage therapist and work on women all day. I have been focusing on Brahmacharya ~ Celibacy to give myself more powers in yoga meditation and surfing but lately the urge has been becoming very hard to control since I am a 28 year old male.

Any tips on meditations or books to channel this energy into other positive areas of my life?

I have to say - trying to be celibate while massaging women as a 28 year old male takes balls. I am un qualified to offer any advice, except that a change in profession may help.

[QUOTE=handsofeye;62622]Does anyone have any books tips meditations that can help with trying to keep Brahmacharya ~ Celibacy

I have been trying to keep this but its getting really really hard. I am a massage therapist and work on women all day. I have been focusing on Brahmacharya ~ Celibacy to give myself more powers in yoga meditation and surfing but lately the urge has been becoming very hard to control since I am a 28 year old male.

Any tips on meditations or books to channel this energy into other positive areas of my life?[/QUOTE]

One trick is to send all your female customers to your female therapist and handle only male customers :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=panoramix;62596]Thank you Anand.[/QUOTE]

Dear Friend:

You should thank H.H. Paramhamsa Yogananada and Babaji. I’m sure you must be doing that on a daily basis, esp. before beginning your practices.

These and a few more [I][B]Avatars[/B][/I] continue to guide the [B]ardent[/B] aspirant even today, provided he/she surrenders their ego to them.

regards, anand

[QUOTE=Anand Kulkarni;62645]Dear Friend:

You should thank H.H. Paramhamsa Yogananada and Babaji. I’m sure you must be doing that on a daily basis, esp. before beginning your practices.

These and a few more [I][B]Avatars[/B][/I] continue to guide the [B]ardent[/B] aspirant even today, provided he/she surrenders their ego to them.

regards, anand[/QUOTE]

You sure do have a lot of qualifiers “provided he/she surrenders thier ego to them” And what the river styx does surrendering thier ego mean?

also where is the Sun located? I.e the Reference to the HYP sloka?

Hmmm?

also what is the ONE goal of yoga?

[QUOTE=FlexPenguin;62632]I have to say - trying to be celibate while massaging women as a 28 year old male takes balls. I am un qualified to offer any advice, except that a change in profession may help.[/QUOTE]

I am doing extremely good then. I have been doing daily meditation and putting most of my energy into surfing, surfing everyday. I want to teach yoga more but still thats hard also. 80% of yogis at least in America are women in tight pants and tube tops.

So I guess just do more focused meditation. The old yogis in India had it much easier they didn’t have to work and were completely removed from women making there path a simple road to follow. I quess I will just be allot stronger because of it then

[QUOTE=Sahasrara;62634]One trick is to send all your female customers to your female therapist and handle only male customers :)[/QUOTE]

that would be nice also but almost all my clients are female over 90% actually. More meditation then and more surfing