Yoga and Sex vs Celibacy

From post no.33 above:

Anand, where are you getting your definition of “soma” from? Can you cite a reference please.

From post no.38 above:

also where is the Sun located? I.e the Reference to the HYP sloka?

For both these queries, one may refer to [I][B]Yoga Shikha Upanishad[/B][/I], Ch.5, v-32 and v-33

It is given therein that the celestial sun corresponds to the fire in the navel region (manipur chakra?) and the moon corresponds the root of the palate.

regards, anand

You sure do have a lot of qualifiers “provided he/she surrenders thier ego to them” And what the river styx does surrendering thier ego mean?

With intellect (buddhi) unhampered by doubt, accepting them (their omniscience and omnipotence) as the master of the microcosm that you are is the import of what I wanted to convey.

I may still be falling short in conveying the idea. Pl excuse me.

regards, anand

[QUOTE=handsofeye;62650]I am doing extremely good then.

80% of yogis at least in America are women in tight pants and tube tops.
[/QUOTE]

This also accounts for 25% of my motivation for going to yoga class :slight_smile:

I guess I have a long, long way to go!

BTW - all the surfer movies I’ve seen are peppered with nubiles in skimpy suits. I am questioning if you are for real. At the risk of starting a religious diatribe, even Jesus would have a tough time with your occupations.

[QUOTE=Anand Kulkarni;62675]With intellect (buddhi) unhampered by doubt, accepting them (their omniscience and omnipotence) as the master of the microcosm that you are is the import of what I wanted to convey.

regards, anand[/QUOTE]

“unhampered by doubt”- this where the problem starts and the western world customizes yoga for their need and do not mostly and undoubtedly believe in “The only goal of yoga”. Here the yoga is mostly coated with “Charvaka” flavor and so celibacy is a myth for this part of world and so people get physical pains even if they think of practicing celibacy.

[QUOTE=Sahasrara;62679]“unhampered by doubt”- this where the problem starts and the western world customizes yoga for their need and do not mostly and undoubtedly believe in “The only goal of yoga”. Here the yoga is mostly coated with “Charvaka” flavor and so celibacy is a myth for this part of world and so people get physical pains even if they think of practicing celibacy.[/QUOTE]

Dear Friend:

There is no reason for a science to get diluted or “flavoured” as per “requirements” of any part of the world, east, west, middle or anywhere else.

The law that Action and reaction are equal and opposite holds good equally in Japan as in the US.

Even if yoga science has results on multiple spheres, these all emanate from actions at the deepest levels. It would be suicidal to continue with opposing actions saying that “our aim is different” and hence, a particular requirement is redundant. [B]It may even produce diseases.[/B]

regards, anand

[QUOTE=Sahasrara;62610]The goal may be only one, but the needs for which yoga is customized and adopted in the western world is not as per the only one goal as set forth by the hindu scriptures. Yoga in the western world is adopted for ones own need and is different from each other. Whatever goal you are talking about is not the same as the need of many who are contradicting celibacy here.[/QUOTE]

Yoga, with respect as outlined by Patanjali, does not require Hindusim.

[QUOTE=ray_killeen;62684]Yoga, with respect as outlined by Patanjali, does not require Hindusim.[/QUOTE]

Your remark is completely out of context, but nonetheless yoga as outlined by patanjali is nothing else than Hinduism. It’s only because people’s understanding of Hinduism is limited to caste, cow and curry that they can’t see that the yoga sutras of patanjali are soaked in Hindu thinking or that the yoga sutras are only a small part of the wider yogic literature within Hinduism.

[QUOTE=ray_killeen;62684]Yoga, with respect as outlined by Patanjali, does not require Hindusim.[/QUOTE]

Anent,

Can you comment on this? This will augument your previous reply too to reason out why do people flavorize yoga in this part of the world. Since, i am a staunch hindu, I have no problem in taking this science, but you need to get into the mind of a so called yogi from western part of the world also.

[QUOTE=Sarvamaṅgalamaṅgalā;62685]Your remark is completely out of context, but nonetheless yoga as outlined by patanjali is nothing else than Hinduism. It’s only because people’s understanding of Hinduism is limited to caste, cow and curry that they can’t see that the yoga sutras of patanjali are soaked in Hindu thinking or that the yoga sutras are only a small part of the wider yogic literature within Hinduism.[/QUOTE]

How can my comment be out of context? Sahasrara was misleading readers that Hinduism is part of yoga, when in fact yoga is part of Hinduism.

[QUOTE=Sarvamaṅgalamaṅgalā;62685]Your remark is completely out of context, but nonetheless yoga as outlined by patanjali is nothing else than Hinduism. It’s only because people’s understanding of Hinduism is limited to caste, cow and curry that they can’t see that the yoga sutras of patanjali are soaked in Hindu thinking or that the yoga sutras are only a small part of the wider yogic literature within Hinduism.[/QUOTE]

I would rather say Yoga is a technology developed by Hinduism.
And like any other technology, it can be applied to several purposes.

You may see that yogic terminology is sanskrit and rooted in Hinduism, but that does not mean it “is” Hinduism, as in the same way computers “are not” american culture, or capitalist economy “is not” british culture, and so on…

A christian, a muslim, a shamanist… all of them could make use of Yoga for evolving to the state of true meditation, and then go on to liberation through prayers or meditations of their systems.

Things are not white or black. Thankfully.

[QUOTE=Anand Kulkarni;62681]Dear Friend:

There is no reason for a science to get diluted or “flavoured” as per “requirements” of any part of the world, east, west, middle or anywhere else.

The law that Action and reaction are equal and opposite holds good equally in Japan as in the US.

Even if yoga science has results on multiple spheres, these all emanate from actions at the deepest levels. It would be suicidal to continue with opposing actions saying that “our aim is different” and hence, a particular requirement is redundant. [B]It may even produce diseases.[/B]

regards, anand[/QUOTE]

Does this mean practicing yoga without celibacy can/may even produce diseases?

[QUOTE=Anand Kulkarni;62675]With intellect (buddhi) unhampered by doubt, accepting them (their omniscience and omnipotence) as the master of the microcosm that you are is the import of what I wanted to convey.

regards, anand[/QUOTE]

Still too much fluff.

Whittle it down to [B]“accepting them.”[/B]

[QUOTE=Anand Kulkarni;62675]
For both these queries, one may refer to Yoga Shikha Upanishad, Ch.5, v-32 and v-33

It is given therein that the celestial sun corresponds to the fire in the navel region (manipur chakra?) and the moon corresponds the root of the palate.

regards, anand
[/QUOTE]

Manipura chakra emanates from the spinal column near the level of the navel. So it is dorsal or ‘west’ in respects to the body.

It is not the so called sublte “sun.”

Although there are subtle centers ‘above the palate’ “above the palate” doesn’t say quite where the ‘moon’ is now does it? Pretty vague if you ask me.

[QUOTE=Sahasrara;62686]Anent,

Can you comment on this? This will augument your previous reply too to reason out why do people flavorize yoga in this part of the world. Since, i am a staunch hindu, I have no problem in taking this science, but you need to get into the mind of a so called yogi from western part of the world also.[/QUOTE]

The only yogic flavors I?m aware of are Jnana, Bhakti, Karma & Raja Yoga.

I would rather say Yoga is a technology developed by Hinduism.
And like any other technology, it can be applied to several purposes.

You may see that yogic terminology is sanskrit and rooted in Hinduism, but that does not mean it “is” Hinduism, as in the same way computers “are not” american culture, or capitalist economy “is not” british culture, and so on…
Computers are build on a certain set of scientific principles, not on American culture. Likewise, yoga is build on certain metaphysical principles of Hinduism. Of course, any religion is free to adopt them, but that would change the nature of those other religions completely.

A christian, a muslim, a shamanist… all of them could make use of Yoga for evolving to the state of true meditation, and then go on to liberation through prayers or meditations of their systems.
It is not an integral part of their system. Someone could also play a computer game and then do their Christian, muslim prayers to save their souls. That doesn’t change anything in the nature of computer games. Of course, anyone can engage in the practice of yoga, but that doesn’t change the fact that yoga is grounded in Hindu thought.

[QUOTE=Sarvamaṅgalamaṅgalā;62692]Computers are build on a certain set of scientific principles, not on American culture. Likewise, yoga is build on certain metaphysical principles of Hinduism. Of course, any religion is free to adopt them, but that would change the nature of those other religions completely.

It is not an integral part of their system. Someone could also play a computer game and then do their Christian, muslim prayers to save their souls. That doesn’t change anything in the nature of computer games. Of course, anyone can engage in the practice of yoga, but that doesn’t change the fact that yoga is grounded in Hindu thought.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you forget that religions have an exoteric and an esoteric face.
Exoteric for believers, esoteric for seekers.

What you say might be true for the former, who cling to dogmas and shut many doors, but no for the later, who remain open and use anything may help them to evolve.

In fact, aren’t there tantric muslim fakirs there in India?

[QUOTE=Sahasrara;62679]“unhampered by doubt”- this where the problem starts and the western world customizes yoga for their need and do not mostly and undoubtedly believe in “The only goal of yoga”. Here the yoga is mostly coated with “Charvaka” flavor and so celibacy is a myth for this part of world and so people get physical pains even if they think of practicing celibacy.[/QUOTE]

Hey, after one month of abstinence it really hurts down there…

[QUOTE=ray_killeen;62691]The only yogic flavors I?m aware of are Jnana, Bhakti, Karma & Raja Yoga.[/QUOTE]

Again, I am also aware of only these and I believe only in these. However, the Yoga normally understood and taught in many institutes here in western culture/US are taken out context and named as “Hot Yoga”, “Vikram Yoga”, “Yoga Networking” on a cruise, “Yoga for socializing”, “Community Yoga”, etc… for mere physical exercise, wellness and socializing. Nothing wrong or right about it. Because, yoga as a technology/technique applied for different purpose.

This is what I understand as Yoga flavorized with “Charvaka” philosophy.

[QUOTE=ray_killeen;62687]How can my comment be out of context? Sahasrara was misleading readers that Hinduism is part of yoga, when in fact yoga is part of Hinduism.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think I mentioned Hinduism is a part of yoga. Can you read once more and see :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=panoramix;62693]Perhaps you forget that religions have an exoteric and an esoteric face.
Exoteric for believers, esoteric for seekers.

What you say might be true for the former, who cling to dogmas and shut many doors, but no for the later, who remain open and use anything may help them to evolve.[/quote]
No, that distinction is not going to change matters. Both the metaphysics and the practice of yoga are grounded in Hinduism.

What you say might be true for the former, who cling to dogmas and shut many doors, but no for the later, who remain open and use anything may help them to evolve.
They may call themselves muslim, but they are not accepted by Islam. Like I said before, they have changed the nature of their religion so drastically by adopting Hindu metaphysics and practices that it cannot be recognised as Islam anymore.

God is neither hindu nor muslim. God is beyond religion.
So, in the end, what matters all that?

We will have to drop our tenets, our conceptions, our beliefs, even our individual self if we want to achieve liberation.

Do you agree?