Yoga and Sex vs Celibacy

[QUOTE=Sahasrara;62698]Again, I am also aware of only these and I believe only in these. However, the Yoga normally understood and taught in many institutes here in western culture/US are taken out context and named as “Hot Yoga”, “Vikram Yoga”, “Yoga Networking” on a cruise, “Yoga for socializing”, “Community Yoga”, etc… for mere physical exercise, wellness and socializing. Nothing wrong or right about it. Because, yoga as a technology/technique applied for different purpose.

This is what I understand as Yoga flavorized with “Charvaka” philosophy.[/QUOTE]Don’t be surprised, I heard from a friend that he talked to some fool who called himself a Buddhist objectivist. As long as it makes people feel good about themselves, they don’t care about the compatibility of the things they are trying to combine.

[QUOTE=Sahasrara;62698]Again, I am also aware of only these and I believe only in these. However, the Yoga normally understood and taught in many institutes here in western culture/US are taken out context and named as “Hot Yoga”, “Vikram Yoga”, “Yoga Networking” on a cruise, “Yoga for socializing”, “Community Yoga”, etc… for mere physical exercise, wellness and socializing. [B]Nothing wrong or right about it.[/B] Because, yoga as a technology/technique applied for different purpose.

This is what I understand as Yoga flavorized with “Charvaka” philosophy.[/QUOTE]

There are [B]many things wrong with it and few things right about it[/B]; misleading and wasting ones time since body and mind investments are limited to this world where as spiritual investment is unlimited and infinite. FYI, we are off topic so I may not continue this exchange. I don?t associate myself with Cārvāka.

[QUOTE=Sarvamaṅgalamaṅgalā;62701]No, that distinction is not going to change matters. Both the metaphysics and the practice of yoga are grounded in Hinduism.

They may call themselves muslim, but they are not accepted by Islam. Like I said before, they have changed the nature of their religion so drastically by adopting Hindu metaphysics and practices that it cannot be recognised as Islam anymore.[/QUOTE]

Is buddhist Yoga hindu?

Buddhism has emerged out of Hinduism and in many ways it shares the same metaphysics of the vedas, sankhya and also tantra in later Buddhism.

[QUOTE=Sarvamaṅgalamaṅgalā;62706]Buddhism has emerged out of Hinduism and in many ways it shares the same metaphysics of the vedas, sankhya and also tantra in later Buddhism.[/QUOTE]

But if you had to choose and answer what would you give?
Is buddhist Yoga hindu or buddhist? :smiley:

Since Buddhists have adopted the majority of their metaphysics and practices from Hinduism, I would say that yes many of the Buddhist practices, including what is called “Buddhist yoga” are Hindu or modifications of Hinduism. Just as Jainism and Sikkhism (a branch of vaishnavism) they fall under the banner of Bharata Dharma.

The Scales, the ONE goal of yoga is [U]liberation from samsara[/U].

Hands of Eye and other guys, I’ve opened a new thread to discuss women in yoga and the clothes they wear, or don’t wear here;

http://www.yogaforums.com/forums/f16/women-and-yoga-8373.html#post62713

[QUOTE=GORI YOGINI;62714]The Scales, the ONE goal of yoga is [U]liberation from samsara[/U].

Hands of Eye and other guys, I’ve opened a new thread to discuss women in yoga and the clothes they wear, or don’t wear here;

http://www.yogaforums.com/forums/f16/women-and-yoga-8373.html#post62713[/QUOTE]

wut does liberation mean?

[QUOTE=panoramix;62702][B]God is neither hindu nor muslim. God is beyond religion.
So, in the end, what matters all that?

Do you agree?[/B][/QUOTE]

Which god are your talking about?

Scales:

wut does liberation mean?

Freedom from samsara. Ending the cycle of samsara. That is mukti, moksha or liberation.

Where are your shirtless pics?

:wink:

[QUOTE=GORI YOGINI;62736]Scales:

Freedom from samsara. Ending the cycle of samsara. That is mukti, moksha or liberation.

Where are your shirtless pics?

;)[/QUOTE]

Yes but what does that mean?

No pics of me. I have reasons

[QUOTE=Sahasrara;62686]Anent,

Can you comment on this? This will augument your previous reply too to reason out why do people flavorize yoga in this part of the world. Since, i am a staunch hindu, I have no problem in taking this science, but you need to get into the mind of a so called yogi from western part of the world also.[/QUOTE]

Dear Friend:

With God Realisation being the goal of all religions, they differ only in their modes of worship and the codes of conduct.

Hinduism is one religion which itself has a vast variety of modes of worship, the original modes being closely linked with the inner aspect of God.

The many modes of worship in Hinduism could be seen to fall under the category of [I]Tantra[/I].

Yoga too originates from Tantra, with one of my known references going into the [I][B]Kularnava Tantra[/B][/I], which expounds that all Creation which is a process of Involution of Prana, is supported on and driven by a Residual Power, the direction of which when reversed (i.e. evoluted), comes to be known as [I][B]Kundalini.[/B][/I]

This is the Universal Divine Power, within all Creation, which deserves to be worshiped. There are many ways that will make the Residual Power change Her direction and thus become the awakened [I][B]Kundalini.[/B][/I] Kularnava Tantra states She can also be aroused by the grace of Guru.

Once aroused and allowed to function independently of the ego and mind, various internal unions of all the dualities start precipitating through autonomous (divinely directed) yoga kriyas.

Thus the aspirant is set up on the path of [B]realising the [I]atman[/I][/B], the goal that is unique to Hinduism.

regards, anand

Regarding the “flavorizing” of yoga - the first to do that was Indians themselves.

“Laughing Yoga”???

[QUOTE=GORI YOGINI;62754]Regarding the “flavorizing” of yoga - the first to do that was Indians themselves.

“Laughing Yoga”???[/QUOTE]

This is probably an outcome of “Bharat” becoming “India”.

anand

[QUOTE=The Scales;62690]Still too much fluff.

Whittle it down to [B]“accepting them.”[/B]

Manipura chakra emanates from the spinal column near the level of the navel. So it is dorsal or ‘west’ in respects to the body.

It is not the so called sublte “sun.”

Although there are subtle centers ‘above the palate’ “above the palate” doesn’t say quite where the ‘moon’ is now does it? Pretty vague if you ask me.[/QUOTE]

Dear Friend:

“Accepting them” is great whittling down (of the ego too).

Thanks, anand

p.s.
The internal locations of sun and moon are given [I]Yoga Shikha Upanishad.[/I] I am not calling the particular chakra as sun or moon. Pl pardon me if my words conveyed that sense.

[QUOTE=Sarvamaṅgalamaṅgalā;62711]Since Buddhists have adopted the majority of their metaphysics and practices from Hinduism, I would say that yes many of the Buddhist practices, including what is called “Buddhist yoga” are Hindu or modifications of Hinduism. Just as Jainism and Sikkhism (a branch of vaishnavism) they fall under the banner of Bharata Dharma.[/QUOTE]

Thank you Sarvamaṅgalamaṅgalā.

[QUOTE=The Scales;62728]Which god are your talking about?[/QUOTE]

Brahman, Tao, Yahv?, Manitu, Allah, Spirit, Ahura Mazda, Universal Consciousness, Atman, Aton…

interesting…in Swatmarama’s HYP he says that as long as you do not lose semen- you good to go for the enlightenment path… there are lot of techniques and exercises to draw the semen back after ejacuation …
Swatmarama’s version is to retain semen for sake of physiology… energy preservation… not as much about the thoughts of lust…

[QUOTE=GORI YOGINI;62754]Regarding the “flavorizing” of yoga - the first to do that was Indians themselves.

“Laughing Yoga”???[/QUOTE]

Indians are fast catching up and surpassing the rest of the world in encashing the ancient sciences, before others could patent, repackage and sell them back from a virtual box. :slight_smile:

This is Kaiyug and it all goes by “Survival of the fittest”.

Getting back to the topic, in other words:

“To be or not to be celibate” depends on what one perceives as Yoga in this modern world, from which part of the world, and with what upbringing and beliefs.

The other day, I saw an online ad flashing about “Yoga Dating” on cruise. Where is yoga, where is celibacy and what is that to do with dating? Can you talk about celibacy in that cruise? You will be thrown out in the high waters!

I am sure there are lot of ardent Yoga practitioners in this forum may not believe “Celibacy is a compliment to yoga Sadhana in the initial stage and a means for the advanced stage.”

Those who believe also may find that celibacy is very difficult to really practice while leading a normal GAGA life :slight_smile:

There are many who uses Yoga as a conduit to seek out for healthy minded opposite sex.

A vast majority uses yoga as a profession to earn well and pay their bills.

[B]However, there is no right or wrong to be debated upon, because these are mostly empirical. [/B]

“If you want, it you preserve it. If you can afford it, let it flow.”

Lot to write, but I do not intend to bore you all! Sorry for the long reply.

[QUOTE=Sahasrara;62689]Does this mean practicing yoga without celibacy can/may even produce diseases?[/QUOTE]

Even an expert swimmer, is rewarded with drowning, if he/ she foolishly challenges to swim with a huge boulder tied to the chest.

Even if the extremely difficult Hatha Yoga practices such as Vajaroli are mastered, what about stabilising/ stilling the mind stuff (chitta vrittis)?

Going against this yoga rule would constitute [I][B]pradnya aparadha[/B][/I], violation of wisdom, with consequences in proportion to the violation.

Manu Smruti gives us guidelines on how much “un-celibate” a householder can be permitted to be, without it constituting such a violation.

regards, anand