Yoga as a Natural Treatment for Cancer

Does anybody know someone who has had cancer and decided to go with natural treatments instead of chemo? Any natural treatments including yoga.

I’m going through training “yoga for breast cancer survivals”. Clinical research showed that yoga works. I do not know about chancer treatment though…

Depending on the diagnosis and prognosis, some patients will be advised toward chemotherapy or radiation, or some combination of both as part of their treatment. I am unaware of anyone forgoing recommended treatment of radiation and/or chemotherapy upon their initial diagnosis of cancer, meaning they approach the initial diagnosis aggressively with all recommended treatments. I am aware of some patients who have decided against [I]further[/I] radiation and chemotherapy after a cancer recurrence or a failed remission; and in these situations, initial treatments had not eradicated the cancer, and they wanted to try something else AND also did not want to continue on with similar treatments as to the ones they felt failed.

What I am most familiar with is adding Yoga and Ayurveda to a comprehensive treatment plan that is based on what the patient and oncologist have decide upon. This treatment plan is ideally based on a number of factors, including: the type and stage of cancer, the patient’s age, general health, support from friends and family, as well as the spiritual, mental and emotional well-being of the patient.

There are many ways to support the whole person within the modern medical system by partnering the wisdom and sciences of Yoga and Ayurveda. A few tools are Ayuvedic anti-nausea herbs; pranayamas which help to soothe the nervous system and keep the mind safe during the physical and mental challenges of treatment; pranayama also helps to boost and maintain the [I]prana[/I] (vital force) and the immunity of the body during intense treatments, which will allow for easier recover and more benefit gained from treatments. Another is mindful movement, either as appropriate yogasana, or just being mindful while walking, swimming or lying still. Mindfulness helps to keep the spiritual heart and the wisdom mind in felt-connection with the body. During trauma, it is quite common to become disembodied due to pain or fear–our bodies may become an uncomfortable place to be because of treatments–but gentle and consistent practices of reconnecting the mind to the body, and the spiritual heart to the experience (both the blissful and challenging) of the body, will allow for greater benefit from standard medical protocols for cancer treatments. It will also help the patient to make better choices about their care, and it will help them stay connected to and draw from their loved ones and support systems. These are just a few of the many benefits I have seen when partnering Yoga and Ayurveda with cancer treatments upon my own client’s requests to do so.

Jnani Chapman has been my teacher for Yoga Therapy for those living with and surviving cancer; she is an excellent resource and you may like to connect directly with her. There are also resources available through trained Yoga therapists, if you would like to share where you are located (approximately) we could likely offer some local resources for you as well.

I hope this is helpful, either for yourself or for the person whom you are asking on behalf of.

All the best,
Nichole

Avoiding smoking itself reduces the risk of development of cancer by great extent, Yoga and Nature Cure can help to quit smoking and alcohol in people who are addicted to it.

[QUOTE=bap;41117]Does anybody know someone who has had cancer and decided to go with natural treatments instead of chemo? Any natural treatments including yoga.[/QUOTE]

Anyways, yoga practice as well as other exercises help to recover after surgery or chemo

Yoga is palliative for such issues though there is some groundbreaking work around, specifically at the gerson institute.

I have some training and [I]seva[/I] in palliative and end-of-life care; both as a hospice volunteer and as a Being With Dyingprofessional. If I may offer some clarification to the term palliative based on this: In the United States, palliative refers to patient-based relief from pain and symptoms within the context of terminal or end-of-life care. Palliative is only considered a curative method when offered and chosen in conjunction with other potentially curative therapies, such as radiation and chemotherapy. And the secondary condition of palliative care also being curative, is when it used as part of a comprehensive and early approach of treatment.

From skimming through the website of the Gerson Institute, it looks like they do not promote their trainings or offerings as palliative, perhaps for the reasons I shared. What they do offer certainly warrants a closer look – hopefully this will be another good resource of the OP.

Thank you for posting this, Gordon; I am going to take a closer look too. Do you know people, or have Yoga students, who have incorporated Gerson therapy in their own lives? I would value your experience of the Gerson’s work in action.

Your own,
Nichole

Yes I believe clarification should be offered.

What I intended to say was this:

Yoga does not cure anything, including cancer.
Yoga offers those with cancer a way to enjoy their lives and feel better.
And thus I said yoga is palliative, in other words it provides comfort and can re4duce pain and discomfort.

Gerson is NOT palliative. They are offering a methodology they believe eliminates the cancer - though of course we all have cancer cells so the term “eliminate” is used loosely.

Thank you Nichole.

There are certainly other things around in addition to gerson but it seems to be one of the best things going at the moment.

We had a speaker yesterday. She refused chemo and went through alternative holistic treatment for a year. It did not work for her. The cancer became 5 times bigger…

As far as I understood (this is training with Mayo Clinic) that Yoga doesn not treats cancer.

But doing yoga before and after makes recovery easier and improves quality of life for cancer survivals.

Hope this helps…

I agree, yoga may help with recovery and inner peace. Please google for Rife therapy, it may help. I have Rife machine and using it for many cases. Email me if you have questions about it.

Also, check out the book of Dr Russell “Natural strategies for cancer patients”. It has a lot of good suggestion and hints but still mostly states alternatives as a supplement.

Interestingly, Mayo Clinic recommends yoga against the stress suffered by cancer patients:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/yoga/CM00004

CHAGA is a mushroom (actually fungus) growing on the birch trees in extremely low temperatures in Siberia. It prevents and helps a lot in healing cancer by:
—repairing DNA
—stopping tumor growth
—increasing immunity

It has been used for centuries by the Russians and Chinese. In the West, was unknown until 1968, when Solzhenitsyn published his novel “Cancer Ward.” In this novel, he describes how a patient was cured of cancer by drinking CHAGA tea. As Solzhenitsyn himself was cured by terminal cancer, it is believed that Cancer Ward is a semi-autobiography:

Here you have a video about CHAGA. A medical doctor lectures here other medical doctors:

http://www.chagainternational.com/ProductVideo1.aspx

It is incredible how many health benefits has CHAGA. Among others, it is the srongest antioxidant-by a wide margin

It is probably the BEST SUPPLEMENT ever.

My wife was diagnosed w/ breast cancer 13 years ago at age 30. She refused the recommended radiation, chemo and double mastectomy in lieu of Ayureveda and TCM. She did yoga twice a day… with sun up and sun down. Loads of herbal medecine, accupuncture and a vegan diet. She is now 13 years cancer free and actually waaaaay healthier than before the diagnoses. Just one true story that may or may not apply to any other human.

[QUOTE=Mtnyoga;74848]My wife was diagnosed w/ breast cancer 13 years ago at age 30. She refused the recommended radiation, chemo and double mastectomy in lieu of Ayureveda and TCM. She did yoga twice a day… with sun up and sun down. Loads of herbal medecine, accupuncture and a vegan diet. She is now 13 years cancer free and actually waaaaay healthier than before the diagnoses. Just one true story that may or may not apply to any other human.[/QUOTE]

I know such cases too. The last case I learned about, a few days ago, was an
old guy who went through chemotherapy, with all its side effects. After a while, the doctors said they could not help him any more and he has to die.

Well, he refused to die and went to a TCM doctor, who cured him with herbs and acupuncture. He has been OK now for quite a while.

If you search for blogs of cancer survivors, you will probably find cases like this.

Here you have a blog for CHAGA users:

You can see how really useful CHAGA is. You can also see what companies sell better CHAGA:

chagatrade.ru

hanoju.com

The best CHAGA is Wildcrafted Siberian

Yoga can assist individuals with cancer growth both mentally and physically. While it can't battle cancer growth itself, yoga might facilitate a few symptoms of the illness and its medicines.

A few investigations have discovered that yoga may: Ease disease-related exhaustion.
I have found one Yoga Institute that arranges workshops for cancer patients-Kaivalyadhama

Several studies have demonstrated that yoga can combat fatigue and improve strength and range of motion for patients undergoing cancer treatment.

Yoga is a great way to manage the symptoms of cancer. But it's not a cure.

Yoga can help you cope with the physical and emotional challenges of cancer. It can also help you find peace of mind, which can make all the difference in your recovery process.

There are many ways to practice yoga, but some poses are better for certain types of cancer than others. Here's what to look for when choosing an asana:

Breath: The best poses for managing cancer symptoms include those that increase oxygen levels in your lungs and lower anxiety levels.

Poses that work on both ends of your body: If you have limited mobility or are recovering from surgery or radiation therapy, choose poses that stretch and strengthen your muscles in different areas — such as headstands and Chair pose (Sirsasana). These poses will balance out the effects of stress on your body.

Poses that open up your hips: If you have had surgery or radiation therapy, avoid twisting motions like Downward-Facing Dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana) and Triangle Pose (Trikonasana), which can put added pressure on injured areas of your body. Instead, try Twisting Tabletop Pose