Yoga Book Club: Discussion of "The Heart of Yoga"

Picking up your book this week thanks
Om shanti

[QUOTE=David;29257]I can definitely agree that the world we live in is different and that,“The world is here to set us free” but a single, truly great master would likely help the student along their journey with personalized, quality advice. I fear that much of the advice students get these days from a myriad of sources is lacking and therefore creates a rather curved path with many more potential setbacks.[/QUOTE]

Desikachar in the Q and A section does stress a personalized approach. From day to day even the same person has different needs. I have heard from teachers of different traditions that a) the path is not necessarily linear and b) make all obstacles part of the path. For that reason I am giving classicly influenced Desikachar a try. The obstacle has been my impatient mind, dealing with desire for asana practice while rejecting the Yoga Sutras.

One book at a time for me Suhas Tambe!

YG

Blessings,

I am lovin? this thread and I am loving life! You know you are flowing when you hit every green light in a city and you know you are on the right path when things start to sync up with your studies and practices: synchronicity I belief Mr. Jung called it. Last week and this week I am blogging my notes and thoughts on this very book. Being that there is way too much good stuff in this book ? I will focus on the most recent insight and practice I have gained from it.

Before I get into that I wanted to express my opinion on something: teacher ? no teacher ? we do what we can. At some point in time someone, somewhere, had to find the way without a teacher. Even a bad teacher has something to share. Even a good one can screw us up. Does it help to have someone that has treaded the Path to show us the way: yes! Some find they can adopt a teacher?s path and transform themselves through it. Others, myself included, find that great teachers, while few and far between, have something to share that helps shine light on my own path, which helps me overcome obstacles, work with practices that deepen my experiences, and otherwise, give me faith that theirs and similar practices do lead somewhere nice: openness, insight, compassion, wisdom, patience, et cetera.

Desikachar?s father and teacher, Krishnamachary, is totally the most awesome yogi of our day ? I personally have his image on my desktop with other great teachers that help me along. While Desikachar might or might not be as insightful and wise as his father, as Desikachar?s son obviously is not, what he does have to share resonates with me on many levels. For in truth, once we have seriously begun our journey, wisdom, no matter the source ? is always helpful.

Having given my glowing reviews of the book, here is the insight I wish to share:

On page 67 Desikachar discusses the use of mantras as a way to train the breath. For the last year or so I have worked with Japa, doing anywhere from 108 ? 324 a day. In all that time I have focused on the sound, meaning, imagery, feeling/sensation, energetic effect, healing, opening, et cetera. Never once did I realize its usefulness as extending and harmonizing my breathing. As soon as I read this insight my attention was brought to the breath and it has definitely increased and deepened my practice.

This is the stuff I love about reading. Ideally, while many write to make money, there is also some honesty and truth that the writer wishes to share. I write ? if I were to only write one book ? it would still be filled with as much wisdom and insight as my little brain could muster. A good writer/teacher, and I believe Desikachar to be one of them, does not seek to convert the masses and vampiristically suck out every dollar possible, rather, they share their wisdom no matter if it is good or bad and then leave it to others to use as they see fit. The fact that Desikachar shares his father?s belief that every path is unique bears this truth out.

That is my two cents worth. For those who wish to read more of what I think about his work, what quotes I found useful, and what thoughts arose from reading his book ? check out my blog. Enjoy.

Blessings Be?

Thank you Suba for your enthusiasm for the unconventional, nonconformist way of looking at things! I envy you for the ease that you can ‘surf’ spiritual teachings. Just yesterday I finally learned good relaxed Savasana that I have been missing for years. Sitting upright on a block and doing a sweet and honest aaahhoohhmmm.

Letting go of following the prescribed rules . . .:rolleyes:

YG