Yoga Book Club: Discussion of "The Heart of Yoga"

This thread is dedicated to the discussion of the book, The Heart of Yoga by T.K.V Desikachar.

On page XVI at the top it is said that:

Krishnamacharya spent more than seven years with his teacher…
From what I understand, this is how yoga was traditionally passed from teacher to student. Whereas today, we spend 90 minutes or so with our teachers a few times a week with their attention spread over an often large class of students. Is it even possible for yoga to be shared in such short time spans? Are we missing something and not even realizing it?

My yoga practiced happens to be primarily that of Vinyasa flow, because that happened to be what I stumbled across when first getting into yoga. This seems to have been fortuitous as Desikachar recommends starting out with a dynamic practice so as to “get used to the position gently and gradually.” p29

But on p39 he emphasizes the importance of rest. “(I)f we need a rest, we take one.” This is opposed to many Vinyasa flow instructors who, while occasionally saying to, “only do what you can do”, still tend to run their classes as though in an aerobics studio.

I understand that there is a time and place for everything, and pushing your limits on occasion does have benefits, but at 51 years of age, I also understand that, if you want a “yoga for life” practice, or any physical activity to last a lifetime, the gentle approach is the way to go.

The place I do Yoga, they offer one on one. The group is small, about 8.

I liked the statement, pg 11, 3rd paragraph, discussion on the four branches of Avidya, ( I am learning so many new words.) “we have a tendency to compare ourselves with others.” Everyone works at their own ability. If we can’t bend as far as the person next to us, so what. We do what we can and may improve over time. I am 57 and just started Yoga a few weeks ago. It isn’t just excersise for me, but somewhat spiritual. Everyone can get out of it something different. These first chapters have made me realize that this is not a competition, but I want to learn to do it correctly even if I’m not all that agile. And this is acceptable for me and my group.
There is so much to the practice of Yaga and I can’t absorb it all. I do want to keep in mind the four branches of Avidya, even though the author says, pg 11, last paragraph,
" We notice Avidya more by its absence than its prescence."
This is all so interesting.

[QUOTE=David;29098]On page XVI at the top it is said that:
From what I understand, this is how yoga was traditionally passed from teacher to student. Whereas today, we spend 90 minutes or so with our teachers a few times a week with their attention spread over an often large class of students. Is it even possible for yoga to be shared in such short time spans? Are we missing something and not even realizing it?[/QUOTE]

He answers that quite nicely on page XXV, I think:

“I think that we do not necessarily have to live with a teacher nowadays. We should rather work in our own environment and then meet our teacher from time to time in order to find a point of reference.”

We live in a different world. For example, we are now communicating with each other in a way never before imagined. Which is not to say that any of us knows individually what a “guru” of old may have known. But collectively we have may have experience and knowledge that no one person of old could have had. And it is always advisable to beware the guru, be they yogi, priest or pope, or anyone else who proclaims themselves “The Leader.”

Good point. This forum is a great example of increasing knowledge.

Yes, I “caught” that message. I don’t know if I would feel comfortable just stopping in the middle of it to rest. I suppose if I was truly uncomfortable, I would do it to a lesser degree. My instructer is quite in tune with what her students need and can do and it is a small class. I agree with the gentle approach.

On page xxvvii Desikachar discusses what a guru is and isn’t. To paraphrase, a guru is not someone you follow around, but someone who shows you the way, and then you go your way. He states that, “The yoga concept of svadharma means ‘your own dharma’ or ‘your own way.’ If you try to do somebody else’s dharma, trouble happens. The guru helps you find your own dharma.”

We as humans seem to have a strong need for someone to tell us what to do. And I’m not saying we should “know it all”, but doesn’t it seem that groupthink is one of the main causes of turmoil in the world?

Hi everyone, this is a great thread.

In relation to the point about not spending time with a guru and the limited time we spend wit yoga teachers. I think its true that the world is different, and I also know that spending time at an ashram really does give you a much much better idea of what yoga and the tradition is about. And learning to teach yoga in an ashram enhances this even more.

In relation to Daves last point, absolutly agree, and time in an ashram does help, but as as been said before in this thread; walking our own path and using teachers and books and other forms of communication (like this forum) is an excellent way to walk our own path.

My yoga journey has evolved so much, with twists and turns, but I am deepening my undertsanding and more clearly understanding my path.

Its been great going over the points this book makes.

I can definitely agree that the world we live in is different and that,“The world is here to set us free” but a single, truly great master would likely help the student along their journey with personalized, quality advice. I fear that much of the advice students get these days from a myriad of sources is lacking and therefore creates a rather curved path with many more potential setbacks.

I certainly can’t disagree with David that, “a single, truly great master would likely help the student”, but the difficult question is determining who is a truly great master. It is easy to be fooled by charisma. Another danger is that we are naturally drawn to those we inherently agree with, and may not be learning as much as we are reinforcing our current beliefs. I like to do flow yoga so was delighted to see that Desikachar recommends flow. Now that alone is not reason for me to reject his teachings, but I must try to keep in mind that there is more than one path, and that I should spend time walking those as well. (Took a two hour Yin Yoga class yesterday. Won’t get into it here but very nice.)

I believe that elsewhere on these forums InnerAthlete said something like, “Beware the man of one book.”

I certainly can’t disagree with David that, “a single, truly great master would likely help the student”, but the difficult question is determining who is a truly great master. It is easy to be fooled by charisma. Another danger is that we are naturally drawn to those we inherently agree with, and may not be learning as much as we are reinforcing our current beliefs. I like to do flow yoga so was delighted to see that Desikachar recommends flow. Now that alone is not reason for me to reject his teachings, but I must try to keep in mind that there is more than one path, and that I should spend time walking those as well. (Took a two hour Yin Yoga class yesterday. Won’t get into it here but very nice.)

I believe that else where on these forums InnerAthlete said something like, “Beware the man of one book.”

It was good for me to read about that. Too often I think “Rest? But I’ve hardly done anything yet!” I question my body in disbelief rather than listening to it.

The more I do yoga, the more I notice that each practice is completely different for the last, and during a session I often get a heads-up if something’s not quite right. If there’s a cold coming on or that time of the month, asana is where I get the warning messages first. Equally, if I’m anxious about something, it’s during my asana practice that I’ll properly acknowledge it.

[QUOTE=David;29098]On page XVI at the top it is said that:
Whereas today, we spend 90 minutes or so with our teachers a few times a week with their attention spread over an often large class of students. Is it even possible for yoga to be shared in such short time spans? [/QUOTE]
But most of dedicated students are reading books, forums, watching videos after class… practicing in everyday City Life… which is more challenging than sitting in ashram and practice…

I don’t know about anyone else but I seem to spend a month learning from a teacher or book, then feeling that I need to go my own way for a month, then losing confidence and going back to teacher or book, or a new book, and the cycle repeats. I learn a lot but it’s hardly consistent.

Torn between needing somebody to tell me what to do and trusting in my own intuition.

Hi lakurumau,

I think it’s what alot of us do, it’s like we need a meal of yoga/learning, and then we go assimilate it, and then we are ready for some more :slight_smile:

I guess the difference would be if you could regularly have imput from teacher even if you fon’t feel its useful you will be absorbing more steadily. But if that way works for you there is nothing wrong with it.

Do you have a personal yoga practice?
and is it regular?

I’ve removed the dedicated yoga book club forum but consolidated the discussion of The Heart of Yoga into this one thread. My hope is we can get it going again, but just in this thread for now until the club gets a bit more active THEN we can expand if need be :slight_smile:

I have been practicing yoga at home for more than a decade and the only teaching in which I have been engaged is Buddhist. From various sources, learning awareness in the present moment. I have only just begun reading TKV Desikachar and am wondering if there are good reasons why I should give Vedanta a fair shake?

I am a modernist as defined by the article on this site: ‘of Modernism, Mantras and Mudras’. What makes [U]The Heart of Yoga [/U] suitable for me? Does it bring an ancient lineage to life for our modern sensibilities?
Should it be read just to pay a little respect to those who have brought the tradition down through the ages?
Could it be a wake up call to those lack committment? Yes, it is true ‘beware the man of one book’ but I, like many others, find that some strength of resolve can go a long way.:cool:

YG

Though I would rather have readers to speak about my book, this is an exception this once.

Yogini Grace, if you do not want to be ‘a person of one book’, before espousing any particular style of yoga if you want to understand some of the basics of yoga, if you do not want to get entangled in glossy esoteric stuff or remain lopsided in asanas & meditation, if you want to know the ancient yoga in today’s idiom and if you haven’t yet read some good books on yoga sutra, please try my book. And let me know. Thanks.