Yoga Book Club?

Is there any interest in a yogaforums.com book club? The general idea would to pick a book as a group, read it (duh :slight_smile: ) and discuss it as we go along.

I realize times are a little tough for some, so I’d allot some funds to purchase a few books for those who want to take part but can’t quite make it happen on their own.

Any interest in a book club? I personally think it would be great to read a book and get the differing perspectives from the great people of this forum.

Sure. Especially depending on what the book is.

Sounds good to me. My New Years resolution was to read more books!

Hi David,

Seeing that so many people do ask about which book is the best etc here on the forum I think it can work. What I would like to suggest is that perhaps we can add a section where participants can give the book a general star rating as well after discussion and reading it. Looking forward in participating as I love reading.

me me me!

I would like a book club too!

David - I run a few book clubs at work (I manage a bookstore), so pm me if I can offer any help - discounted books, suggestions, etc…

This sounds really interesting.

Would people be open to reading something like the (abridged) Yoga Vasistha? Or books from the complete works of Swami Vivekananda? These are the types of texts that I would greatly appreciate discussion and insights from others.

Om shanti,
Jess

This is a great idea! Count me in.

would be nice! great idea!

Fantastic idea. I’m in :slight_smile:

[quote=Jessica Joy;15739]This sounds really interesting.

Would people be open to reading something like the (abridged) Yoga Vasistha? Or books from the complete works of Swami Vivekananda? These are the types of texts that I would greatly appreciate discussion and insights from others.

Om shanti,
Jess[/quote]

Count me in!!! I would LOVE to have someone to discuss BOTH of these topics with!

Namaste all,

How lovely that the book club idea is waking up again!

Pandara, is it still possible to set up a separate section for svadhyaya - study of classic yoga texts?

I’m really keen on starting with at least a couple sections of Yoga Vasistha, since this book is so highly regarded by Mukunda.

Wendy (& anyone else) - what’s a good structure for a book club?

Om shanti,
Prema Jess

this is a great discussion – please keep up the energy, choose a book and someone to start the discussion. As a first effort, I suggest we use our links (and I’m happy to help the pilot endeavor) to set up one thread for the book and reading schedule, and then link from there to threads on specific discussions. (that’ll give us mods plenty of time to see if something more structured is in our reach, and if it looks like it’d be really helpful.)

David, i like your thoughts. It’s a great idea and I will also go for Yoga book club.

Depending on the book, count this newbie in as well!

Alrighty, we’re going to be moving forward with this soon! Start thinking about what sort of book you would like to read first. We’ll have people suggest a book and then we’ll vote for which we want to read first.

I’ll be creating a new subforum for all of this in the next few days, so no need to make suggestions yet. I’ll let you know when and point you in the direction :slight_smile:

The Yoga Book Club is live. WOO!

Please do a finger stand and click here.

Nice form, keep breathing. Stay on your keyboard.

This is exciting!! … I wish I had a book suggestion! … <----very new to yoga.

great idea!

Due to inactivity, I’ve removed the yoga book club forum for now. However, the book club lives on! I’ve consolidated the discussion of, The Heart of Yoga into this thread. If/when the club picks up speed, we can always expand into a dedicated forum at that point. :slight_smile:

I posted link to the free yoga books on the book club forum… any way I can recover that link?