Yoga Books

Hi all,

I posted my first thread to the group a little while ago asking for Yoga teachers. While I continue looking for one, I would like to also, in parallel, read [B]in depth[/B] about Yoga. What books/resources do people recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Andy

–Edits–

OK, so maybe I missed posting some the context before asking this question (as in, what is it that I am looking to find out). So here goes.

I would like to learn about the theory/history, origins, types of Yoga, physical/spiritual aspects of Yoga and how they differ among the different styles …

Hi ya,

I can recomend lots of books

Just a lovely read: [B]Bringing Yoga to Life[/B] (Donna Farhi)

Theory/Spiritual (Nice over view book): [B]The Spiritual Teachings of Yoga[/B] (Mark Forstater and Jo Manuel)

Types of Yoga etc: [B]Yoga Darshan[/B] (Swami Niranjanananda Saraswati, Biha School of Yoga)

History etc: [B]The Yoga Tradition: Its History, Literature, Philosophy and Practice[/B] by Georg Feuerstei

Philosophy: [B]Yoga Sutras of Patanjali[/B]
versions by
Sri Swami Satchidananda
TKV Desikachar
Swami Vivekanda

and also;
[B]The Upanishads: Introduced and Translated by Eknath Easwaran[/B]

Not forgetting the
[B]Bhagavad Gita[/B] (penguin)
[B]The Mahabharata[/B] (penguin)

I would say those would be a very good starting point.

Good luck.
P.S. I have a alot more books I could recomend :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=yogiwannabe;28324]… physical/spiritual aspects of Yoga and how they differ among the different styles …[/QUOTE]

Andy, if you can find a book that fulfills this bit I’ve quoted you on, then please share that title with me.

gordon

[B]Yoga Darsham[/B] is such a book that covers that broad view, and you might also want to check out [B]Sure Ways to Self Realisation[/B] (Bihar School) and possibly the superb [B]Yoga and Kriya[/B] by Bihar School

It’s worth cosidering [B]Hatha Yoga Pradipika[/B] the version I have by Bihar is excellent.

I think it might be good to start with a specific topic and slowly/gently start from there. So many books.

I started by reading a few general books on yoga, and noticing some common books that got quoted all the time, then I read those and got recomendations etc.

1 Like

There is one book I should have mentioned, we are using on the teacher training course im on. It is [B]Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha[/B].

This books covers as several key asana sequences, some of the shatkaermas (cleansing practices) and lots of other yoga practices.

There really are so many books on yoga, and yoga itself is so wide and deep people spend there whole lifetime learning what yoga is.

I recomend spending time in an Ashram when you feel ready, that is a super way to imbibe what yoga is really about.

David Coulter’s Anatomy of Hatha Yoga.

For books more like that, you may also want to check out (in addition to previously mentioned books)

[B]Yoga for Body Breath and Mind[/B] by A.G. Morgan
and
[B]Stretching Anatomy[/B] by Nelson and Kokkonen
and
[B]The Yoga Bible[/B] by Christina Brown

I think the Pawanmuktasana series 1 is an excellent starting point for physical postures, it may seem simple, but it gets results and is very effective. This practice is found the in Asana Pranayama Mudra Bhanda book I mentioned before.

Out of interest if you were to pick 3 things to look at this month, what would they be?

Just because they are by my bed
"The end of your world" by adyashanti
"sensing feeling and action" by Bonnie bainbridge cohen
"The supreme yoga, yoga vasistha -swami venkatesananda

I am waiting for my copy of the Yoga Sutras by Swami Venkatesananda, the ashram I go to recomended it. Although its not like I don’t have enough philosophy books already! lol :lol:

A friend of mind wanted to know more about Hatha Yoga because, so I wrote a very brief article on Hatha Yoga, and I think this might help with your reading, but it may also help you determine if you want to buy the Hatha Yoga Pradipika that I mentioned.

Thanks to all for responding !

I think I will start with:

Yoga Sutras of Patanjali and Heart of Yoga.

YogiBija - which Ashram do you recommend?

The Satyananda tradition are good, which means Bihar school etc. The ashram I go to is Mandala Yoga Ashram in west Wales.

The reason I think this might be good for you, putting asside the fact I love it there and its very friendly. Is that you realy do imbide yoga into who you are when your there, and this adds to your personality and uniqueness. As well as that, the Satyandana tradition covers a wide base and depth of yoga, and you will realise this if you ever go there, or read any of the Bihar books (esp. the ones I mentioned).

Yoga really doesn’t fit into a book, lol :-), an Ashram environment is an excellent place to imbibe, books good to supplement what you know or tools, and even as a way to intelectualy understand things. but to experience yoga you have to have a personal practice and spend time in an ashram. At least that has been my experience.

It’s good you have picked one theme from everything people have mentioned in this thread. Regarding the sutras, you will find more than one translation invaluable. I did write an article on this, I can share the link if you like.

If you are after a place to begin, Anne Cushman and Jerry Jones’s ‘From Here to Nirvana’ is an excellent resource.

This book gives you an overview of:

Indian philosophies and religions, including Vedanta, Yoga, Tantra, Hinduism, Jainism, Sikhism and so on.

Then, it gives summary information on about a hundred different schools, gurus, yogis, ashrams and temples in India. When compiling research for this book, the authors approached the gurus, schools etc personally for contributions and verification. So what you get is a pretty faithful representation of each school/method of teaching. The authors allow the reader to assess the information given on their own.

Helpfully, you get the run down on the differences between different styles of yoga: Ashtanga, Kundalini, Iyengar, Hatha, etc. I believe this is what you’re after.

This book offers a wonderful map of the whole Indian spiritual terrain which can often be confusing. The teachings and approaches differ dramatically from each other and this book captures and summarises the differences quickly and well. I’ve found it both helpful and interesting.

This guide is intended to be a practical tool for those bound for India on a spiritual quest. So it also gives you the run down on practicalities. How to get to X ashram, how do you apply, what the fees are, what a typical day involves. As an aside, while it was published in 1998, I’ve found it amazing that the processes and fees remain accurate in 2010.

And in case I haven’t praised it enough, it’s even got recommended readings so you can explore whatever takes you in a more in-depth manner, be it Iyengar yoga or sadhus.

Plunging into the Bhagavad Gita or The Upanishads is diving into the deep-end which can be overwhelming for most without any background. This book gives context.

Good luck
Y

Hello Yonita, this sounds like a book I must get. I will put it on my amazon wish list :slight_smile:

Sure Ways to Self Realisation might also be worth a read, to be honest im not competing here, but for the type of book mentioned by yonita, this book by Swami Satyananda Saraswati (the late), covers are range of things, like; tools of meditation, mantra,mala, psychic symbol, ishta devata, yantras and mandalas - aids to meditation the different yogic ways of meditating, and world wide culture like for example; Meditation world wide (inc. ancient world), hinduism, jainism, taoism,buddhism, southern buddhism, tibetan bud., Zen bud.,christianity, zoroastrianism, sufism, the native americans, western tantric tradition, hypnosis, autogenic therapy and transcendental meditation.

also covers moving meditation in; yoga, travel, tibetan bud.,zen, karate,dance and sport.

And some other stuff to do with nature and Samadhi.

I loved reading this book :slight_smile:

thanks for all

Hi everyone,

I am a Yogi beginner looking for a book on the history of Yoga so I can have a good background knowledge before diving into more specific books.

Any recommendation?

Many thanks,

Felipe