Yoga & Cardio excercises?

Does anyone know how to loss weight and tone up?? If we’re talking about the combination btw yoga and cadio excercises, should I do some jogging first then follow by an hour yoga practicing or another way round :confused:

I believe that jogging tightens the hamstrings while strengthening the leg muscles. While it can be a good thing to alternate workouts, jogging just before practice may be working against you.

For weight loss/ toning and lengthening the muscles as yoga results in, I suggest including some Pilates into your practice. You may also want to try Vinyasa Flow or even Hot Yoga ( a.k.a Bikram) these get you working and sweating!

Hello Annie.

Weight loss is typically accomplished by understanding then manipulating a formula which includes one’s BMR (basal metabolic rate), activity level, and the apportionment of healthy fats, proteins, and carbohydrates. Fitday is a web site that may be helpful.

Since an appropriate yoga class ends by moving the student’s central nervous system into a parasympathetic state it makes sense to do your run, jog, cardio, or weight lifting before class rather than after. Doing so after class would be quite jarring to your nerves and may result in difficulty sleeping or general agitation.

The question of whether you should or should not DO cardio or the like in the first place is up to each individual depending on their intention or purpose for doing so.

Hi,
Since January I have lost 15lbs. This was accomplished by cutting my intake of wheat products and increasing my intake of vegetables. I have also added walking for 60 minutes daily. There is no magic solution, other than cutting back on the “wrong foods” and increasing the" good foods". We all know what works for us, but without cardio exercise I personally find it would be impossible. My yoga practice has remained constant throughout which is 2 90minutes studio classes and 5 home based practices per week.
Best of luck to you.

Hi again everyone, thank heaps guys! very helpful indeed…

[QUOTE=funkyannie;17099]Does anyone know how to loss weight and tone up?? If we’re talking about the combination btw yoga and cadio excercises, should I do some jogging first then follow by an hour yoga practicing or another way round :confused:[/QUOTE]

I will not answer completely but just quote from The Science of Pranayama,
Sivananda: " Do not walk much (definitely not run much) before pranayama."

Diet is very important as well!

Yes Diet is very important, basically it pretty much boils down to calories in vs calories out.

My preference would be to do the jogging afterwards, as that will leave the body fresh to enjoy the yoga and then be fully fatigued by the jogging afterwards. But if your available time slots don’t permit it, then its not a big deal. If you are fit enough, then do some intervals during the run. And don’t forget to stretch afterwards, while your still warm.

The calorie in and out makes sense but be sure that the calories in are furthering for the body. If 2 people of a similar height and build eat the same number of calories, but one allows sugary, refined simple carby junk and the other eats whole grains, complex carbs, lots of vegetables, etc., the healthier eater will have an overall better physique than the junkfood eater.

Also, did you know that eating your complex carbs with protein slows the carb-to-fat ration down? So eat those veggies or brown rice with chicken and steak (red meat can be good, too! I have to et higher amounts as my body is not producing enough blood).

The best for this without any doubt is Bikram hot yoga. It is rigorous and will cause you to sweat a lot. But when you sweat you get rid of all that excess sodium in your diet from salt. That sodium causes you to retain lots of water weight.

If you stopped eating all foods with added salt for the next week, you would lose 10 pounds (mostlly water weight). But the sweating in hot yoga causes you to dump tons of salt.

I just found an interesting article on About.com. Here’s what it says:

Practicing any type of yoga will build strength, but some types may not raise your heart rate enough to make them the only form of exercise you need to include in your weight loss regime. It depends on the type of yoga you select and how frequently you practice it.
In order to lose weight, you must eat healthily and burn calories by doing exercise that raises your heart rate on a regular basis. Some types of yoga, such as Iyengar, in which yoga poses are held for several minutes with a resting period between each pose, will build muscles and improve your posture, but will not give you the cardiovascular workout you need to lose weight.

If you plan to make yoga your primary form of exercise, you must do a vigorous 90-minute yoga class at least three times a week. Many people also choose to combine yoga with running, walking or other aerobic exercise in order to reach their weight loss goals. (I eliminate running because my personal goal is to lengthen my hamstrings.)

What Kind of Yoga Will Help Me Lose Weight?

The type of yoga you need to do is called vinyasa or flow yoga. This style of yoga is based on the performance of a series of poses called sun salutations. Vinyasa includes many popular, athletic and sweat-drenched yoga styles. For weight loss purposes, try:

Ashtanga:
Ashtanga Yoga is a very vigorous style of practice with a few distinct advantages for those who want to lose weight. Ashtanga practitioners are among the most dedicated of yogis, and beginners are often encouraged to sign up for a series of classes, which will help with motivation. Another advantage is that once you learn the poses, Ashtanga Yoga is ideal for home practitioners.

Power Yoga:
Power Yoga is extremely popular, because it provides a very vigorous cardiovascular workout.

Hot Yoga:
Vinyasa yoga done in a hot room ups the ante by guaranteeing you’ll sweat buckets.

I’ve lost 10 pounds from doing power yoga for two weeks. It is great!

I am just repeating what I have heard/read in magazines. Do your cardio before yoga. As the cardio will increase your heartrate, by doing your yoga practice directly after you have a better chance of keeping your heart rate higher, helping you stay in the fat burning zone longer hopefully.

If you are practicing all aspects of yoga, personally this would be my ideal plan:

1. Wake up shower
  2. Shavasana
  3. Chant (Intentions)
  4. Pranayama
  5. Meditation
  6. Warm up
  7. Sun Salutation
  8. Cardio, jog, aerobics etc.
  9. Yoga sequence
  10. Yoga cool down
  11. Shavasana

I’ve done yoga both before and after cardio exercise, but my goals were not to lose weight. I would do yoga before cardio if I wanted to raise my energy level. I would do yoga afterward if I wanted to just relax. For weight loss, I don’t think it makes any difference.

For weight loss, it’s burning calories, not heart rate that counts. You can actually burn more calories by lifting weights than by running.

One word of caution, after cardio your muscles will be very warm, and you will be able to stretch farther. You have to be careful not to over stretch and hurt yourself.

I'm a huge fan of both yoga and cardio, but I've found that the two don't always get along. Mainly because my dog doesn't seem to understand that I can't do these exercises while petting her at the same time. Here are a few of my favorite work-out combinations:

Yoga + Cardio = Strength training

Strength training (or lifting weights) involves exactly what it sounds like: lifting heavy things. You've seen people doing it at the gym with little dumbbells, or maybe you've been there yourself! It's an awesome way to build muscle and strength all over your body. So why not combine it with your yoga?

In this case, you want to focus on doing some of your yoga poses in a slow and steady manner, holding them for 10-30 seconds each. This will help you build strength in those muscles, allowing you to hold the positions longer. After that, try some slow-motion cardio moves like jumping jacks or running in place—Doing them slowly will give your heart rate time to increase, while also helping you maintain control over your movements.

For best results, spend at least five minutes on each activity before switching off between them.

Incorporating cardio and strength training with yoga is a superb way to stay completely fit. Cardio will keep your heart healthy, strength training will keep your muscles and joints strong, and yoga will prevent injury in the other two areas..

visit for more

Expert recommended Dr Jambu Jain as a Top Endocrinologist in Bhopal,Best Diabetes Doctor in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh. Just because of Dr Jambu Jain patient reviews, history, ratings, satisfaction, trust, cost and their general excellence.