Yoga causing insomnia?

Hi,

I am new to the forum :slight_smile:

I was practicing yoga about 6 months ago - about 4 times a week, for about 40 minutes. I started experiencing really bad insomnia. I would just have so much energy that I couldn’t sleep and my mind would just race and not let me relax at night .

I want to get back into yoga, I am going to start off gently maybe once or twice a week. But does anyone have any suggestions about the not sleeping?

Welcome to the community. Thanks for posting. I know a lot of folks “lurk” and never really come forward, and of course yoga itself is about engaging rather than hiding, so kudos to you.

With regard to your question regarding sleep, please bear in mind yoga itself is not a cure or cause it is merely an appropriate or inappropriate support system. With that in mind, perhaps you could expand on the practice(s) you are/were doing and at what time in what method. As example … “I’m doing a power vinyasa practice consisting of a static sequence I do every time, without savasana, an hour before bedtime”

I am assuming, in framing this reply, that you are asking about an asana practice and that your attention to yama/niyama meditation, and pranayama are not keeping you up. If I’ve erred in this assumption it is important to correct me.

Awaiting your reply.

gordon

[QUOTE=InnerAthlete;86179]Welcome to the community. Thanks for posting. I know a lot of folks “lurk” and never really come forward, and of course yoga itself is about engaging rather than hiding, so kudos to you.

With regard to your question regarding sleep, please bear in mind yoga itself is not a cure or cause it is merely an appropriate or inappropriate support system. With that in mind, perhaps you could expand on the practice(s) you are/were doing and at what time in what method. As example … “I’m doing a power vinyasa practice consisting of a static sequence I do every time, without savasana, an hour before bedtime”

I am assuming, in framing this reply, that you are asking about an asana practice and that your attention to yama/niyama meditation, and pranayama are not keeping you up. If I’ve erred in this assumption it is important to correct me.

Awaiting your reply.

gordon[/QUOTE]

Hi Gordon, thanks for the reply. I was generally doing the practice in the morning, sometimes I would do it between 4 pm and 6 pm at night though. I didn’t have any problems with sleeplessness before the Yoga. I wasn’t sure if Yoga could even cause something like this. I was also doing other physical activity like walking my dog. I guess I asked this question because I wanted to know if Yoga could cause sleeplessness and why this could be?

[QUOTE=InnerAthlete;86179]

[/QUOTE]

It was a pretty general, beginners sequence. If Yoga was an inappropriate support for me, does that mean that I should stop or that I am not suited to doing Yoga?

Yoga is for every body, and everybody. There are some circumstances where “stop” might be worth investigating.

Thus far you’ve not said anything that sounded an alarm for me. Can you outline the “beginner’s sequence” and it’s origin? Are you finishing each practice with Savasana and if so for what amount of time?

[QUOTE=InnerAthlete;86194]Yoga is for every body, and everybody. There are some circumstances where “stop” might be worth investigating.

Thus far you’ve not said anything that sounded an alarm for me. Can you outline the “beginner’s sequence” and it’s origin? Are you finishing each practice with Savasana and if so for what amount of time?[/QUOTE]

Ok, thanks for your help. I have stopped for a few months and now I spleep fine. I was doing some of the Kristin McGee sequences which I know are quite fast paced but I am generally fit. Then I changed to doing some of the slower paced sequences at my gym and other beginner sequences on youtube. Sorry, I am not very good at all the language used - but it would start out with the sun salute, and go into different forward bends, side triangle, sitting down twists etc. I want to get back into it but I am worried about it interfering with my sleep again. They would end with a five - ten minute savasana.

was practicing yoga about 6 months ago - about 4 times a week, for about 40 minutes

sometimes I would do it between 4 pm and 6 pm at night though.

I don’t think your yoga practice can cause insomnia. As far as I have observed this on my students, it is because of their own lifestyle issues or habits. It all depends what kind of lifestyle you spend rest of the time. In general a person should be doing some or the other kind of physical activity at least for and hour or more to beat the lifestyle we live in.

I have stopped for a few months and now I spleep fine.

It looks like your body was finding even 40 min yoga to be too much. Here I can say that what you do rest of the time each day matters a lot.

[QUOTE=SohamYogaStudio;86208]I don’t think your yoga practice can cause insomnia. As far as I have observed this on my students, it is because of their own lifestyle issues or habits. It all depends what kind of lifestyle you spend rest of the time. In general a person should be doing some or the other kind of physical activity at least for and hour or more to beat the lifestyle we live in.

It looks like your body was finding even 40 min yoga to be too much. Here I can say that what you do rest of the time each day matters a lot.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the response, I do live a busy lifestyle and it was hard for me to fit Yoga into my day. But, now that I have stopped doing Yoga I sleep well. So, what do you recommend - that I reduce the amount of time I spend doing Yoga, to perhaps 20 minutes?

I do live a busy lifestyle and it was hard for me to fit Yoga into my day

I tell you what is happening here and root cause of your issue. If you lead very hectic and busy lifestyle and if you try to do yoga , you may end up doing yoga like a task. So doing this way even yoga becomes another addition to your existing stress (both physical and mental). As far as your body is coping with your lifestyle, you may not see any major issue with your body and mind irrespective of you do yoga or not. But one thing is sure that one day you will definitely face the consequences.

So fix here is not about doing yoga 20 min but real fix is required in changing your lifestyle pattern. You need to change your lifestyle to an extent that you are able to spend at least one hour of physical activity (yoga or non yoga whichever) daily.

This issue is there now throughout the world. I am observing this like an epidemic in the society. People are seeking outside solution but real problem lies in daily things which we are taking so casually because whole world around us are in that rate race.

There is a need to fix the root cause and then whatever you will do for your body , it will work. I wrote an article (“Vicious Circle of our Life”) on this issue after observing it on my students and in society. Please have a look at

Regards

@Yogabecs, may I ask you what kind of yoga do you do? I guess, this is very important to understand the root of your supposed yoga-insomnia relation.

[QUOTE=SohamYogaStudio;86253]I tell you what is happening here and root cause of your issue. If you lead very hectic and busy lifestyle and if you try to do yoga , you may end up doing yoga like a task. So doing this way even yoga becomes another addition to your existing stress (both physical and mental). As far as your body is coping with your lifestyle, you may not see any major issue with your body and mind irrespective of you do yoga or not. But one thing is sure that one day you will definitely face the consequences.

So fix here is not about doing yoga 20 min but real fix is required in changing your lifestyle pattern. You need to change your lifestyle to an extent that you are able to spend at least one hour of physical activity (yoga or non yoga whichever) daily. [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply, and the link to your article. There are some correspondences that I can see to my own life, but not so extreme. I already do get quite a bit of physical activity - I have a dog so I take him for about a 45 minute walk every night. So, this is something that I am doing, but yes you are right I could think about limiting the amount of stress/busyness in my lifestyle. I also work with children so it is a physical job (not sitting at a desk), but on the downside I am exposed to a lot of illness which is sometimes hard on my body.

This issue is there now throughout the world. I am observing this like an epidemic in the society. People are seeking outside solution but real problem lies in daily things which we are taking so casually because whole world around us are in that rate race.

There is a need to fix the root cause and then whatever you will do for your body , it will work. I wrote an article (“Vicious Circle of our Life”) on this issue after observing it on my students and in society.

Regards

I see what you mean, this is an epidemic in society but sometimes it is hard to escape this kind of stress with most jobs.

[QUOTE=Starter;86257]@Yogabecs, may I ask you what kind of yoga do you do? I guess, this is very important to understand the root of your supposed yoga-insomnia relation.[/QUOTE]

Mostly Hatha Yoga but some power yoga/vinyasa too which are faster paced.

I have a dog so I take him for about a 45 minute walk every night.

but on the downside I am exposed to a lot of illness which is sometimes hard on my body.

This is what I was referring to as root cause of your issue. There are many other areas to explore about your diet etc. In short solution is not present in yoga to fix this. Yoga is top up activity to have added advantage from it.

If anyone spends even 45 min walk as you said daily then it is enough to keep some one healthy, I mean it. But you said you still have lot of illness that means there are still crucial areas in your lifestyle that you need fixes as well.

As I said, your body is not able to cope stress (both mental and physical) and when you try to do yoga , it comes as another stress on you.

but sometimes it is hard to escape this kind of stress with most jobs.

yes time management is best key to reduce stress for sure. If by that, you can get good result then try it. But if you really need total solution then be ready to become odd man out in society and get rid of stress or at least minimize it.

I am saying in general (and not to you) that If we are in rat race then we have to be ready for the consequences also. And what I have observed (in my own class) that in the society, people don’t want any advice or fix in their lifestyle (which is actually a root cause) but they expect from doctor or yoga teacher that they should show some ways to fix their illness, magically.

This is the most crucial problem now a days and that is why even medical treatments are failing despite lot of inventions and advancement in the science. Even medicines rely on your body organs to be functioning to some extent to give any result.

All the best…

[QUOTE=Yogabecs;86270]Mostly Hatha Yoga but some power yoga/vinyasa too which are faster paced.[/QUOTE]

In my case, I also have experienced insomnia doing hatha yoga in yoga classes. In the same period of my life, doing asana and pranayama yoga in my room, just by myself, I slept well. Then I stopped to follow the class.

The reason for this, I think, is that hatha yoga is powerful in circulating the energy, and doing it for one hour with the “master” that pushes you to stretch more and more to your limit, was exactly what I did NOT need. I remember that I sweat a lot too, during the exercises. This, I believe was due to the internal release of heat. And, I suppose, it is a clear sign if you (or someone more expert) can read it.

Probably, as others have said, it was not the hatha yoga the reason for the sleep disorder, but rather my lifestyle. But it is also true that, if you open some hidden boxes by the yoga, the content will have various results.

I continue to do hatha yoga by myself, less intense in time and stetching, and I have not experienced any problem. The moral is: find your way!

Al the best.

@Yogabecs Hi Yogabecs, so I suffer from the exact same thing. I also have a busy life with my wife and children and my career. I have spent the better part of my adult life engaged in meditation and healing from trauma I experiemced as a child and young adult. It has been a slow but very powerful process of transformation. It wasn’t until recently that I understood a little more why I am not able to do yoga, which is a true passion of mine and not doing it for a time created a depression. I took great joy and pleasure being able to bend and flow and watch my body change and strengthen. I see a therapist who practices in many trauma modalities including somatic experiencing and he explained that yoga may be too much for my nervous system right now. Just too much energy too fast.

No, its not cause insomnia. I would like to share some benefits : Increased flexibility.
Increased muscle strength and tone.
Improved respiration, energy and vitality.
Maintaining a balanced metabolism.
Weight reduction.
Cardio and circulatory health.
Improved athletic performance.
Protection from injury. yoga classes in chandigarh