Yoga during Pregnancy post conception in first trimester

Hi all

I have been doing yoga poses at home through guided books from Iyengar yoga. Since last couple of months, we’ve been trying to conceive and I get scared during the mid of every month wondering if I’ve conceived and if certain poses are safe to continue.
I would like to know if the foll. poses are safe to do after conception(which I hope I have).
Badhakonasa, Saravangasana, Halasana, Standing poses like Trikonasasa, warrier poses, adhomukha svansana, virasana, forward bend virasana, Uttasana, Konasana.

Please let me know. Looking forward to your replies as soon as possible.

Thanks
P

PN,

Please bear in mind that I am not a medical practitioner and you should not misinterpret what I offer as medical advice. Consult your ob-gyn to determine what is correct for your pregnancy and your path.

Fear and creative force do not typically coexist very well. Try to keep your fears at bay and your mind and life calm and nurturing - not just to conceive but through to term.

Asana and pregnancy will generate many answers from many quarters. What I share comes from the perspective of Purna Yoga™, the yoga in which I practice, train, and teach. In this lineage safety comes first and we work diligently to minimize the risk while still offering students the myriad of benefits derived from the postures. So I am telling you what I believe to be safest. Others will take risk and you may do the same if you wish. And that may be perfectly fine, or not.

Pregnancy and yoga follows the trimester system. How convenient, right :slight_smile:
In the first trimester please focus on containment and avoid open pelvis poses. A very, very gentle mulha bandha is appropriate but avoid any running or jumping as well as Badha Konasana, Vira II, and Vrksasana. Do not, during the course of your pregnancy, take weight on the belly. No prone postures, therefore you may avoid forward bending in Virasana, it compresses the abdominal cavity and encroaches on the developing fetus.

I would avoid halasana throughout especially if you’re the sort who does the pose flat on the floor rather than on props. Sarvangasana is “okay” but please have someone right next to you watching so that you can come down and out of the pose in a mindful. calm, planned fashion. Uttanasana is best modified as Ardha Uttanasana with hands at the wall. That is more for comfort than a safety issue. The same is true for Adho Mukha Svanasana.

As you approach the third trimester, embrace the concept of opening. No Mulha Bandha from there until delivery please. Open pelvis poses are very lovely but you may need the support of a teacher, friend, or spouse, not to mention a prop like a bench, chair, wall, or bolster for comfort as baby by then will be a bit heavier and mommy and baby need additional nurturing.

But please…once you conceive go to a sound pre-natal class with a well trained teacher. There are so many ways an appropriate yoga practice can support you through child birth.

gordon

Hi Jordan

Thank you for your prompt reply.
Could you tell me which poses are safe and require to be done.

There are classes for this, I am aware but my work time doesnt give me the flexibility to go for it as they are available during day time or else only on weekend.

Thanks

Safe and “require to be done” for what purpose?

Hi,

Like I said, I used to do almost regular yoga since last sept…then there were breaks in between for 2 months. Since last few months, have been having pain during my cycles and because of this possibility of conceiving or not, I used to skip doing yoga…so slowly started to put on weight not much…maybe a couple of pounds and in general feeling tired. When I contacted my obygyn, learnt I have pcos. So then, I started yoga again properly since that time and noticed that I ovulated on time etc. So dont want to give it up, by fear of you know having conceived etc. So what is required means, for the general well being of me and my reproductive organs. Thanks.

A teacher.

Yoga is the best idea during pregnancy , it keep up in shape ,helps you adjust to the physical demands of labor, birth, and motherhood.

Next- Prenatal yoga

Replying a bit late to this thread but hopefully not too late for the OP.

ITA with everything InnerAthlete says in his first very thorough reply … except regarding mula bandha.

I take your point InnerAthlete about the containment aspect (in energetic terms) of a very very gentle mula bandha in the first trimester however I think this would only possibly be necessary if there had been a history of miscarriage.

Mula bandha is not indicated at all in pregnancy as it tightens the pelvic floor/birthing muscles. I have heard that many ashtangis in particular have more difficult births for this reason (not general hearsay but from one of my pregnancy yoga tutors, therefore based on some experience). And in any case stopping mula bandha (and beginning to focus on opening) in the third trimester as you suggest in your reply is not leaving much time to reverse this effect.

Also I would say that whilst trying to conceive and in the first trimester no traditional asana work should be done. Though I note that the OP feels that in her case this relieved the symptoms of her PCOS/mid cycle pain, I would recommend aiming for the most gentle of all practices during this time.

Interesting perspective which I respect and appreciate you sharing - but do not share in its entirety.

Different students, different bodies, different practices, different instruction. One “right” answer leads only to dogma.

Ashtanga practitioners have far greater things in their practice to be concerned with relative to pregnancy than mulha bandha. And for those students, of any practice, who are taught only that Mulha Bandha is a complete contraction of the pelvic floor muscles, yes I’d likely steer them otherwise.

The student has to be instructed based on the student. And that instruction, at least as far as Purna Yoga? goes, is safety first.

My teacher himself is the product of skillful asana as his mother was unable to conceive. Living within that lineage it would be counter-intuitive for me to believe that no “traditional asana work should be done”. Though this might be a semantic point as “traditional” means different things to different people. The asana practice is customized when the student is pregnant or attempting conception. So in that regard it may not be “traditional” at all.

[QUOTE=InnerAthlete;22119]Interesting perspective which I respect and appreciate you sharing - but do not share in its entirety.

Different students, different bodies, different practices, different instruction. One “right” answer leads only to dogma.

Of course my answer here was aimed at addressing primarily the OP’s questions.

Ashtanga practitioners have far greater things in their practice to be concerned with relative to pregnancy than mulha bandha. And for those students, of any practice, who are taught only that Mulha Bandha is a complete contraction of the pelvic floor muscles, yes I’d likely steer them otherwise.

The student has to be instructed based on the student. And that instruction, at least as far as Purna Yoga? goes, is safety first.

My teacher himself is the product of skillful asana as his mother was unable to conceive.

Fascinating! Can you share more details of this?

Living within that lineage it would be counter-intuitive for me to believe that no “traditional asana work should be done”. Though this might be a semantic point as “traditional” means different things to different people. The asana practice is customized when the student is pregnant or attempting conception. So in that regard it may not be “traditional” at all.

Always I speak from the perspective of experience, the greatest teacher. Teachings and opinions can certainly be dogmatic when they are ?book learned? or otherwise devoid of the benefit of that enlightenment. Pregnancy is a preparation for a life change of immense proportions and a complete shift in conciousness. Merely ?customising? your usual way of doing things, whether asana or lifestyle, is not useful preparation. If that is not understood at the outset, the spiritual work will be harder. In this I also speak from experience.
[/QUOTE]

It is so nice to have an intelligent debate. In terms of ?safety first? as an approach to pre-natal yoga I feel this shifts the focus from the positive to the negative. Neither pregnancy nor yoga are inherently dangerous. It is this pathologising of pregnancy that I see on an almost daily basis which robs women of their true shakti power.

Hi all I would like to add a few aspects to this discussion, in terms of the safty first, we must always tell our students, to listen to their body. It is known especially in ashtanga as I am a practicener that one may continue there usual practice into their pregancy. I personally would not teach that to my pre-natal students. Many students are not ones thata practice one to three hours a day and have the body memory of this type of practice. In fact I completed my YTT training during my seventh, eight, and nineth month of pregancy. HA
But really I teach from love and from the heart and I agree that bandhas of any kind should cease at the on set of conception. This triggers the lower female reproductive organs and could possibly create issues.
Pre conception should focus on opening and loving of the body, allowing the pelvic floor to be strong with pelvic work of lifting the muscles sourounding the birthing canal. Also restraint from major twists, belly down, and inversions, with the exception of down ward dog and slight forward bends, for some consider these inversions. All asana’s should be modified as pregancy progresses, since there is a change in balance and strenght. But all and all one with a background in yoga could very well have a great practice during pre and post natal work. The key is that their is no key, each person needs to protect their body and do only what they feel they should do. I have know of those who are still in full head stand in their eight month and I do think this is crazy making but , for the yogini who wants to stay healthy during this time, great stretches to maintain the integrity of the back and shoulders as well as opening of the chest and birthing canal. Mostly however is the relaxation and breath control one learns in a prenatal class. As we all know if you control your prana you are in contol.
Much love to all
Namaste’

I make no claim as an expert on yoga or one on pregnancy and therefore certainly not as one on yoga AND pregnancy.

Yoga is a tool, pregnancy is not.
Tools are not inherently dangerous. Their application may be, depending on the human being doing the wielding.

I do not find “safety first” to be negative. In fact I find it just the opposite. But again I respect the rights of others to perceive it as they see fit for their lives.

Yoga is inherently powerful. Something inherently powerful will have powerful results. While I tend not to brand experience, for the sake of this let’s call some of those results “moving toward light” and other results “moving away from light”. Ergo when teaching a student how to use a powerful tool, care must be used. When that person is caring for two rather than one, the sense of caring must be increased.

Now, if the student has been given the gift (or cultivated it over time) of self-awareness or an “inner teacher” then they may fully guide themselves without a teacher, book, dvd, et al. Trust your body is a very good direction for a student that understands the difference between being directed by their heart center and being directed by mental or vital force. A student that does not understand that would simply continue to believe that their ego was their soul.

Thank you Lotusheartyoga for your invaluble insights. Every womans experience of pregnancy and birth is different and this is also very important to recognise. “Teaching” to the individual includes not only to the individual student/mother-to-be but also to the individuality of that particular pregnancy. Each baby is a different soul with their own samskaras.

[QUOTE=lotusheartyoga;22142] As we all know if you control your prana you are in contol.[/QUOTE]

As I have mentioned on another pregnancy related thread, the idea of ?control? is an anathema to the (pro)creation process.

SURRENDER is the name of the game.

To quote Sarah J Buckley ? Surrender is not a popular virtue in the west. In fact surrender is often seen as a weakness in our culture, we are instead encouraged to be active and in control of our lives. This very yang, masculine attitude may serve in some circumstances, but we cannot birth our babies through sheer force of will. We need to learn the more subtle ? yet equally powerful ? path of surrender.?

Here is where the paths of yoga and birthing truly cross.

How was your birthing lotusheartyoga? Can you share how your practice played out in your pregnancy and birth experience?

[QUOTE=InnerAthlete;22148]Trust your body is a very good direction for a student that understands the difference between being directed by their heart center and being directed by mental or vital force. A student that does not understand that would simply continue to believe that their ego was their soul.[/QUOTE]

Quite. This I think was my point about teaching yoga in pregnancy to the inexperienced. In fact I would go further. Obviously I can only speak for my experience in the UK but it seems to me that Westerners (UK) have a very hard time even connecting with their body - they live from the neck up. So asking a student to listen to their body when they have been deaf to the messages emanating from therein for most of their lives… = :confused:

…and of course surrender is built-in to the path of yoga in the Yamas and Niyamas. Therefore any student who is practicing asana has surely already learned and continues the practice of those ten requisites.

:slight_smile:

[quote=InnerAthlete;22189]…and of course surrender is built-in to the path of yoga in the Yamas and Niyamas. Therefore any student who is practicing asana has surely already learned and continues the practice of those ten requisites.

[/quote]

I wish it was indeed, true.

Indeed, Hubert.

Observing hundreds of students over the last 12 years I would say this seems to be the hardest part of their yoga practice.

Perhaps its the overemphasis on the superficial physical aspects of yoga in the west?

Yoga can be a beneficial practice during pregnancy, including the first trimester, but it's essential to approach it with caution and make modifications to ensure safety for both you and your baby. Here are some guidelines for practicing yoga during the first trimester of pregnancy:

1. Consult with Your Healthcare Provider: Before starting or continuing a yoga practice during pregnancy, it's important to consult with your healthcare provider, especially in the first trimester when the risk of complications is higher.

2. Choose Prenatal Yoga Classes or Experienced Teachers: Opt for prenatal yoga classes or work with experienced yoga teachers who are trained in prenatal yoga. They can provide guidance on safe and appropriate practices tailored to the specific needs of pregnant women.

3. Avoid Intense or Heated Practices: During the first trimester, it's best to avoid intense or heated yoga practices, as they may increase the risk of overheating and dehydration, which can be harmful to the developing fetus. Skip hot yoga classes and avoid vigorous practices that raise your heart rate too much.

4. Focus on Gentle and Restorative Poses: Instead, focus on gentle and restorative yoga poses that support relaxation, stress relief, and overall well-being. Poses such as Cat-Cow Stretch, Child's Pose, and Supported Supta Baddha Konasana (Reclining Bound Angle Pose) can be particularly beneficial during the first trimester.

5. Avoid Deep Twists and Abdominal Compression: Avoid deep twists and poses that compress the abdomen, such as deep forward bends and intense core work. These poses can put pressure on the uterus and potentially disrupt the implantation process during the early stages of pregnancy.

6. Listen to Your Body: Pay close attention to how your body feels during yoga practice and honor any sensations or discomfort you experience. If a pose feels uncomfortable or causes strain, back off or modify the pose as needed. Remember that your body is undergoing significant changes, and it's important to listen to its signals.

7. Stay Hydrated and Take Breaks: Drink plenty of water before, during, and after your yoga practice to stay hydrated. Take breaks as needed and rest whenever you feel fatigued or lightheaded. Pregnancy can be exhausting, especially in the first trimester, so listen to your body's need for rest and relaxation.

8. Avoid Overstretching: Pregnancy hormones, such as relaxin, can make your joints more flexible, increasing the risk of overstretching and injury. Be mindful not to push yourself too hard in yoga poses and avoid deep stretching beyond your normal range of motion.

9. Practice Breathing and Relaxation Techniques: Incorporate breathing exercises (pranayama) and relaxation techniques into your yoga practice to reduce stress, calm the nervous system, and promote relaxation. Deep belly breathing and mindful breathing can be particularly helpful during pregnancy.

10. Modify Prone and Supine Poses: As your pregnancy progresses, you'll need to modify prone (belly-down) and supine (lying on the back) poses to ensure comfort and safety. Avoid lying flat on your back for extended periods after the first trimester, as it can compress major blood vessels and potentially cause dizziness or low blood pressure.

Always listen to your body and prioritize safety and comfort during yoga practice, especially during pregnancy. If you experience any unusual symptoms or discomfort, stop practicing and consult with your healthcare provider. With proper guidance and modifications, yoga can be a safe and beneficial practice to support your well-being throughout pregnancy.