Yoga & emotional control

Nameste!
Look like this is a wonderful forum, looking forward to be a part of it!

I’ve been searching internet for days, But can find stories/articles to support my thoughts. Still I believ I’m not alone in what I’m supposed to ask…

I was one of those that used to think that yoga is only stretching, and a workout form for those that didn’t like to workout. Oh boy was I wrong…
I joined a yoga class at my local CrossFit gym. I was kind of ashamed for even trying out yoga; It was so not me…

Still, after first session I had a feeling in my body I couldn’t put a finger on. A good feeling…

I brought an expensive mat (manduka pro, just so I couldn’t have a reason for dropping of lol) and I’ve been doing yoga for a few months now.

But here’s the thing;
I really love the stretch part, but as I continue to be better at breathing, finding poses & try to be focused, I get more and more stressed. Anyone felt this? At the end, in savasana, my shoulders are up under my ears, and “vibrating/spasm”.
My sweet yoga teacher always walk around and put her hands on everybody’s shoulders to help relax, and I’m just so ashamd that I can relaxed.

So, now I have no idea what to do. I’m kind of that happy girl that never cries, not even in funerals. I got a strong control of my emotions (I know very well it’s not a good thing to never let go)
But how to move forward? How to actually breath out and let go?
What if I start to cry? What will happen? Do I need to leave class? Will it look weired? What will the yoga teacher think of me? I’m so scared of my feelings that are not joy and happiness.

Anyone that have some live&yoga experience to give me a hint on how to turn this emotional control I’ve been spending 33years on building up?

Hi, it sounds like your putting yourself under a lot of pressure. I felt the same way at first but then I realised that there was a strength in recognising and giving myself a break by coming down to the mat whilst everyone else was still in a downward dog. With time, things changed.
Yoga is a journey of self exploration. It’s not about how we compare ourselves to everyone else in the room. Its about understanding and working with our self. So give yourself time and enjoy your practice. If this is a path you want then talk to your instructor about how you feel. I’m sure he/she have not even realised that you feel this way.
This is what I love about yoga.

1 Like

You only give what you have available on any particular day. There is no shame in doing only what is available. Your max is different than anyone else’s. Take joy in doing exactly what you are capable of.

I agree that you’re putting too much pressure on yourself. Begin class with no expectations, this way you’ll be less likely to be disappointed and stressed.

Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks alot for your thoughts and insight🙏🏽

I’ve been skipping yoga & mindfullness last weeks simply because I’m so afraid of loosing control over my feelings. I’ve used most of my life to learn to controle my feelings, and for example I never cry, because I buildt up “technics” to not show my feelings. So yoga scares me & dares me at same time. I know I just need to trust the journey, and start to slowly feel again, and not push away emotions that opens during yoga.

I guess it all comes down to that I’ve always felt I’m emotionally strong since I can control me feelings, but now I have the knowledge that “stong” is exactly what I’m not…
And that strong is actually to be able to feel and let emotions rush your mind & body…

Thanks helloworld1990tim

I understand that this isn’t a problem. But I am so ashamed to show me my feelings to others.
I can for shure show empathy for others, and have no problem reach out a hug or listen if anyone need to talk…

But I just won’t let anybody see me vulnerable…
Even if I know that that’s exactly what I love about others…

Hi, hey don’t be ashamed of from anybody, all are like you. We do yoga to relax our body and mind but if you feel bad by thinking of others that what they feel then the yoga shows no benefits to you. Breathe in and out is the best way to keep yourself calm in any situation.

1 Like