Yoga for depression, and depression related problems

Hello there,
I am interested in trying yoga to see if it can help me with my depression. I’ve been depressed for number of years now, and have had a number of issues linked to that: sleep problems, low energy/motivation, emotional numbness, feeling withdrawn, not being able to experience real pleasure/feeling of satisfaction from anything, low sex drive, etc. Where should I start? I really know nothing about yoga at this point. Can any one recommend a few specific DVDs perhaps that I should try? Any help appreciated. Thank you!

I would reccomend going to a studio and taking advantage of the benefits of doing something in a social setting.

Any DVD titles worth checking out though?

Kri,

The good news is that you have most likely found the cure to your depression if you are willing to commit to yoga. As opposed to just purchasing a commercialized DVD, I would highly recommend immersing yourself in a yoga embedded culture for some time. At the very least, like JSK suggested, attend a yoga studio.

Yoga is so much more than a physical practice. I think it would be best for you to find a yoga retreat and get away from technology and all surrounding outside forces that we are subjected to on a daily basis. A yoga retreat will teach you about the mental side of the practice and will give you a hands+on basis for yoga philosophy.

This will help you look inward and truly find the source of your mind’s woes.

I hope that you will take this advice seriously as I truly believe it will change your life.

Good luck and PM with any further questions :slight_smile: Keep us posted!

My little blog: (Coming Soon)
Twitter: @iTweetYoga
"With Practise, All is coming." ~ Pattabhi Jois

[QUOTE=Kri;74189]Hello there, I am interested in trying yoga to see if
it can help me with my depression. I’ve been depressed for number of
years now, and have had a number of issues linked to that: sleep
problems, low energy/motivation, emotional numbness, feeling withdrawn,
not being able to experience real pleasure/feeling of satisfaction from
anything, low sex drive, etc. Where should I start? I really know
nothing about yoga at this point. Can any one recommend a few specific
DVDs perhaps that I should try? Any help appreciated. Thank you![/QUOTE]

Just a quick reply to tell you I can almost recognize my pre-meditation
pre-yoga self when reading that.

To keep is short and sweet: a zen meditation retreat (Le Centre Durkheim
in France) allowed me to drop the ponderous baggage of my past and walk
away from it, free and light. I also shed a few pounds without changing
a single eating habit. Step one.

Then I encountered yoga at my gym where I was lifting weights (with almost
zero effect :slight_smile: That very nice young brazilian teacher at the gym got me
interested in pursuing yoga seriously.

Then I stumbled one morning into an Ashtanga2 class at a real yoga
studio. Though I struggled I immediately thought “wow, this will be my
lifelong practice”. And I canceled my gym membership. And I stopped
eating/wanting any sugar.

The change in my body and mind has been dramatic. Just my 2 cents.

Please look into Amy Weintraub’s work. I took a weekend workshop of hers last year.
http://yogafordepression.com/
If you can check out her calendar and make one of her workshops, I would highly recommend that.

Depression is caused by loss of mood and is clinically very difficult to recognize. It has serious implications such as extreme suicidal tendencies or complete social isolation.
Yoga therapy combines yogic counselling with yogic practice to effectively address growing mental health issues. Yoga promotes cleansing and restoring physical and emotional wellbeing.

Yoga techniques include asanas (body poses), pranayama (breathing techniques), and meditation to remove toxins and activate the nervous system for relieving depression.

Understand this in-depth and know how to practice yoga specifically for depression at Yoga Therapy for Depression Management

Yoga can relieve stress, lower blood pressure, and help prevent or treat heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, asthma, obesity, and depression.

Yoga's effects may stem from the mind-body connection it provides. Connecting mind and body through yoga can lower heart rate, slow breathing, and increase blood flow to the brain. Yoga also can help people be more mindful of their body; focusing on the body can help them control stress.

Yoga can also help people manage negative emotions. Yoga's techniques can help people recognize and process stressful thoughts. Yoga also allows them to focus on positive thoughts, which can give rise to positive emotions.

Yoga can help people with depression by improving their mood. Some research suggests that yoga lowers levels of neurotransmitters that are linked to depression. Studies also show that yoga can help people cope with depression by reducing its severity and duration.

Yoga can also help people with depression by helping them sleep better and improve their concentration.

Yoga's effects on depression may be especially beneficial for people with mild and moderate depression. Yoga is inexpensive, safe, and widely available. It is a good option for people with depression who wish to try complementary medicine.

Start learning yoga from experts we are at Arhanta yoga provides yoga teacher training classes online from experts at an affordable price.

Yoga therapy combines yogic counseling with yogic practice to effectively address growing mental health issues. Yoga promotes cleansing and restoring physical and emotional wellbeing. It naturally boosts positive endorphins to help cope with depression.

Yoga techniques include asanas (body poses), pranayama (breathing techniques), and meditation to remove toxins and activate the nervous system for relieving depression. Regulated breathing and focused movements provide deep relaxation to build a soothing, positive mind-body connection.
Source:https://kdham.com/workshops/yoga-therapy-for-depression-management/