Yoga for sleep problems

hello,

For about 1 year now I have problems sleeping. I don’t sleep more than 4-5 hours/night. I’m also constant afraid of everything and I feel if I wont relax a little bit my head will explode.

First I’ve been to therapist, she told me that I’m a bit depressive(well, that’s possible because I moved to Amsterdam for almost 2 years now and I don’t see the sun like never and is not very pleasant also it was difficult to get use to the language, people etc)

But I feel nothing helps me…and for about 3 months my years are ringing 24 of 24 and for a few days now I have every day a nose bleeding…
My age is 25 and I’ve start doing sport for 3 weeks now(around 2 hours/day)

So, I hope I’ve been give all the information for someone who can tell me if yoga can help me with my problems? And if is possible, witch kind of it?

Thank you in advance,

Raluca.
PS: I hope my English is good enough to understand the meaning of my problems :slight_smile:

Greetings,

I have moved your post to its own thread at the request of one of our wonderful members here so that you can get more focused replies. I wish you well!

Hi Raluca,

It doesn’t sound like your therapist was very helpful. I assume you have had a physician checked you out to make sure you don’t have any physiological disorder?

In my experience, a good therapist is essential when dealing with anxiety disorder. Barring that, if you are not getting enough sun, consider supplementing with vitamins D and B-complex (higher doses of B).

As for the yoga; this is a personal choice for you. My suggestion is to find a studio in Amsterdam that offers many different styles and try them all to find a practice that resonates with you. If you practice daily, your mood and sleep should improve. How much will depend on you.

I have some of the same issues such as not being able to sleep, ears ringing, etc. I have found that yoga with meditation seems to work well for me. I did something today that I think might also help which is hypnoses. It sounds to me that maybe it is a matter of being able to totally relax and be comfortable in your own skin in your new environment as long as there are no physical causes. Just a thought.

Hi Raluca,

I recommend a beginners Hatha class and try different forms of meditation to help you relax. If you’re not getting any sun at all, I suggest you get a blood test done to check your Vitamin D levels and take supplements if you must. Liquid vitamin D is better than tablet form. Do a complete blood test to see if you’re deficient in anything else too and then supplement what you’re lacking. Check your zinc levels too (you usually have to ask for that separately) and if you’re lacking there, I suggest upping your intake of Zinc as it aids in the function of other vitamins and enzymes and helps you heal. Oysters are high in Zinc so if you love them like I do, have half a dozen every few weeks. If you’re a vegetarian, make sure you’re getting enough B12.

For your nose bleeds, seems like your capillaries are weak or damaged. Increase your intake of dark berries, cherries, goji berries or take some billberry tablets to strengthen your vein walls. If you’re a coffee or caffeinated tea drinker, I suggest your cut them out entirely and replace them with herbal teas. If you drink green tea, cut that out too as it is caffeinated and replace it with roobois tea. Roobois tea has all the antioxidant benefits as green tea but without the caffeine. Rosehip tea (with or without hibiscus) is great for strengthening vein walls too.

Good luck and I hope you get some rest soon.

Yoga should help you.
Maybe try some shoulderstands or easy inversions before preparing to go to bed.
Also yoga nidra will help - helps me to relax at night

SRF lessons include some wonderful relaxation and rejuvenation methods. Other schools of yoga have these too.

Changing the country is stressing. SAMe will perform wonders for you:

http://biopsychiatry.com/sameart.html

I have posted before about this marvellous NATURAL supplement, in other threads.
Warning: SAMe shall be taken with vitamin B complex, to prevent formation of homocysteine. Other than that, it has no side effects.

I have tried a Chinese herb, working great. I have it, but it is all written in Chinese. When I will get its English name, I will send it to you. But you can go to a Chinese
herb store in your town; for sure they will know it.

BTW. Your name sounds very Romanian.

Ahh, herbs! Forgot to mention that chamomile tea is great for relaxing and insomina and dill does the same thing. With the dill, try this in a blender. Throw in a raw peeled zucchini (or cucumber… or both) some dill, some lemon juice, half an avocado and pinch of sea salt. Sprinkle with a dash of cayenne pepper after you serve it. Have it as a cold soup. Blend it longer to warm it up a bit if you live in a cold climate. You can also steep some dill tea before bed.

Hello everyone,

Thank you so much for all your answers.

So yes, I had a physician that check me and the only diagnostic was depression.

I will ask for blood test you recommended, but in this country if you are not almost deed the only think you get is paracetamol, so it will be quite hard to have those.

I don’t drink coffee almost never, but I do drink a lot of rooibos tea and green tea(but I will stop with green one for the moment). Chamomile is my favorite :slight_smile:

I will go to a yoga center here and I will try all of you suggestion to see which one suits me the best.

oak333: to be honest I don’t fell comfortable to the idea of addiction. I understood that this is natural but in my head is: why the doctors didn’t give me this ones in staid of diazepam? Maybe is just silly from me…
PS: my name sounds Romanian because I’m from Romania :slight_smile:

@macjb I would appreciate if you can tell me a little bit more from you hypnoses experience.

@david good idea, thanks.

thanks again to everyone :slight_smile:

There is a Chinatown in Amsterdam maybe there is a good Traditional Chinese Medical Doctor there that can help you. I know there use to be but I believe he moved to London.

Hello Raluca,

can you please outline what medications you are taking on a regular basis and in what quantity please?

gordon

[QUOTE=raluca;70302]Hello everyone,

So yes, I had a physician that check me and the only diagnostic was depression.

oak333: to be honest I don’t fell comfortable to the idea of addiction. I understood that this is natural but in my head is: why the doctors didn’t give me this ones in staid of diazepam? Maybe is just silly from me…
PS: my name sounds Romanian because I’m from Romania :slight_smile:

[/QUOTE]

If you have depression take SAMe (S adenosyl methionine). Ir works great:

It is NOT addictive, like virtually most natural supplements.

SAMe is also a precursor of GLUTHATIONE. As I posted in other threads,
virtually all degenerative diseases are accompanied by a lack of gluthatione.

The doctor did not give you SAMe for many reasons. Medical doctors do not
prescribe natural supplements. Try a naturopathic doctor.

You can order SAMe from www.biovea.com. It is a French company, delivering all over the world.

Instead the doctor gave you diazepam (valium), which IS addictive. Used for a short while, it is probably OK. Usage for a longer period can make your
head shake.

Diazepam is better used once in a while, during a night when you have real
problems.

I have found the name of the Chinese natural sleep aid: Shui De An. If
Amsterdam has a Chinatown, no problem to find it.

Are you getting enough potassium? A lack of potassium reduces your seratonin levels so a deficiency could lead to anxiety and depression. Have more bananas, mangos and paw paws. Also make it a point to laugh everyday… even if you don’t feel like it. Laughing massages your insides just like yoga does when breathing correctly, so laugh lots in between yoga classes :slight_smile:

Start pranayama yoga to control your breathing, with the goal being to decrease the number of times you breathe a minute and the amount of air you take in at each breath. This will decrease your anxiety and improve your sleep. Breathe only through your nose during the day and night and especially while exercising. Good luck.

[QUOTE=oak333;70311]If you have depression take SAMe (S adenosyl methionine). Ir works great:

It is NOT addictive, like virtually most natural supplements.

SAMe is also a precursor of GLUTHATIONE. As I posted in other threads,
virtually all degenerative diseases are accompanied by a lack of gluthatione.

The doctor did not give you SAMe for many reasons. Medical doctors do not
prescribe natural supplements. Try a naturopathic doctor.

You can order SAMe from www.biovea.com. It is a French company, delivering all over the world.

Instead the doctor gave you diazepam (valium), which IS addictive. Used for a short while, it is probably OK. Usage for a longer period can make your
head shake.

Diazepam is better used once in a while, during a night when you have real
problems.

I have found the name of the Chinese natural sleep aid: Shui De An. If
Amsterdam has a Chinatown, no problem to find it.[/QUOTE]

If you want to see what are the side effects of valium (diazepam) just
read here:

https://www.rxisk.org/default.aspx

You would not like at all what you are going to see.

This web site quotes the side effects of many other drugs. Just search it.

Friend, I also have trouble sleeping, but I found a video that has shown some techniques that have helped me sleep. I'll post here for you to see too.

https://dausel.co/zRxVw0