Yoga Nidra USA

Hi, everyone,
Can anyone please highly recommend any yoga nidra training courses in the US?
Thanks!

You mean a course where a yoga teacher is trained to teach nidra to students?
I’m not aware of a specific course like this. It may be relevant to note that most people labeling what they do as “yoga nidra” are not actually doing yoga nidra at all. Whether that is due to lacking instruction or to misunderstanding I cannot say (and it may vary from one to the other).

There is an interesting article authored by Swamiji that is worth a read. It is located here and makes some clear and valid points. I’m not advocated the site as an ultimate source of truth but the writing is on point and the perspective is insightful.

My sense is that true Yoga Nidra is taught to students who’ve made an ongoing commitment to study with a teacher of some merit. And such teaching is progressive, gradual, and passed carefully to the student for preservation, safety, and sound intention in the transmission.

Thanks, Gordon.
Appreciate your response.
Can you give me an example (possibly a video byte) of the essence of Yoga Nidra?

i studied some at http://www.amrityoga.org/amrit-method-yoga-nidra.html

[QUOTE=yogalove1000;84091]Thanks, Gordon.
Appreciate your response.
Can you give me an example (possibly a video byte) of the essence of Yoga Nidra?[/QUOTE]Not sure how a video would work for such a thing. I’m not in a position to teach teachers on the topic of Yoga Nidra. Now in my tenth year of study with my teacher I am just now doing workshops here of this sort.

The essence of yoga nidra can, I believe be ascertained (cognitively) from the linked article though it is of course best absorbed by doing.

Hey Gordon,
I wanted to see how yoga nidra is performed in action. When the teacher instructs students and to view it while those set of instructions are taking place.

Also, has anyone heard of iRest?

Thanks

Here’s a good site with good info: http://www.bigshakti.com/origin-of-yoga-nidra/

Swami Satyananda Saraswati (who also wrote the book, "Asana, Pranayama, Mudra , Bandha), from the Bihar School is said to have developed Yoga Nidra. I use it quite often in my classes, especially restorative. I explain to my students it is not a state of dreaming, but of Yogic sleep. It is one of their favorites.

Gordon,

My sense is that true Yoga Nidra is taught to students who’ve made an ongoing commitment to study with a teacher of some merit. And such teaching is progressive, gradual, and passed carefully to the student for preservation, safety, and sound intention in the transmission.

I’ve not heard this regarding Yoga Nidra.

Yoga Nidra is given via the medium of sound - the voice. I can think of no good reason why you would want to see it [I]performed[I][/I][/I] since the teacher sits quietly and unobtrusively while delivering the words. Not much to see but plenty to hear.

Yoga Nidra is part of Satyananda/Bihar TTCs but they have recently begun courses (in YN) in Europe for qualified teachers from other traditions so this may also be true of the U.S. You have not said whether you are a teacher nor whether you have much experience of YN. Practising YN is the best preparation before learning to teach it.

Thanks, Lotusgirl and YogaPrem.
I teach yoga, just started, and have discovered how people walk in stressed about their workload and lifeload. I thought to make sessions just for this to help alleviate stress levels.
@Yoga Prem: can you recommend any good source to gain the self-practice of yoga nidra online?

Also, have you heard of iRest by Dr. Miller?

Check out Swami Satyananda Saraswati’s book entitled, “Yoga Nidra.” Fantastic book on the practise.

Hope that helps :slight_smile: Try not to fall asleep!

Yes, Saraswati’s book is excellent and if you click the link in my post above, it does give some background on YN. Very much agree with YogaPrem that a video will likely not give you much as it is all spoken. You can purchase Saraswati’s CD in addition to the book.

And yes, through ITunes, I purchased IRest by Richard Miller. There is both a shortened and extended version. Have listened to it, but not used it in my teaching. It is good, but whether it is better or more effective than YN is more a matter of personal preference. I prefer YN.

I am not familiar with iRest so I googled it and found what I expected to find: someone has taken YN, tweaked it a bit, given it a new name and claimed it as their own.

One of my favourite YNs is by Ed Shapiro who calls it “Inner Conscious Relaxation” but acknowledges that he learned the practise from Sw. Satyananda.I just checked and it’s available from Amazon but he also has his own website. Also, you may not realise that there are different forms of YN which differ quite considerably but that’s part of your ongoing journey!

I am loath to recommend any others simply beacause we all react differently to voices. However, I have never been disappointed by those from Satyananda teachers.

Yes I have heard of iRest and one of my dear friends in Portland is very involved in that work. I’ve not researched it and tend to avoid passing judgement on things I’ve not experienced - a difficult and often seemingly impossible task.

For me the best way to deepen my understanding of Yoga Nidra was to take it as a student several times over several years, then apprentice the teaching, and let those two things steep. Yoga Nidra is not asana but more like yama and niyama in that you cannot simply observe it and read about it to proficiently teach it, IMHO.

I cannot speak to the development of Yoga Nidra mentioned in other posts but it seems to be clear it is given in the Upanishads perhaps as early as the 6th century.

Arhanta yoga is one of the best shool for yoga Nidra classes.
What will you learn?

• How to practice Yoga Nidra correctly

• How to teach Yoga Nidra in individual & group setting

• How to develop the right voice & script

• How to setup & structure a class

• Different types of Yoga Nidra

• Evidence based benefits of Yoga Nidra

• Yoga Nidra & Neuroscience

• Different styles of Yoga Nidra

• Fundamental principles of Yoga Nidra

• Understand the science behind Yoga Nidra

• Understand the difference between Hypnosis & Yoga Nidra

• Do's and Don'ts of Yoga Nidra

• Important safety guidelines

• How to integrate Yoga Nidra in daily life

What will you get?

• Anyone who wants to teach Yoga Nidra full time / part time
  • Anyone who wants to learn & experience Yoga Nidra
  • Yoga teachers who also wants to teach Yoga Nidra
  • Fitness teachers who wants to incorporate Yoga Nidra elements in their classes
  • Anyone who wants to practice Yoga Nidra with deeper understanding