Yoga Quotes

Having done asana, one attains steadiness of body and mind,
freedom from disease and lightness of the limbs.

[I][B]–Hatha Yoga Pradipika[/B][/I]

=====================================

“Your character depends upon the quality of thought held in your mind and the mental pictures and ideals entertained by your. Avoid useless and base thinking.”

“Develop fiery determination, iron will, burning dispassion and yearning for liberation. You will realise the Truth right now. Do or Die.”

“Very difficult indeed, it is to sacrifice the ego. Ego persists. Ego is deep-rooted.”

“Remember and practice the three D’s–Discrimination(Viveka), Dispassion(Vairagya), and Determination.”

[B][I]–Swami Sivananda Saraswati[/I][/B]

=====================================
असतो मा सद्गमय
तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय
मृत्योर् मा अमृतं गमय
ॐ शांति शांति शांति - बृहदारण्यक उपनिषद् 1.3.28.

Transliteration:

Asato maa sadgamaya
Tamaso maa jyotirgamaya
Mrityor maa amritamgamaya
Ōm shanti shanti shanti

Translation:

Lead Us From the Unreal To the Real,
Lead Us From Darkness To Light,
Lead Us From Death To Immortality,
OM (the universal sound of God)
Let There Be Peace Peace Peace. [B][I]- Brihadaranyaka Upanishad 1.3.28.[/I][/B]

You cannot do yoga. Yoga is your natural state. What you can do are yoga exercises, which may reveal to you where you are resisting your natural state. ~Sharon Gannon

Yoga is 99% practice and 1% theory. ~Sri Krishna Pattabhi Jois

When it is said Yoga is 99% practice… I believe it is not meant Yogasanas (Postures) only. Gita also says mastery on Yoga through Abhyasa (Practice) and Gita is not about Hatha Yoga or any physical style of yoga. Your thoughts?

[I]When, through the practice of yoga,
the mind ceases its restless movements,
and becomes still,
the aspirant realizes the Atman.[/I] [B]–Bhagwat Gita[/B]

Hi Raj. I’m practically new to Yoga so I don’t have any in depth explanations. But what I can say is I think Yoga is 99% practice through our body and through our mind. We must focus on not only the physical aspect of the exercise, but the mental aspect of it. What do you think? It would be great if you could teach me some of the need to knows on Yoga. I really find it alluring.

And with music: Asato Maa ( I am not sure how it spells …)

PrettyBoy, I am also learning…Everyone start from postures only. Though I like reading philosophy and understand yoga is not just asanas (postures) and pranayamas (breathing exercises) but mere means to reach to another level. From books and the Internet we can understand the value of learning but we can not really learn. It’s only a teacher who can teach us. I’m also finding one whom I can learn from, you should also try finding a good teacher in your city.

Hubert, Nice music, Spelling is posted above at the end of my first post in this thread. We used to chant it in our prayer at the end of yoga session when I was learning Yoga in India.

Raj, you can call me Floyd. It is so true that only a teacher can teach us everything we need to know in Yoga. I am looking for one now and I’m hoping he/she will be a great teacher to me.

Benefits of Yoga

* Brings down stress and enhances powers of relaxation
* Boosts physical strength, stamina and flexibility
* Bestows greater powers of concentration and self control
* Inculcates impulse Control
* Helps in rehabilitation of old and new injuries
* Intensifies tolerance to pain and enhancing mental clarity
* Boosts functioning of the immune system
* Enhances posture and muscle tone
* Improves blood circulation
* Results in healthy, glowing skin
* Cleanses and improves overall organ functioning
* Bestows peace of mind and a more positive outlook to life
* Infuses a sense of balance and internal harmony

"Yoga means union with the Supreme."
a yogi

“In a conflict between the heart & the brain, follow your heart.” Swami Vivekananda

“The yogi is superior to the ascetics, the (Vedic) scholars and the ritualists. Therefore, O Arjuna, be a yogi. (6.46)” Bhagavad-Gita

[QUOTE=yogam;66896]“The yogi is superior to the ascetics, the (Vedic) scholars and the ritualists. Therefore, O Arjuna, be a yogi. (6.46)” Bhagavad-Gita[/QUOTE]

Really nice one…

I host a facebook page dedicated to only yoga related quotes. Not For Profit. Please come and join us.
Simply search “Simply Yoga Quotes” in facebook to find us :slight_smile:

Through the practices of yoga, we discover that concern for the happiness and well being of others, including animals, must be an essential part of our own quest for happiness and well being. The fork can be a powerful weapon of mass destruction or a tool to create peace on Earth.
Sharon Gannon
You cannot do yoga. Yoga is your natural state. What you can do are yoga exercises, which may reveal to you where you are resisting your natural state.
Sharon Gannon

I love Yoga

“A photographer get people to pose for him but a Yoga instructor gets people to pose for themselves.” T. Gillemets

Years ago I was at a trainning camp one camper asked master "how do we breathe?"
Master said "easy you breathe you live you don’t you die "
IMHO Peace

it?s a dream in a dream until & unless we strike the right chord to nirvikalpa / sahaja samadhi.

sometimes, a guru can guide us to that (non-dual) consciousness.

“Yoga teaches us to cure what should not be endured, and to endure what cannot be cured”

One of my favorites.

‎”The more we sweat in peace the less we bleed in war.” ~ Vijaya Lakshmi Pandit

"An ounce of practice is better than tons of theory."
Yoga Vidya
Cheers