Yoga retreat questions

Hello fellow Yogis,

I am gathering a bit of information on yoga retreats. Thanks in advance for answering the following questions. Oh and if you have any advice, I would love to hear about a retreat experience. Namaste:)

1. What destination would you most like to travel to for a yoga retreat?
    Mexico Hawaii India Indonesia Costa Rica Caribbean Orange County Colorado
    Orange County Palm Springs Lake Tahoe Sedona Europe Other:???_______________
  2. Do you have any suggested venues?
  3. What would you like your day to include? Any specific activities?
  4. How many days would you prefer to be away during your yoga retreat?
    Up to 3 3-5 5-7 7+
  5. How many times a day would you prefer to do yoga?
    1 2 3
  6. What time of the year would you be most likely to attend a yoga retreat?
  7. What is your price range for an all inclusive yoga retreat (not including airfare)?
    $1000-$1500 $1500-$2000 $2000-$2500 $2500+
  8. What would be the reason(s) you would most likely attend a yoga retreat?
    To make new friends Go with Existing friends Have a passion for yoga Great Instructor Like the destination Deepen yoga practice Relax Learn more about yoga Detox Lose weight
    Mental clarity/self reflection Leisure In my price range
    New to Yoga Enjoys Yoga retreats Other______________
  9. What would be the reason(s) you would not attend a yoga retreat?
    Price Instructor Location Skill level Length of retreat Itnerary
  10. When would you most likely travel?
  11. What size of group would be ideal to the retreat?
    5-10 10-15 15-20 20-30
  12. What would you most like from a yoga retreat?

I am obviously biased as i run a yoga and mediation retreat centre in Ireland. The west coast of Ireland is like going back 40 years in time, as it is an unspoilt natural landscape, very few people living in the whole area, and most people live an easy going pace of life that is not seen in much of the western world during the past 40 years.... probably longer in the US :wink:

The venue is the Burren Yoga and Meditation Centre, and it is worth checking out tripadvisor reviews at

(Note this is Ireland Tripadvisor)

We have organized outdoor trips each day, including many activities, which all depend on the preference of the group and include canoeing, surfing, hill walking, swimming, visiting ancient sacred sites and others.

Our courses are either weekends or 6 day, and it is possible to do two 6 day retreats back to back.

Our weeks cost €300 (approx $420) full board, and our 6-day cost €690 (approx $970) sharing with others. A single room costs €120 extra for the 6-days.

We usually practice a meditation class followed by asana class every morning and a meditation, or pranayama or relaxation class every evening. And another asana class every second afternoon. On alternative afternoons we go on longer outings which may include a boat trip to the Aran Islands or a visit to the Cliffs of Moher.

We run courses all year round, about 40 residential courses per year.

Most people come on their own, and come for a variety of different reasons.

We teach about 9 different types of yoga, so it is important to chose the form of yoga that you prefer.

We only take 15 people at a time, as we find that n umber tends to work best. Any bigger then, the group tends to break down into smaller cliches or sub groups. With 15 people everyone gets very good individual attention.

I have been practicing meditation for over 30 years, and yoga for over 20 years, and i select the best yoga and meditation teachers to teach each course while i personally run each course and make sure that everyone has a good time and that the courses run smoothly.

My motivation is to bring the best quality yoga and meditation to complete beginners, and to help deepen the practice of existing practitioners... rather than this being a financial venture. However the centre is run in a financial way in order to ensure it's continued existence and continual improvement.

I am looking forward to hearing about other retreat venues.

Best Wishes,
Dave

Namaste Yogaretreatgirl!

I create my own yoga retreats by finding a yoga studio with a good class schedule and building a vacation around it, ideally in a city I’ve never visited before. For instance, in January I spent a week in Miami attending classes at a great studio called Prana Yoga. I stayed at an extended stay hotel nearby; took classes in the morning, and did touristy things in the afternoons and evenings. In April I plan to do the same in Phoenix, AZ, at Desert Song. The cost of the classes + the hotel is generally far less than the price of the same number of days at a traditional retreat; of course, the disadvantage is that it’s not total immersion in 24/7 yoga.

Have fun,
Yaara

Me personally? If I’m going on a retreat, and I rarely if ever do so, I’m going to go with someone that I deeply respect, know their teaching, have vetted their living relative to that teaching, and understand the type of light they are transmitting in their work.

Perhaps I’m not your target market.

1. What would be the reason(s) you would not attend a yoga retreat?

Price-- I couldn’t justify spending thousands of dollars on a few days. Yoga retreats seem to me something for wealthy people.

Instructor-- Most likely I would not have met the instructor before buying the package. I wouldn’t know the instructor’s angle, the quality of their teaching, etc. It’s a lot of money to spend not knowing what you’re going to get. I think more is learned when we choose a teacher and follow him or her consistently for some time.

It might be good for non-discerning beginners with loads of disposable income, but I’m not in a position to drop 2 grand to do yoga in Mexico for a week.

[QUOTE=yogaretreatgirl;55302]Hello fellow Yogis,

I am gathering a bit of information on yoga retreats. Thanks in advance for answering the following questions. Oh and if you have any advice, I would love to hear about a retreat experience. Namaste:)

1. What destination would you most like to travel to for a yoga retreat?
    Mexico Hawaii India Indonesia Costa Rica Caribbean Orange County Colorado
    Orange County Palm Springs Lake Tahoe Sedona Europe Other:???_______________
  2. Do you have any suggested venues?
  3. What would you like your day to include? Any specific activities?
  4. How many days would you prefer to be away during your yoga retreat?
    Up to 3 3-5 5-7 7+
  5. How many times a day would you prefer to do yoga?
    1 2 3
  6. What time of the year would you be most likely to attend a yoga retreat?
  7. What is your price range for an all inclusive yoga retreat (not including airfare)?
    $1000-$1500 $1500-$2000 $2000-$2500 $2500+
  8. What would be the reason(s) you would most likely attend a yoga retreat?
    To make new friends Go with Existing friends Have a passion for yoga Great Instructor Like the destination Deepen yoga practice Relax Learn more about yoga Detox Lose weight
    Mental clarity/self reflection Leisure In my price range
    New to Yoga Enjoys Yoga retreats Other______________
  9. What would be the reason(s) you would not attend a yoga retreat?
    Price Instructor Location Skill level Length of retreat Itnerary
  10. When would you most likely travel?
  11. What size of group would be ideal to the retreat?
    5-10 10-15 15-20 20-30
  12. What would you most like from a yoga retreat?[/QUOTE]

You may try out the following links:

divyajivan.org/yoga_camp.htm
yogapoint.com/info/ttcourse.htm
sivananda.org/vacations/yoga-vacation.html