Yoga teacher training by distance

Hi all,

I would like to hear everyone’s opinion on getting a yoga teacher training qualification by distance.

How important is the qualification? How important is the provider of the course? What are employers looking for in a yoga teacher?

cheers,
Om Shanti
Yogana

Contact hours are very important, perhaps critical, in the process of learning to be a teacher of yoga. I would not therefore advocate to any of my students who were interested in teacher training to do so purely in a remote fashion. That having been said, a long training (beyond 200 hours) would almost assuredly include some non-contact hours.

I’m not sure what you men by “the qualification”. If you are referencing a certificate of some sort then it would depend. These days here in the States it seems like a good idea to have a yoga alliance affiliation. However there are good teachers without them and there are poor teachers with them. But it is a sign that you yourself take a professional approach to your craft. I think that speaks volumes.

The provider of the course is only relevant based on their living of yoga and their design of a robust training. This is about one sharing yoga with others not prancing around in front of a group of 30 in order to be popular and make friends. What is relevant is that one is soundly trained, not that they are trained by a star.

Employers? That too depends. Some employers are merely looking for a heartbeat. Others are looking for teaching skill. And then there are all points in between.

I personally suggest those interested in teaching yoga consider it seriously and evaluate the prospect of a lifetime of training ahead on the horizon.

Dear InnerAthlete,

thank you very much for your advise. It’s very useful and it goes in line to what I was thinking.

Would like to hear more from other people out there and perhaps someone within Australia. ??

Cheers,

Yogana

I must admit I am biased as I have never taken an online yoga teacher training class. While it is true that some people may pay $10,000 for top of the line yoga training at the most prestigious school in the world and get less out of it than someone taking classes online, I feel strongly that the teaching of yoga needs a significant amount of human interaction.

As I write this, I am pondering how I would setup an online course (I have a reasonable amount of internet related business and technology experience). Through the diligent use of webcams, video, and forums, maybe it could work, but I’m skeptical.

In addition, while I am not above offering online yoga classes for students (that’s a topic on its own though) I would never dream of teaching new teachers with current technology. This may come across as judgmental (because it probably is) but I would have to question the ethics of anyone offering such training.

With that said, if I am an employer (keep in mind I am probably an exception here), whether this be yoga or any other area, I don’t really care what school someone has been to or their education level. I care about who they are and their abilities.

Hi David,

that’s good to hear. I was with you about the distance course subject as that’s why I asked. But apparently the idea is that most of the history, physiology, bandhas etc is studied by distance (as you said, dvd, internet, books, skype face-to-face contact) while the asanas as well as meditation, yoga nidra etc subjects are practiced as a home practice and at a studio of your choice.

Good to hear you think that the person and their abilities are more important than where they got their qualification.

thanks for your reply.

ta
Yogana

[QUOTE=David;14603]I must admit I am biased as I have never taken an online yoga teacher training class. While it is true that some people may pay $10,000 for top of the line yoga training at the most prestigious school in the world and get less out of it than someone taking classes online, I feel strongly that the teaching of yoga needs a significant amount of human interaction.

As I write this, I am pondering how I would setup an online course (I have a reasonable amount of internet related business and technology experience). Through the diligent use of webcams, video, and forums, maybe it could work, but I’m skeptical.

In addition, while I am not above offering online yoga classes for students (that’s a topic on its own though) I would never dream of teaching new teachers with current technology. This may come across as judgmental (because it probably is) but I would have to question the ethics of anyone offering such training.

With that said, if I am an employer (keep in mind I am probably an exception here), whether this be yoga or any other area, I don’t really care what school someone has been to or their education level. I care about who they are and their abilities.[/QUOTE]

This is a very good point. Yoga is an experiential lesson which in which student and teacher exchange ideas and opinions to try and help the student grow. furnishing the life of yoga takes guidance and training, most of which must be guided and overseen by an experienced practitioner. If you really want to learn yoga, try to find a teacher nearest to you who is experience and can offer you proper guidance in learning the art of yoga. It really is an art, and therefore require the care and guidance of a good teacher.

Learn yoga teacher training from experts. We are at Arhanta yoga provides yoga teacher training online at an affordable price.

Arhanta Yoga® is an international Yoga school with Yoga ashrams in India and the Netherlands. We help people to become confident & certified yoga teachers with our internationally accredited professional yoga teacher training courses. Our courses are based on our years of teaching experience. Since 2009, 4000+ yoga teachers have been certified from Arhanta Yoga Ashrams.