Yoga teacher training -- worth it?

I am considering doing YTT with a respected local studio. Is it worth it? Money is tight and the cost is 2,000. I have been practicing for about ten years sporadically, and want to deepen my practice, but not necessarily teach. I am curious what people who have done it think about their experience. Thanks.

If you are not looking to teach, perhaps it would be more recommended to take another type of class or retreat that would offer a deeper self-practice. That is a lot of money and a large commitment. I’m sure that the teachers from your studio could recommend somewhere good to visit that wouldn’t cost quite so much. You could also ask if they know of someone who could offer you private lessons, to give you guidance in self-study and learn to apply what you learn to your life and your practice. Good luck!

If you want to deepen your practice from something you describe as ‘sporadic’, I offer that the next step is daily practice.

There are many ways to deepen one’s practice without spending $2,000. At the same time, there are some teachers, some training, that is absolutely worth more than it’s financial cost.

There are two concepts I’d share if I were asked by my student(s). The first is that ultimately only they can know where they are called to be - whether that is a training, an occupation, a relationship, or a side dish for dinner.

The second is to find a workshop or training where they absolutely had exposure and direction to the process of finding number one.

Hi , i am doing my TTC now and i think the most important is to know your intention for taking TTC.If your intention is just to deepen your practice , i would suggest you to read alot and attend workshops and classes. Explore more teachers and you will definately learn alot more from different teachers.

TTC hours are short , basic one will be TTC 200 HOURS. Out of this hours , there are alot more than u need to do to deepen your practice. In that 200 hours, your teacher can not teach u everything. You will have to spend time and effort in your learning to explore and find the answer to your question.

I can give u an idea on TTC i am doing now which covered anotomy ,Physiology,Philosophy, Yoga sutra , Teaching technique , contemporary and kundalini yoga. During the TTc , we were arranged to a local university anotomy lab to study muscle and bone. Other than that , we were also arrange to attend 7 days classes for meditation at Brahma Kumari. Last but not least , i will need to complete my assignement and sit for Assessment. Find a school , and talk to them. Some school are allowed to pay by installment. My school does. Check out the course and you can decide on if the course suits you.

Hope my sharing helps.

As, you already explain that you have ten years experience and you want to go into more deepen. But I think you have a wide experience and you can easily teach and when you start to teach then you will get more experience.

In my perspective, becoming a teacher would definitely give deeper experience in Yoga. When you become a teacher, you will have to interact with students and instills them to practise Yoga. Its a tough to instill a habit among others. You may need to strengthen your skills in order to become a great teacher.

greenoroO said
"As, you already explain that you have ten years experience and you want to go into more deepen. But I think you have a wide experience and you can easily teach and when you start to teach then you will get more experience"

Do you think that this holds true to all teaching all subjects or just teaching yoga ?

I think it’s true of anything. I got better at teaching Shakespeare by teaching Shakespeare.

Fortunately, teaching Shakespeare cannot lead to hip replacement, knee ligament damage, and cervical spine issues. :wink:

This looks like a great discussion. I agree with those who have offered that perhaps you can deepen your practice without spending $2000.

I’ve been wanting to become a yoga teacher for years but decided to deepen and broaden my practice first so I would have something more to offer to students. Years of daily practice (to include meditation), reading books by the dozens of great teachers out there and experiencing many types of yoga have given me a much better idea of what kind of teacher I hope to be. Now, its just getting off to an intensive YTT program!

Hope this helps.

Peace,

Kiran

anandayogashram.org is designed to give you lots of infromation of Jnana Yoga, Hatha [B]yoga teacher training india[/B],Bhakt,Karma Yoga,meditation,Yoga Teacher training India,yoga training courses,relaxation,yoga training certification.
Visit:–
[B]anandayogashram.org[/B]

Have you thought about an immersion instead of a teacher training program. In Anusara Yoga there are 3 part immersions that aid in deepening your understanding of the practice of yoga. Not sure where in PA your located, but Yogaphoria in New Hope is an example of a studio offering this type of immersion. Naime Jezzeny is a wonderful teacher there!

I am considering doing YTT with a respected local studio. Is it worth it? Money is tight and the cost is 2,000. I have been practicing for about ten years sporadically, and want to deepen my practice, but not necessarily teach. I am curious what people who have done it think about their experience. Thanks.
You can always consider to take a good home study teacher training course. They are often less pricey but provide very thorough instructions and guidelines.

The only one I know of that seems to deliver good and extensive material and guidance through video, books, etc. is for example this course:

Yoga Teacher Training - Home Study Course Level 1 (240 Hours)

Or if you want an even more extensive program which would still be half of the price you would have to pay for the one you are doubting about taking:

Yoga Teacher Training - Home Study Course Level 2 (500 Hours)

The latter includes the Level 1 Course but adds to it the Level 2 Course.

If you go to these pages, you will see a picture of what you’ll get shipped to your home and you will be able to read more information on exactly what you will get and how much it will cost you (I believe somewhere between $400 and $990, depending on the program).

Perhaps it makes the step towards Yoga Teacher Training a little easier. Or maybe I’ve only made the choice more difficult? :confused:

Anyway, I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Love,
Bentinho.

Our original poster has not logged on since this initial query–this data you are able to see, if you are interested in the future, by clicking on a persons profile–but since others are participating and reading along, I would like to add to this thread.

In my opinion, there is no course that is entirely home-based that will prepare you to teach others Yoga, even if it is simply the physical postures (asana) that you are wanting to teach and that is being requesting of you. What I have come to see as the real value of Yoga, as both a student and a teacher, is the imparting of Yoga between teacher and student. The richness of the tradition and lineage of Yoga, and the practice of your own teacher, is what transforms physical movements into what so many people are seeking (and experiencing) in their personal Yoga practices. In a home-based course, you may learn to precisely imitate the outward appearance of the postures that you see in your books and videos, but as a teacher you will only be able to share what has been shared with you. For example, if you want to create a sattvic relationship with your students in which to teach Yoga, then you must have this first created for you by your own teacher and it must be an aspect of your personal practice. This is what so many training courses (home or classroom, 200hr, 500hr, 1000hr) are only able to touch on due to the cost and time restraints that they and their trainees have. And I use the word “must”, but either you do or you don’t. As you like.

So many choices, many of them good, many of them better, many of them even better :D. Bottom line, limit your teaching to what you have been taught and what you practice. If this stirs your heart to teach more, or your students are asking you for more, then return to being a student again and then when ready, teach what you know. Repeat and repeat again!

btw, Bentinho, friend, I noticed that when I clicked on your links that the url listed you as a partner for this company: Are you in partnership with the program that you offered in any way? Are you an affiliate to this company? I would appreciate your full disclosure on this.

Your own,
Nichole

Hey Nichole,

I actually agree with you on the teacher student relationship and I was assuming that the original poster has had many physical lessons already, but wanted to become a teacher or at least deepen his experience. So I would not advise such a home study course to anyone who has not yet had lessons in a group before. But then again, I think mostly anyone who would want to do such a teacher training course would have done ( a lot of ) yoga before with a teacher.

btw, Bentinho, friend, I noticed that when I clicked on your links that the url listed you as a partner for this company: Are you in partnership with the program that you offered in any way? Are you an affiliate to this company? I would appreciate your full disclosure on this.

About 5 years ago I tarted a website about yoga. It’s at: www.yoga-mind-control.com.

I wrote all the content that’s on that website in that same year (just to indicate it has been a while and I have changed vision since then at least at some crucial parts) and while I was building a mailing list and more people requested of me if I knew of some good home study courses, I told them I would look if I could find anything I would consider authentic. It was then that I researched some of these sites and this one felt authentic at the time and it still does.

So I started to research more about this one in specific and I read at several places that people were really happy with what this guy Paul Jerard provides.

It was then that I let my mailing list know about it and so I discovered not much later that I could partner up with that website and get a commission. So yes it is indeed called an affiliate program and I do earn a commission in case anyone buys from him.

That’s being said, it’s more of a bonus, a practical extra, for me than it is a reason for promotion. I do belief that his programs are good though since I have heard it is good from people of my mailing list as well.

Hope this is full disclosure?

Love,
Bentinho.

Yoga has become a popular form of exercise, stress relief, and spiritual growth. The benefits of yoga are numerous: physical fitness, mental calmness, emotional stability, and spiritual awareness. Yoga teacher training can enhance your personal practice, help you to improve the lives of others, and provide you with a rewarding career path.

Yoga is a Sanskrit word that means "to unite". Yoga is the union between an individual's mind and body. By practicing yoga poses (postures), breathing exercises (pranayama), and meditation techniques, many feel a sense of inner peace and joy.

Yoga can be practiced by anyone regardless of age or physical ability. Over the years it has become accessible to people in many countries. Yoga teacher training can take place in a variety of settings including ashrams (serene retreat centers) or schools in foreign countries such as India or Thailand. With the growing popularity of yoga in the West there are now many teacher training programs available closer to home.

Yoga teacher training (YTT) offers a range of benefits and can be worth the investment for individuals with a passion for yoga and a desire to deepen their practice. Here are some key benefits and considerations:

1. Deepening Personal Practice:

• YTT provides an immersive experience that allows participants to deepen their personal understanding and practice of yoga. It goes beyond the physical postures, exploring philosophy, meditation, and breathwork.
  2. Comprehensive Knowledge:

• YTT covers a wide range of topics, including yoga philosophy, anatomy, teaching methodology, and ethics. This comprehensive knowledge equips aspiring teachers with the skills needed to guide others safely and effectively.
  3. Skill Development:

• Participants learn the art of sequencing, cueing, and adjusting postures, enhancing their ability to lead a yoga class. Teaching practicums during YTT provide valuable hands-on experience in a supportive environment.
  4. Community and Networking:

• YTT fosters a sense of community among participants. Connecting with like-minded individuals creates a supportive network for personal growth, collaboration, and ongoing learning within the yoga community.
  5. Teaching Opportunities:

• Completing a YTT program opens up opportunities to teach yoga classes at studios, gyms, or private settings. Many yoga studios require instructors to have a YTT certification.
  6. Personal Transformation:

• YTT is often a transformative journey, leading to personal growth, self-discovery, and enhanced self-awareness. Participants may experience positive shifts in their mindset, lifestyle, and overall well-being.
  7. Confidence Building:

• Through practice teaching and receiving constructive feedback, participants develop confidence in their ability to lead a class. This confidence extends beyond the yoga studio into other areas of life.
  8. Holistic Approach:

• YTT introduces a holistic approach to yoga, emphasizing not only physical postures but also the mental, emotional, and spiritual aspects of the practice. This well-rounded perspective enriches the understanding of yoga as a lifestyle.
  9. Continuous Learning:

• YTT is just the beginning of a lifelong journey of learning and growth. Certified yoga teachers can continue their education through advanced trainings, workshops, and self-study, staying connected to the evolving world of yoga.
  10. Fulfilling a Passion:

• For those with a passion for yoga, YTT offers a fulfilling and meaningful way to channel that passion into a purpose. Teaching yoga can become a rewarding vocation aligned with personal values.

While the benefits are substantial, it's important to consider the investment of time, money, and energy in a YTT program. Aspiring yoga teachers should carefully research and choose a reputable program that aligns with their goals and values. The worth of YTT ultimately depends on the individual's commitment to personal growth, teaching aspirations, and the desire to share the transformative power of yoga with others.