Yoga Textbooks?

Greetings, All.

I’m making my 3rd or 4th attempt at yoga. I’ve tried classes but I’m starting from such a low point that classes are to fast paced for me, the same is true with videos. I need to start slowly at home before moving on to classes/videos.

I’ve bought books but they all seem to be just a listing of poses with pictures and tips on how to achieve them.

What I’m looking for a is something more along the lines of a textbook. Something that covers the history and philosophy of yoga along with terms and a pose program that I can do at my own pace.

Does such a test exists?

Any recommendations would be great appreciated.

Thank you.

Thanks for the input but the link doesn’t seem to work

Thanks but the link still does not work

Right now I’m reading “The Idiot’s Guide to Yoga,” which starts off very basic - i.e., it assumes you know nothing about yoga. (I’m not QUITE that basic, but I am restarting a yoga practice after almost 20 years, so…). It covers the philosophy behind yoga, info on the meditation aspects, then talks about the poses - from the basic to a bit more advanced. I’m finding it very informative and easy to read.

-Amanda

Thanks, I’ll look for a copy!

“Light on yoga” by Shri BKS Iyengar is good book for explanation.

I have replied many threads like this saying that having combination of both (classes + literature ) helps a lot instead of one, at least for beginners.

After spending half to one year under someone you can explore yourself. You can keep changing classes and I bet you hit one place that you find something you are looking for.

Issue is that, even books may be written by either experts for you to understand subtleties of it or by someone who has superficial knowledge of yoga.

As per personal experience, aspirant needs to cross a threshold level (of maturity) under someone in yoga to take the journey by self.