Yoga Tips for Beginners

Hi,

I’m very excited because my mat just arrived today!
I’m eager to learn my first pose but there are a lot of yoga styles.
I’m confused which one to follow.

I’m not fat.
I’m not also very thin.
I work at home.
I’ll do yoga at home.
But my work requires a lot of sitting which is not good for my health.

I’ve never done yoga before.

What are the things you did when you were a beginner which you think worked well?
What are the things I must or mustn’t do?

Hope you can help me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I went to class, listen to the teacher, and was not in a hurry, that is pretty much all I got.

Also, there is Chair Yoga for your office. I believe Rodney Yee use to have a free video on his site for Chair Yoga

2 Likes

Found the link to chair yoga for your office

Hi SCMT!

Thank you very much for it!

I’ll surely do this one. :slight_smile:

I like many of Rodney Yee’s DVDs and his book with associated program is pretty good too. He also does seminar in various places from time to time. There use to be a poster on YogaForums @lotusgirl that had been to a few of his seminars and she thought they were good and she rather enjoyed going

Post deleted, it was a double post

Looked at it and it is ok,although it got more the feeling of sales than info.

I like these sites better

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-8622/14-styles-of-yoga-explained-simply.html

1 Like

Hi, Iam new to yoga , just want to share some of the tips with you guys,

The traditional and non-competitive approach of Yoga practice - comprising the Five Points of Yoga outlined below - helps one to be fully at home in one’s body, with oneself and the world.

1. PROPER EXERCISE
    The whole body exists as an organic unity, in a deep rhythm of its own. Yoga exercises release all sorts of accumulated toxins from the body. Stretching stimulates receptors in the nervous system that decrease the production of stress hormones. Asana practice enhances the flexibility of the joints, muscles, tendons and ligaments and stimulates circulation. Flexibility and strength of the spine keep the body youthful.

2. PROPER BREATHING
    Conscious breathing allows one to notice one's surroundings, to pay attention to oneself and decompress. It connects the body to its battery, the solar plexus, which is a storehouse of energy. Stress and depression can be overcome by breathing more deeply with increased awareness.

3. PROPER RELAXATION
    Taking time to relax means taking time out of one's busy life to pay attention to the body and mind. Conscious relaxation techniques relieve the body of existing stress symptoms and also helps develop resilience against external stress factors. Once body and mind are freed from constant overload, they are at ease and perform more efficiently.

4. PROPER DIET
    Right diet is eating in tune with your body’s and nature's rhythms. It promotes health and has a balancing effect on body and mind. A yogic diet is natural, simple to prepare, easy to digest, calming for the mind and causes the least harm to other living beings and the environment.

5. COGNITIVE TRANSFORMATION & MEDITATION
    Eliminates negative thought patterns by becoming aware of hidden unconscious mental and emotional patterns through mindfulness and inquiry. This is the way to Inner Peace.

If you want to read more about this, you can visit to this page https://yogavana.in/blog/2018/5/17/yoga-trauma-healing

3 Likes

If you are doing yoga for the first time, then you have to follow some tips, so that you don't get injured at the time of yoga practice. Are you interested in learning the yoga principles, then you can join the Yoga Teacher Training in Rishikesh. Once you started the yoga, then you do regular practice of yoga for three months, then it will give you the positive result.

Here are the tips to yoga beginners:

1. Do warm up before yoga session

2. Take advice from yoga instructor.

3. Tell about your injuries to yoga instructor

4. Practice at home

1 Like

Welcome here myfriend!

1 Like

Hi all,

I am new here and want to start yoga. I saw this 12-week program and wonder if you find this seems legit? I want to lose some weight and feel better.

This is the article I read about a 12-week program.

1 Like

Hi,
I feel the excitement of wanting to know how to start doing yoga as a beginner.
I was at the same place you are, a few months ago. Then, I found www.vedyou.com where I came to know about a lot of stuff regarding yoga. You can check out their site. They have some amazing tips for beginners as well.

1 Like

If you are a yoga beginner or thinking about having a go at yoga then here are few tips to get you started

Respect Your Body’s Inner Wisdom And Limitations
Don’t push yourself to do anything that feels dangerous or wrong for you. This is ‘Ahimsa’, the practice of non-harm, which is essential to skilful and beneficial practice of yoga. Talk to your teacher and a health professional if you are pregnant or have particular injuries such as to the knees or spine, or any serious medical condition. Find out which poses to avoid at certain times, and which will be beneficial for you. Be aware of contraindications relevant to your specific circumstances: for example some poses are not to be practiced during early pregnancy, with certain injuries, or during menstruation, whereas other poses may be very helpful.

Be Aware Of The Space Around You
Yoga classes can be packed out; be aware of the need to leave enough space between yourself and others so that if you topple from your Tree Pose, you don’t knock over your neighbor too. There is a certain etiquette of respectful awareness of sharing space with others that is a lovely part of yoga practice.

Eating And Drinking And Yoga
It is advisable not to eat for one or two hours before yoga practice, and to drink only small amounts of water beforehand and do not drink during practice. Avoid alcohol, sugar or caffeine before yoga.

Wear Loose Comfortable Clothing (That Stays On)
You will stretch your body in all directions and so you don’t want to wear anything that will dig in or restrict your movement. At some point you are likely to bend your body right over and also turn upside down, so it saves wriggling about or exposing more that you wish to if you wear stretch fit gear. For women in particular, tops that won’t fall down over your head in a shoulder stand might be more relaxing to wear, for example! If you prefer looser fit clothes that may slip, make sure you have substantial underwear on.

Make Practice Frequent
Little and often is more effective than occasional long sessions of yoga. Even 15 minutes a day of a few well-chosen poses can have a very positive effect on your physical, emotional and mental well-being. A regular discipline will reap more benefits, as that way the body begins to feel comfortable and familiar with the process and gradually becomes more flexible and subtly aware of the sensations, rather than ‘starting from cold’ again once in a while.

all the best

1 Like

I have a video..
I hope you like this

https://shrinke.me/EfYDlh