Yoga to Address the Frightening State of the World

It is becoming obvious to people who are ‘awake.’ The facts mount from every conceivable discipline. Scientists, engineers, social architects, politicians, environmentalists, they all tell us the same thing. We are headed for one of the biggest crises in 5000 years of recorded evolution unless we do one small thing. . .change our minds.

Is it that easy to change the world? It is definitely possible. By changing our ideas, we change the way that we interact with everyone around us. We start with a fundamental restructuring of ourselves, and this affects the fabric of not only humankind, but all of earth’s sentient creatures. Why is this time so different than any other in human history? If we don’t change our minds, and find a new paradigm within which to insert civilization as we know it, then we face unsustainable outcomes.

War, for example, in the 21st century is different than it has ever been in human history. War is no longer a fight between countries with a single border, or a territorial spat, but more a war of ideas. We fight for oil, and resources, borders also, but our wars now are over belief as they have never been before. The problem with this is that our weapons are so advanced now, with one misguided act of war, we can now wipe out all of civilization, not just the people next door encroaching on our land. More countries and more rogue groups within those countries have access to technologically advanced weapons than ever before, at least in the last 5000 years of human civilization. In this one regard, it is time to change how we deal with our differences, or we will have no world to fight for.

War is just one of the problems taking us to the brink. With climate change, new diseases, a population explosion and the world has never seen, and poverty to levels the world has seldom known, we have no choice but to make another choice. Science and religion have been trying to push the idea of survival of the fittest down our throats for a while. And in their defense, when this idea first came about, it was all we could support scientifically at that time. But science is supposed to be objective. We are supposed to test facts against a hypothesis, and if the facts don’t support that hypothesis, then we change our hypothesis to a new one. This is what yogic and meditative traditions call discernment. If even the fields of study that are supposed to push the envelope of thought have become entrenched in their ideas, (largely because science has become an industry and many scientists have entire careers and massive amounts of funding behind them to uphold old paradigms) then how can we find new solutions to these completely epic problems we face?

A clear mind leads many of us to push past what science or religion tells us. We know intuitively that something we’ve been told isn’t quite right. We start to search everywhere outside of ourselves for answers, but all we run into, much of the time is the same dogmatic, old-paradigm responses to our inquiries.

Let’s take for example, a very simple ‘fact’ proven false by recent scientific study. In 1887 there was an experiment to prove weather or not there was what scientists call a ‘unified field’ and what yogis and sages call the Absolute, or Allness. In that early experiment they could not prove that all things were connected, and they assumed that there was no universal cause and effect, but over two decades ago, the US Airforce actually conducted another study to test the same hypothesis. They found that there was indeed a unified field. Peer reviewed, scientifically established journals published these findings, but they were not prominently discussed because we had been told for over a hundred years that everything was separate. This research as well as more recent studies prove there is a basic unified field equation tat describes the mechanism of how the known force fields (gravitational, electromagnetic, and the strong and weak nuclear) interact and work together, not in opposition to one another. Do you ever wonder why this theory has not been more prominently discussed? It would change everything if it were indeed true.

If the unified field theory is accepted, it explains many questions we’ve had for a long time. It explains how whales communicate over very long distances using ULF frequencies. It explains how fireflies remain in synchronism over significant distances – out of sight of each other, flickering in some grand cosmic neon dance. It even explains the workings of cosmic bodies such as black holes, giving us an additional perspective on their behavior.

The Unified Filed Theory is the scientific term for Universal Oneness described in the [I]Yoga Sutras[/I], in the [I]Bhagavad Gita[/I], in countless [I]Vedic[/I] manuscripts. It explains why yogis and sages have talked about for centuries. Patanjali told us that with meditation and yoga practice we could develop [I]yoga chitta[/I] – the use of intuition, clairvoyance, and an unshattered view of Universal Oneness. British philosopher and interpreter of Eastern wisdom, Alan Wilson Watts tells us, “You and I are all as much continuous with the physical universe as a wave is continuous with the ocean.”

As the world seems to be coming to a cataclysmic end, we can halt everything. We can change the world, and it starts with [I]yoga chitta[/I], the understanding that the way we see things changes everything. This one simple fact presides over so much of what we do. How we govern, how we eat, how we work, how we set up our social systems, and how we look at others and ourselves. When we embrace the idea of Universality, of oneness with all of creation, then we can no longer treat others as if they don’t matter. We can solve world problems right now with this little change.

References:
http://www.allanstime.com/UnifiedFieldTheory/Original_Dec99/index.html

About the Author:
Christina Sarich runs http://www.yogaforthenewworld.blogspot.com

this is awesome!!! How can i share this with everyone i know- even in a non-yogi way? I feel like it is so valuable to understand !

thank you for your light!!

[B]Amen.[/B]

To liilavati - I guess send them the link or you can post on Facebook - or just spread the word to anyone who will listen. Much light back to you!

Hello!

This is the first article I read on this forum, because I got so scared by the intro how everything is going down and we will all die, if we don’t change.

What I’d like to make are a few notes on is the “unified field theory”. YogiDiva - I assume you’re not interested to discuss this article, are you? - depicts it as if it was an attempt to prove that “all things were connected”. Or better: Are. That’s not the unified field theory. It’s about bringing several theories and explanatory models of the four forces in the universe together and create one single theory/set of formulae to explain those four forces. Here they are:

Strong interaction: the interaction responsible for holding quarks together to form neutrons and protons, and holding neutrons and protons together to form nuclei. The exchange particle that mediates this force is the gluon.

Electromagnetic interaction: the familiar interaction that acts on electrically charged particles. The photon is the exchange particle for this force.

Weak interaction: a repulsive short-range interaction responsible for some forms of radioactivity, that acts on electrons, neutrinos, and quarks. It is governed by the W and Z bosons.

Gravitational interaction: a long-range attractive interaction that acts on all particles with mass. The postulated exchange particle has been named the graviton.
So the UFT would be one theory that covers all these phenomenae. To give a better understanding: First there was a theory on electricity (electric fields) and a seperate one on magnetism (magnetic fields). But then a Mr. James Clerk Maxwell brought these two seperate theories together in his “Maxwell’s equations” and they become just one theory.

Equally scientist search for a theory that unifies the four interactions into one theory. That would be a “Theory of everything”:

A theory of everything (TOE) is a putative theory of theoretical physics that fully explains and links together all known physical phenomena, and predicts the outcome of any experiment that could be carried out in principle.
There is neither a UTF, nor a TOE until today, so to say something like

over two decades ago, the US Airforce actually conducted another study to test the same hypothesis. They found that there was indeed a unified field.
unfortunately is nonsense in two ways: A unified field theory is not about a unified field that connects everything, nor has it been found. Also:

Peer reviewed, scientifically established journals published these findings, but they were not prominently discussed because we had been told for over a hundred years that everything was separate.
I don’t know what the author is talking about here, can we have a link to an arcticle in a “scientifically established journal”? I guess either not or what such article would be about, is neither a unified field theory, nor a a unified field in the sense the author means.

Equally is what follows unfortunately plain and simply nonsense and could only become published as an arcticle on Yogaforums.com, because our reviewer David has no idea what the UTF and TOE is:

If the unified field theory is accepted, it explains many questions we?ve had for a long time. It explains how whales communicate over very long distances using ULF frequencies. It explains how fireflies remain in synchronism over significant distances – out of sight of each other, flickering in some grand cosmic neon dance. It even explains the workings of cosmic bodies such as black holes, giving us an additional perspective on their behavior.

The Unified Filed Theory is the scientific term for Universal Oneness described in the Yoga Sutras, in the Bhagavad Gita, in countless Vedic manuscripts. It explains why yogis and sages have talked about for centuries. Patanjali told us that with meditation and yoga practice we could develop yoga chitta ? the use of intuition, clairvoyance, and an unshattered view of Universal Oneness. British philosopher and interpreter of Eastern wisdom, Alan Wilson Watts tells us, “You and I are all as much continuous with the physical universe as a wave is continuous with the ocean.”

As the world seems to be coming to a cataclysmic end, we can halt everything. We can change the world, and it starts with yoga chitta, the understanding that the way we see things changes everything. This one simple fact presides over so much of what we do. How we govern, how we eat, how we work, how we set up our social systems, and how we look at others and ourselves. When we embrace the idea of Universality, of oneness with all of creation, then we can no longer treat others as if they don?t matter. We can solve world problems right now with this little change.
Again, I’m sorry, unfortunately, and I’m not trying to be a dick, but yet: This is nonsense. Utter. Particularly:

The Unified Filed Theory is the scientific term for Universal Oneness described in the Yoga Sutras
Really not at all.

And this link, given as a reference:

http://www.allanstime.com/UnifiedFieldTheory/Original_Dec99/index.html
Who are these people? Irrelevant. It seems that Mr. Allen worked in the field of measuring time/building clocks, that has pretty much nothing to do with insights into “…a mechanism for constructing an anti-gravity device”, "explanation of and behavior of “Black-holes” or (this is particularly hilarious) “the possibility for a fifth and most important force field”. If you ask me, a typical case of pseudoscience, check out how to identifiy such.

Also it should be noted, that though it says "Contains portions that were edited from the shorter version later submitted to Science. " - and “Science” is indeed an established academic journal, it says on the next page that the article was submitted, but “not public”. This is - if ya ask me - intentionally misleading, it’s like I send some obscure stuff to “Science” and then said I submitted it there, to have it look like it was published too. I have no doubt this stuff was not published anywhere.

I, personally, though, do believe that all is connected. There are interesting theories about it, for example is there one quite prominent… “example” from chaos-theory, that the… flapping of a butterfly’s wing can cause a tornado. Also, pretty much anything is influenced by gravity, which actually is not so much a force as most people think it is, but more some sort of distortion of space-time; see the image to the upper left on that WP-page. For example is our solar system connected, which means, the sun is connected with the planets and the planets also affect each other. And the solar system is connected with our galaxy and affected by the other billions of stars in it. Our galaxy then is affected by other galaxy of the local group, and so forth. There are further theories, like the string-theory. But this is advanced stuff, and you need to read a whole lot to come to a basic “understanding” (not really…). To actually see through this and not just be able to repeat what you’ve read, not even acquiring an academic degree is enough. This belongs to the most advanced knowledge menkind has at all.

Conclusion: Don’t try to explain philosophy and Sutra-stuff with modern science. You don’t understand it and make tons of mistakes, then your article/idea/opinion looks - sorry - stupid to those who know some stuff a tleast. Stick to philosophy. Read the Sutras, or the Dao De Jing, the Dao is a unified field for example. You get much further in understanding this stuff than trying to approach it via physics. Actually and honestly, you just talk physics to make your philosophy look more real and hard-factish, don’t you.

And if you want to understand physics, be prepared to read a few dozen books, you could start with Hawkings Brief History of Time; get the illustrated version, if you can, very beautiful, I have it right next to me. Read it, and whenever you don’t get the point, research that one further. But really, it’s not very fruitful for the purpose of explaining Yogic theories.

I agree with Q. This article is crawling with errors. For example:

Let?s take for example, a very simple ?fact? proven false by recent scientific study. In 1887 there was an experiment to prove weather or not there was what scientists call a ?unified field? and what yogis and sages call the Absolute, or Allness. In that early experiment they could not prove that all things were connected, and they assumed that there was no universal cause and effect(…)

This “recent scientific study” conducted in 1887 is actually a Michelson?Morley experiment which was designed to support the idea of “luminiferous aether” - a medium for propagation of the light. Experiment “failed”. To our knowledge light needs no medium to propagate. It had nothing to do with “Absolute” or “Allness”.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelson–Morley_experiment)

I also had a little thought about subject of the article (apart of scientific aspect). It seems that Author hopes that by seeing that we are all connected, that we are one, we would be better toward each other and world in general. It makes sense in some way - lot of hate is conditioned by perception of “other”, of people of different features, beliefs etc. So by eradicating the “other” is the way to go. But I’m not sure of this, because of 2 things:

1. There is also a lot of “hate” which is self-directed.
  2. It seems very few people experience this “oneness” and it requires lot of training and effort to change this perception. So this solution may be not applicable to majority of people.

Also, I thought that instead of eradicating the “other” by oneness - we may learn how to love and respect the “other”. Without support in realization that we are in fact one, but just because the “other” deserves love and respect.

Just FYI - I am definitely not a physics guru, but the unified field theory and a ‘theory of everything’ have been used interchangeably for awhile. I also write about developing a witness and discuss the ‘other’ in great detail in many other articles on this forum and elsewhere. String theory - is still just that - a theory because it cannot be proved inside the normal conditions of scientific research, however, life force or Prana could not be measured by science (until recently with Kirlian photography and the like) until very recently, but it is now coming to be understood as a very real and elemental force in the Universe. I welcome discourse. I think people should make up their own minds, but the real point of my article is bigger than scientific jargon. The only reason I use science to define ideas of the sutra is for the same reason Paramahansa would compare an octopus to the ego. It is all a metaphor - for connection - for being of one fabric. We see the body for example as one thing - seperate - an “other”, but it is really, on a biologic level, over 50,000 trillion organisms working to be “one.” You can break this down into smaller and smaller part - and in physics, I believe scientists are trying to do the same - break things into smaller and smaller indivisible parts until they find the originating principle, but consciousness is tricky. When it is observed it changes - so for now, we have no way of “proving” that originating principle, but it doesn’t mean we can’t still try. When Pawel says that the “other” deserves love and respect, this is the bottom line. Perhaps you disagree with my interpretation of a scientific metaphor, but this is the ultimate point I was trying to make, and may have failed.

"unified field theory or Theory of Everything (TOE)
Unified field theory is sometimes called the Theory of Everything (TOE, for short): the long-sought means of tying together all known phenomena to explain the nature and behavior of all matter and energy in existence. In physics, a field refers to an area under the influence of some force, such as gravity or electricity, for example. A unified field theory would reconcile seemingly incompatible aspects of various field theories to create a single comprehensive set of equations. Such a theory could potentially unlock all the secrets of nature and make a myriad of wonders possible, including such benefits as time travel and an inexhaustible source of clean energy, among many others. According to Michio Katu, a theoretical physicist at City College, City University of New York, those in pursuit of a unified field theory seek "an equation
LEARN MORE
CIO Midmarket Resources
an inch long that would allow us to read the mind of God."
James Clerk Maxwell proposed the first field theory, for electromagnetism, in the middle of the 1800s. Early in the 20th century, Albert Einstein’s general theory of relativity - dealing with gravitation - became the second field theory. The term unified field theory was coined by Einstein, who was attempting to prove that electromagnetism and gravity were different manifestations of a single fundamental field. When quantum theory entered the picture, the puzzle became more complex. The theory of relativity explains the nature and behavior of all phenomena on the macroscopic level (things that are visible to the naked eye); quantum theory explains the nature and behavior of all phenomena on the microscopic (atomic and subatomic) level. Perplexingly, however, the two theories are incompatible. Unconvinced that nature would prescribe totally different modes of behavior for phenomena that were simply scaled differently, Einstein sought a theory that would reconcile the two apparently irreconcilable theories that form the basis of modern physics.

Although electromagnetism and the strong and weak nuclear forces have long been explained by a single theory known as the standard model, gravitation does not fit into the equation. The current quest for a unified field theory (sometimes called the holy grail of physicists) is largely focused on superstring theory and, in particular, on an adaptation known as M-theory"

[QUOTE=YogiDiva;57868]Just FYI - I am definitely not a physics guru, but the unified field theory and a ‘theory of everything’ have been used interchangeably for awhile. I also write about developing a witness and discuss the ‘other’ in great detail in many other articles on this forum and elsewhere. String theory - is still just that - a theory because it cannot be proved inside the normal conditions of scientific research, however, life force or Prana could not be measured by science (until recently with Kirlian photography and the like) until very recently, but it is now coming to be understood as a very real and elemental force in the Universe. I welcome discourse. I think people should make up their own minds, but the real point of my article is bigger than scientific jargon. The only reason I use science to define ideas of the sutra is for the same reason Paramahansa would compare an octopus to the ego. It is all a metaphor - for connection - for being of one fabric. We see the body for example as one thing - seperate - an “other”, but it is really, on a biologic level, over 50,000 trillion organisms working to be “one.” You can break this down into smaller and smaller part - and in physics, I believe scientists are trying to do the same - break things into smaller and smaller indivisible parts until they find the originating principle, but consciousness is tricky. When it is observed it changes - so for now, we have no way of “proving” that originating principle, but it doesn’t mean we can’t still try. When Pawel says that the “other” deserves love and respect, this is the bottom line. Perhaps you disagree with my interpretation of a scientific metaphor, but this is the ultimate point I was trying to make, and may have failed. [/QUOTE]

If you wanted to use science as a metaphor, than its different - now I look at your article from different perspective. But from what you wrote its not obvious. It seems you are using those scientific concepts (BTW, they are not some sort of jargon - people spend lives working on those theories) as a support and proof of “spiritual” concepts. It would be clearer if you would use expression such as: “oneness is [B]like[/B] unified field in physics, encompassing everything and explaining everything”. Then it would be a metaphor - I would know that you are just comparing things. However, I think people understand better spiritual concepts than extremely complex theories of physics - it may be even that spiritual concepts are better metaphor of physics than other way around.

I think careful expression is important. Scientific language is very precise. When someone is using it I automatically switch to different way of reading. Then such “hidden metaphors” look to me as false statements and I feel that author either has no understanding and just propagates cool sounding sci-fi or wants to mislead people into believing that science is supporting his arguments.

Good attempt but alas, naive. We all know that (even though unable to express verbally due to our procrastination habits) things will end badly, because the industrial world is suffering from a terminal delusion.

For me, the only convincing suff remained is what Chaos theory + Gaia theory explains, created conditions, which are dynamic and highly sensitive, are affected by the changes in initial, rooted conditions (Chaos), and that initial conditions could similarly be highly sensitive if created conditions attempt to overwhelm initial conditions. In other words, we have evolved as natural species, but we have abandoned that position long ago - today, “we” are the “created conditions,” who appear as a non-linear direction in the natural equation.

A real change in human mind is first to embody the ethos of destruction-regeneration. Civilizations begin, civilizations end. Death is a part of life. A mind that is established in this ethos will have the potentiality to free itself from delusions and attachments. This is the mind that opens the path to enlightenment.