Yogic diet and everyday life?

In my attempt to find the best diet to lose the weight I’ve gained these last 4 years, and while I was discovering yoga and meditation I came to realize that the answer is not in following a particular diet, one that aims to make you lose wait, nor it is to kill yourself with exercises. The point is to actually adopt a whole lifestyle, diet included, that will allow you to respect this body you have and to perform better in yoga and meditation. Respecting the body you have includes: keeping it healthy and beautiful. You need to be aware of the kind of foods you are having and not fall into excesses.

Now, although I came to this conclusion only recently I have become determined to fulfill it and live by such rules. However, the first obstacle that I am facing is being able to maintain such a lifestyle while I am living a very modern and “urban” life and most importantly that I am in a country where “yoga” “healthy diets” are not included in the vocabulary. Many ingredients are not available at the market or are very expensive for me.

I have another problem too! I am a big cheese and fish eater! I willingly could give up eating meat but it would be difficult to forsake chesse and fish!
There is another issue! Sattvic food is supposed to be “fresh” which is practically impossible due to the modern lifestyle we have!
Besides, I do not live alone! I love with a family composed of 8 members! So shopping is usually done by my parents and they do it once a week.
Well, this is not a problem I can do my shopping anyway, I can find most of the ingredients for sattvic recipes do not need much anyway.
But the real problem is: how ready am I to give up “good food” which is not necessarily healthy and sattvic for “healthy food”???

I have found that it is necessary to spend time preparing your own meals to truly eat a healthy diet. Small changes over the years have made this easy and pleasurable. Also, prepackaged and processed foods are actually more costly, both at the register and in the long run, than the fresh fruits and veggies. Maybe your family would be interested in a co-op or farmer’s market? Also, on a personal note, I enjoy dairy and fish too, just not on the regular. Do your best, yoga is a balance. Good luck!

I have not found prepackaged and processed foods to be more costly. In fact, the cheapest way I could live would be on canned food, hamburger helper, and oatmeal. A raw diet would be one of the most expensive I could conceive of, unless I ate all potatoes.

I have found the best diet for myself is a blend of convenient foods and wholesome foods. My life and job require a lot of work and I don’t always have the time to devote to pure foods. On my days off I eat whole foods, where I take the the time to chop veggies and prepare my meal with care. On my busy days I have a few “go to” foods which include eggs, baked beans, whole wheat pasta with organic jar sauces, and frozen pizza.

[QUOTE=BlueLotus;49332]My life and job require a lot of work and I don’t always have the time to devote to pure foods. a.[/QUOTE]

Lol… I’ve been there… what your really saying is, you don’t MAKE the time. You can’t use the ‘Oh no I don’t have time’ excuse. I used to use that so I could eat McDonalds everyday lol :wink:

I am gonna have to disagree! I think that sometimes the “time” factor is not an excuse! Well, of course you can go the hard way but sometimes you really really don’t have the time nor the energy!

Oh yeah, I agree. I have other priorities. Like rest, and planning for my work, and doing yoga, etc. I am not always willing to chop every veggie and cook brown rice and make sauces from scratch. If I did that sometimes I would arrive home from work, start cooking and do that for 2 hours, eat the food, and then be getting ready for bed. Do I have time for that? Sure! But I’m not gonna do it every day.

Yeah, especially that you need to consume fresh food! It would be a lot easier if you could cook a huge quantity and store it!

Hi,

What is the best juice to drink before Bikram yoga?

Kind regards,

Pragna

There is no “quick fix” easy way to drop pounds fast. It’s just not possible, or at least possible in the sense of it being done in a healthy way. The only way to lose weight is by eating right and exercising. Eat about 4 or 5 small, healthy meals a day and exercise with both cardio and strength training. growingtallerstretches.com/

It might be useful to know what foods to avoid:

http://www.msgtruth.org/avoid.htm

Unfortunately, there are many foods to avoid.

Yesterday 06-Feb-11 in Canada there was a TV show documentary about McDonalds.

It was frightening ! People eating there often get really sick.

There is a pandemic of obesity and diabete due to fast food chains. Health officials are
shocked. If the present trend continues, in a few years one of three will become diabetic.

Dear Global Yoga Brotherhood,
In this time of exponentially growing stress and violence, with destructive global implications, Yoga offers an excellent means of achieving the goal of, ?Yog Mayam Vishwam Kuru?, (bringing about Global Peace, Progress and Prosperity).
With a polluted environment and higher stress levels, lifestyle disorders are on the rise. Presently, we are witnessing growing dependence on medicinal drugs, to find a quick relief from the mounting stress and numerous other ailments. This dependence has several side-effects on the mental and physical state of people. World over, there is tremendous growth of people living in stress, affected by respiratory ailments, hypertension and diabetes. It is therefore crucial to wake up to the drugless, preventive and curative aspects of Yog. The true practice of Yog has to be restored and promoted by bringing all its exponents, researchers, religious leaders and scientists under a single umbrella. Yogic practice has to be encouraged for the well-being of all mankind.

The Global Yog Week has been dedicated for global peace, progress and prosperity. The theme of the international Yog seminar will be ?Yog for Holistic Living?. This program will be organized at Talkatora Indoor stadium, New Delhi from 18 ? 20 April, 2011. The theme of the workshop will be ?Neglected Aspects of Life Management?. You will have a unique opportunity to interact with religious leaders of all religions, great Yog masters, scientists, educationists and people from all walks of life. In addition to this you will also get an opportunity to witness performing art of India including music, dance and also yogasana world cup.
Yog has no boundaries or any religious connotations. I urge my brothers & sisters from across the globe to join me in this humane initiative to lay the foundation of a global Yog movement for holistic living. I ensure, you will gain rich insight from accomplished Yog masters.
I welcome you to the land of seers & yogis to have a wonderful experience of understanding Yog.

Yes you do, especially that you need to consume fresh food! It would be a lot easier if you could cook a huge quantity and store it!

God resides in our body. Treat this body divine. Give it the food that we offer to god.

It certainly important to eat healthly: fresh food, balanced, and void of chemicals, preservatives, bad fats and excess sugar. It all may sound boring, if not frightening. But really, one you know a few key recipes, and how to leverage all natural ingredients, you’d be surprised at how tasty and delicious meals and desserts can be. I would recommend buying an organic cookbook; it will give you the secrets to making healthy chocolate cake, veggie lasanga and the best tasting bugers ever (just with different healthy ingredients).

[QUOTE=kidvisions;49299] Sattvic food is supposed to be “fresh” which is practically impossible due to the modern lifestyle we have!
Besides, I do not live alone! I love with a family composed of 8 members! So shopping is usually done by my parents and they do it once a week.
[/QUOTE]

it is hard to do with 8 people eating something else. I had four people pressing on me, but I still followed my diet. It is sort of exercise;)

Impossible??? hmm…lets say challenging, something need to be sacrificed… I cook 3 meals a day, sacrificed my corporate job, some personal life, some material goodies…