Bored with Hatha Yoga

This is so strange, although I still practice Hatha and teach Hatha Yoga, I feel my motivation is slowly fading. I want to do something faster that will make me sweat. I have been doing kundalini when I am not teaching but want to do more. Has this happened to anyone else. I know from some articles I have read it is not uncommon. :eek:

[QUOTE=secretangel;21001]This is so strange, although I still practice Hatha and teach Hatha Yoga, I feel my motivation is slowly fading. I want to do something faster that will make me sweat. I have been doing kundalini when I am not teaching but want to do more. Has this happened to anyone else. I know from some articles I have read it is not uncommon. :eek:[/QUOTE]

What’s wrong with taking another type of class to change it up every now and then? Don’t make it deeper then it has to be.

lashannasmall

thank you for that, but I just thought I would never feel like this.

[QUOTE=secretangel;21004]lashannasmall

thank you for that, but I just thought I would never feel like this.[/QUOTE]

I believe it is very natural to feel that you will never feel like this. But it is also very natural that you will feel like this at some point.

To answer you original question, I feel this way all the time. I get started onto something while I enjoy to a degree that I feel and honestly strongly believe this is for life and I will/ would love to do this all my life. But those are just feelings, they fade even thought I would believe that this time it won’t :slight_smile:

Same with my yoga practice, I have been doing it on and off since last 2 years. But doing it on a very regular basis since last 2 1/2 months. I have always strongly believe this is going to be for life and I will keep enjoying doing this all my life without missing a single day. I believe there is no reason I will miss a single day becuase since I enjoyed this and since it has so many benefits, yoga will be on my top priority. But those are just feelings. Those change. I am starting to find myself that I am not challenged or motivated enought like I used to be. I also find myself not enjoying it as much as before. I am still searching for the reasons from teh within though.

I still practice regularly, but there is not enthusiam whatsoever. It is like I want more of a challenge. I will continue praticing. I am doing Yoga dance which is fun but I dont feel the sweat if you know what I mean

I could give you anecdotal feedback and we could all have a smile and a chuckle. Or I could project my own issues onto your situation.

However I prefer to offer you something of yoga in a reply. In order to do that you’d actually have to share something of who you are since we are completely behind doors here on the internet.

I see you’ve been practicing for 17 years but…Are you 30 or 70? Male or female? What is your practice, lifestyle, diet like?

What training do you have or what studies are you employing relative to applied philosophy? I’m speaking specifically of Tapas, Santosha, and Svadhyaya.

gordon

Hi secretangel,

that is a beautiful name!

You know, I think you know the answer yourself. If you look very deeply into who you are, and get in touch with your body, you know the answer.
When you feel like you want to sweat more, it could be that your body wants to detox, so, take care of your body ;), listen to it and act to its needs.

You can quit Hatha yoga and go to for example Power yoga. If you feel better with that, that is okay! Don’t stick to things because your mind is telling you to do so, if you know what I mean.

I’m dutch, so it sometimes is difficult for me to express myself very well in a foreign language :D.

Take care!

Savita

I took up biking to sweat. I have no complaints anymore about my yoga practice being quiet and slow and relaxing.

I felt this way after 12 years of Hatha. It’s a really simple solution.

Find a different teacher.

I know it sounds crazy for a hatha teacher, but there are levels. I had the pleasure of working with Kim Schwartz on a hatha video we are doing with him. I took his courses prior, and many other classes and intensives. But, spending a week with him showed me that I got out of my hatha practice what I put into it. It’s all about the isometric, the alignment and the ‘squeeze of the prana’. It revolutionized my practice. And you know what? Even he goes to a master to intensify his practice too.

Shanti shanti

ri

[QUOTE=Bluedot;21031]I felt this way after 12 years of Hatha. It’s a really simple solution.

Find a different teacher.

I know it sounds crazy for a hatha teacher, but there are levels. I had the pleasure of working with Kim Schwartz on a hatha video we are doing with him. I took his courses prior, and many other classes and intensives. But, spending a week with him showed me that I got out of my hatha practice what I put into it. It’s all about the isometric, the alignment and the ‘squeeze of the prana’. It revolutionized my practice. And you know what? Even he goes to a master to intensify his practice too.

Shanti shanti

ri[/QUOTE]

That has been on my mind, go to a class, I got myself a DVD Babara Currie - power yoga but found it was more or less the same. I will go and get a ashtanga DVD and maybe take up bike riding.

[QUOTE=InnerAthlete;21013]I could give you anecdotal feedback and we could all have a smile and a chuckle. Or I could project my own issues onto your situation.

However I prefer to offer you something of yoga in a reply. In order to do that you’d actually have to share something of who you are since we are completely behind doors here on the internet.

I see you’ve been practicing for 17 years but…Are you 30 or 70? Male or female? What is your practice, lifestyle, diet like?

What training do you have or what studies are you employing relative to applied philosophy? I’m speaking specifically of Tapas, Santosha, and Svadhyaya.

gordon[/QUOTE]

Hi Gordon,

I am female and 39 years old. I dont mind teaching / instructing but for me it is not fast enough, if that makes sense.

[QUOTE=Savita yoga;21015]Hi secretangel,

that is a beautiful name!

You know, I think you know the answer yourself. If you look very deeply into who you are, and get in touch with your body, you know the answer.
When you feel like you want to sweat more, it could be that your body wants to detox, so, take care of your body ;), listen to it and act to its needs.

You can quit Hatha yoga and go to for example Power yoga. If you feel better with that, that is okay! Don’t stick to things because your mind is telling you to do so, if you know what I mean.

I’m dutch, so it sometimes is difficult for me to express myself very well in a foreign language :D.

Take care!

Savita[/QUOTE]

Hi Savita,

Thank you for that, yes you are right I need to look deep down inside and listen to my body again. Maybe that is where I got lost.

Secretangel

I don’t have much familiarity with other than Hatha , but I have taken 2 different Kundalini classes, the first just to check it out and one at a retreat . I was confused by the 1st and didn’t understand what it was trying to do ; the 2nd was very understandable, methodically opening up chakra’s; it felt great and it made sense. So, for me , the teacher made the difference. I still love my Hatha. Namaste

[QUOTE=TonyTamer;21063]I don’t have much familiarity with other than Hatha , but I have taken 2 different Kundalini classes, the first just to check it out and one at a retreat . I was confused by the 1st and didn’t understand what it was trying to do ; the 2nd was very understandable, methodically opening up chakra’s; it felt great and it made sense. So, for me , the teacher made the difference. I still love my Hatha. Namaste[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that Tony.

I watched Maya Finesse-The White Room - Kundalini. Yes it deals with opening the Chakras, but some of the workouts really did appeal to me. I will continue to practice Hatha but will do Kundalini as well. Although I just watched it first time, it all made perfect sense and also seemed challenging. :wink:

[QUOTE=secretangel;21001]This is so strange, although I still practice Hatha and teach Hatha Yoga, I feel my motivation is slowly fading. I want to do something faster that will make me sweat. I have been doing kundalini when I am not teaching but want to do more. Has this happened to anyone else. I know from some articles I have read it is not uncommon. :eek:[/QUOTE]

I have practiced Ashtanga for the past 4 years and find it very physically and mentally challenging. There are so many levels to it that it can be difficult to get bored. That being said, I started feeling the routine of the practice and wanted to take it to another level, so I have also begun practicing Iyengar and found that it adds to my practice by allowing me to isolate and think about each posture.

Try mixing it up with different styles.

Hi Secret Angel,

Passion will always go thru highs and lows, regardless of what that passion is for. You seem to have answered the question, in “add something else to your life” in this case cycling, which should be quite complementary to your existing base.

With the yoga, perhaps you need to challenge yourself or think outside the square, so to find new meaning. When I read your thread initially I thought the term “Dynamic Hatha” which is used to describe a faster Hatha, but perhaps its time to embark on a more varied branch of yoga than your current one.

Yoga is one form of helping you get into shape, but it is not the only one. I, myself enjoy walking, jumping rope, and I am looking into getting this one exercise tape. Sometimes you get bored, but it’s okay to have more than one thing that you like to do. I totally agree with Lashanna. Mixing it up is a great idea.

[QUOTE=QueenMaa;21430]Yoga is one form of helping you get into shape, but it is not the only one. I, myself enjoy walking, jumping rope, and I am looking into getting this one exercise tape. Sometimes you get bored, but it’s okay to have more than one thing that you like to do. I totally agree with Lashanna. Mixing it up is a great idea.[/QUOTE]

I walk two miles everyday. I have also started Yoga Dance again which I really enjoy. I am doing Kundalini 3 times a week so I feel I am getting there.

Thank you all

Asanas are nothing but postures in which a person sits or stands. We often come across the term ‘Body Language’, which means movements and postures by which attitudes and feelings of a person are communicated. If our bodies are so powerful to convey our state of mind merely through postures then it is very much possible to practice the reverse science of it. This is exactly where the idea of practicing hatha yoga lies. Although there could be innumerable poses that a body can perform, there are a certain number of poses which tend to benefit our body and shape our attitude in the best possible way. These poses are known as hatha yoga poses or asanas and are tried and tested methods to regulate the flow of energy in one’s body. The ultimate goal of a yogi is to attain an aware state of mind.
benefits of hatha yoga asanas.

Do you have access to a hot studio space? That would definitely increase your sweat / workout. If not, perhaps a sunny room without A/C? I'm trying to get creative. You could challenge yourself in Hatha by deepening the poses or working towards more challenging and advanced poses and balances to mix it up and keep you challenged. When I'm challenged and finally achieve a pose I've been working towards for months it really keeps me interested. Is yoga your only form of exercise? I also like walking outdoors I find it peaceful to stay present and take in nature while getting a workout. There are some additional benefits here to help keep you motivated. Good luck!